Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

discus in aquatic village

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 16:49 #31 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
Price is not an indicator of quality.

Quality is more important than price to me, but thats just me, I dont look at the price tag first thing when I walk into a shop. If you like it, and its reasonable, buy it, dont moan about it.

Reasonable,a word often spoken but never put into practice!!You have to remember Dave that most of us are fishkeepers who can quantify elements within the hobby fairly well.The other end of the scale is the business fishkeeper (who also can quantify elements) and it is natural that arguments like this are going to happen.As a small scale breeder I see the end of the hobby where I sell fish for next to nothing and I see others doing it too.Im sure alot of people will know what Im talking about!When you see fish that expensive it is going to create a stir,people think are fish going to go like house prices?
It is all harmless enough speculation and banter,nothing to get worked up about,not that anyone is worked up!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2007 16:54 #32 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Quite right, however I do think its a little unfair to assume that I am coming from a 'business' end. I work in aquatic Village, true, however I am merely a voice here and am voicing me opinions as a hobbyiest, not as an employee. However you are right, they're aspects of the trade that people dont relise, and discussions like this will always happen, wether its fish or cars, whatever.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 16:58 #33 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Sorry,I didnt mean you were from the business end,quite the oppposite!!Im talking about people who dont give a s**t about fish,just €'s.Obviously you love your fish.

More
08 Mar 2007 16:58 #34 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
In relation to the Quote, it can and it cant. In lemans terms:

Johnny walks into his porsche dealer and buys a car for €150,000. Johnny can be sure that it has all documentation, roadworthy, and everything is in honesty. He drives home happy in his new car, and happy that it will perform to the cost he paid for it.

However if Johnny buys a dodgy looking 97 Hyundai Accent out of the BuyandSell of 'Anto' for €1,000 cash. Johnny, has no gaurantee that its going to make it to the petrol station, let alone down the drive.

Kind of off the topic, but it does prove a point. Price generally is an indication of quality, to a degree.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
08 Mar 2007 17:01 #35 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Fishkeeping is a major passion of mine. Its something I take pride in, considering my marine set up cost me well over €2000 to establish and continues to cost(food, salt etc) I wouldnt assume money has nothing to do with it. Of course it does, however I dont mind paying for something which IMO is quality, and I think an after sales service gives me more reason to, whatever you buy, just like Johnny up there.

Am I not right?

Qui Vivra Verra.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 17:15 #36 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
I dont see the relevance of your point.What has a Porshe being serviced got to do with anything?

Dont try to justify anything Dave,if you think it is proper order then it is,no one is going to try to make you see otherwise.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2007 17:44 #37 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
First of all Dave you talk about finnage.
Form and then colour is the most important thing when looking for quality Discus. The further removed and inbred the fish the more morphed looking they become.

Second, Red Turqs are probably the most common Discus you can get and €180 is way over the top even for a Discus that size. Wether you believe it or not Ireland is the worse place for buying Discus and the arse has fallen out of the market. Charging €180 for a poor specimen Discus is daylight robbery.
Mark Evenden sold his best British champion Discus last year for £140 sterling. Like Holgar I know where to get quality Discus and sadly it is not here. I don`t mean AV but Ireland. I have never been to middletown and I am making a generalisation.

Thirdly. This is a forum and people are intitled to their opinion. If someone was interesed in those and asked me what I thinkI would say they are colourless/ have no form and look aged to me. Probably too olg to breed.I would not recommend them.

Fourth. W all know you work for Av (or did) I have spent a fortune there down through the years and if I see a fish I like or want I will pay the money for it. I have bought some super Discus there aswell as Catfish and Cichlids never mind the frozen food.
I bought Discus ther before and nearly all mine died within a week because I did not quarantine your fish. Your fish are Asian and mine were German. It does not mean that your Discus were diseased, my Discus had not built up an immumities to the mutated strains of external bacterial parasites that your fish had. Might write a post on that.

Fifth.
As you know I am against sensorship and let most things go on this forum.
Members were not slagging the shop, infact nothing but good has been said about AV. The posta were about 2 bloody Discus. A member taught they were something special. Other more experienced members expessed their more expert opinion.That is the idea of a forum.
You said you only have a few years experience. There are people out there who have kept fish for decades and know diddly squat about them.
Some people myself included read and read(or have done) and have gotten to know people who in there opinion are experst and have learned from them. You would see hundreds of species because of were you work and you have a top man there in Drew who would not put you wrong.

Don`t be too quick to go on the offensive, I think you got a little up tight about the fish and got your wires crossed.
Next week someone could post a pic of new Discus you get and they might be STUNNING as Drew would say.

Peace man.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 02:25 #38 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: discus in aquatic village
Hi Dave,
2000€ for a marine system is quite cheap in my mind. But alas, I wouldn't get it for trade price :D.
You mentioned that you had your own supplier in the far East. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't these considerably cheaper than quality European stock. OK, you will have to pay for shipping but I would imagine that you are bringing in more than just discus from that one supplier. My local LFS (not Midleton by the way) does. The fish they get are OK, what he does with them afterwards is a different matter, unfortunately. He tells me it is cheaper to bring them in from Asia rather than from Europe.
So I think we can neglect the cost factor.
As I mentioned before on the continent you can get wild caught Alenquer fish for less than 50€ and the people selling them don't do it for charity either. Coming to think of it, most of them drive pretty big cars too.
I do agree with Anto that Ireland is one of the most expensive countries to buy discus in. And I also agree that red turqs are the most common in the hobby now. Adults shouldn't be selling for less than 90 € especially if they are coming from the Far East since they are mass produced over there.

And if you want to draw comparison with Fins and Things, at present he sell solid blues and yellow adults for 90€. And they are the size of dinner plates. He runs a fairly small business and has to look after his margins as well. But he doesn't drive that Porsche either.

Holger

More
09 Mar 2007 05:39 #39 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
hmmm.. all getting a bit messy... everyone has had their say. close the thread

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 05:52 #40 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
So we are all agreed,Discus are expensive.The thread cont be locked unless things get out of hand,right now everything is fair and out in the open.If you want it locked Damian you are going to have to stir :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: things up to boiling point Im afraid.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 16:47 #41 by Anthony (Anthony)

hmmm.. all getting a bit messy... everyone has had their say. close the thread

It won`t be locked. Its a fair point, We are having a civilised debate.
Nobody is being slagged. I would be happy to have this help if I was a novice buyer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 17:15 #42 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Chris,
discus, well maybe not wild caught ones, shouldn't be as epensive as they are. Let's just get away from discus for a minute. I have seen some Tropheus for sale for 75€ a pop. I have seen the same fish for less than 35 in Holland. Where is the justification for that? Every fish gets his own seat in the plane on the way over.
Let's face it people, we are being taken to the cleaners. But we all know that, don't we since it's not only fish and aquarium equipment that we are getting screwed over...
Holger

More
09 Mar 2007 17:29 #43 by JohnH (John)

I do agree with Anto that Ireland is one of the most expensive countries to buy discus in

Not just Discus, for Discus substitute the words "Any Fish". :( :( :(

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Mar 2007 17:41 #44 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think Ireland is one of the most expensive places to buy anything. Cars, electrical, fish - you name it.

I think this thread has very strong opinions from people who haven't actually seen the fish. You can't judge from a camera phone.

I'm not a discus keeper, but I do know a healthy fish when I see it and these fish looked good to me. It's worth dropping into AV if you're out that direction and make up your own mind.

Regards,

Ken.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 18:00 #45 by Anthony (Anthony)
Its the form that puts me off. It is super high finned and the point that they (Red Turqs) are as common a muck.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 18:12 #46 by Anthony (Anthony)
By the way the Discus are not €180 but €295 each. An 07 Porsche must be on order :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Hope Ian see`s the funny side. :wink:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 03:41 #47 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I just put a brown deposit in my pants. I seriously have to start putting pictures on the forum and start selling my fish. Pay me two hundred each and I'll even bag them for you and deliver to your door....
All jokes aside, the are red turqs,as Anthony already mentioned, the most common strain. I can get you a breeding pair for that with spare change for a couple of juvies. Never mind if the picture was taken with a camera phone and didn't turn out that well but you cannot justify that sort of money for a red turq.
I'm actually still in shock. Got to show my wife how much we can make with discus. The kids playroom will be converted into a fish room in short order :D

More
10 Mar 2007 04:58 #48 by steven (steven)
295 euro now thats off the wall rip off Republic.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
10 Mar 2007 09:31 #49 by JohnH (John)

295 euro now thats off the wall rip off Republic.

The saddest thing of all about this is that there are people paying that price!!! :shock:

Prices in this country will never become reasonable while shops can ask, and get, such exorbitant prices! :o

I despair! It's times like these that I'm glad I don't like Discus (except Tefe Greens, which I could never afford and would be far too lazy to give them the proper attention which they would require).
:roll:
John

ITFS member.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 14:53 #50 by Anthony (Anthony)
These are a pair of Stendker Discus taken with a camera phone.
Blue Snakeskin. 8" accross. Paid €150 for the two of them not each.

The discus in the back is not a reflection but the female.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 15:03 #51 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
That sounds about right. Nice fish. Where did you buy them?

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 17:33 #52 by Anthony (Anthony)
Off a guy who imports and breeds Stendker Discus. He has some quality discus

More
11 Mar 2007 15:43 #53 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

In relation to the Quote, it can and it cant. In lemans terms:

Johnny walks into his porsche dealer and buys a car for €150,000. Johnny can be sure that it has all documentation, roadworthy, and everything is in honesty. He drives home happy in his new car, and happy that it will perform to the cost he paid for it.

However if Johnny buys a dodgy looking 97 Hyundai Accent out of the BuyandSell of 'Anto' for €1,000 cash. Johnny, has no gaurantee that its going to make it to the petrol station, let alone down the drive.

Kind of off the topic, but it does prove a point. Price generally is an indication of quality, to a degree.

That a bad comparison, as you are comparing the new porsche to an old Hyundai, if you had a new Hyundai and a new Porsche, which would give less trouble after 4.3 years with the same miles. :?:

www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10_worst.h...apc=3128339010848601

:roll:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
11 Mar 2007 19:37 #54 by JohnH (John)

I didn't realise you were selling secondhand cars...any bargains?
Johnny

ITFS member.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 04:19 #55 by Anthony (Anthony)
Very Happy with my Avensis. :wink:

More
12 Mar 2007 05:18 #56 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
€295 each!!!!!!!!!

Are people off their heads paying that. I'm in shock.

Anto, that is one quality fish you got there.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 05:31 #57 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Finally, some sense of reality prevails.
On the other hand if you can get away with charging 295€ fair enough. People with too much money and not enough sense.

More
12 Mar 2007 05:45 #58 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Finally, some sense of reality prevails.
On the other hand if you can get away with charging 295€ fair enough. People with too much money and not enough sense.

We can only knock the price not the shop neither Hoger or my self have every visited the shop due to the geographies, so dont think we a putting down the shop, we are not!!!!!!!! it sounds in fact all things considered a good shop, I dont think its the camera angle why the discus looks so bulky on the head, its been bread that way as discus keepers are macho and like their fish to look like bull dogs instead of the more dainty femanine discus that naturally occurs, which is really in any case derived from a rainbow trout not in breading colours/season that go run over by a truck outside the trout fishery, then marked up a a brown/blue discus squashed and flatted out of the trout shape into the true discus shape.
That probally explains why they are difficult to keep with all that internal injuries.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 06:28 #59 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Sean,
get your facts right. They are flattened brook traout, not rainbows. Nicer red coloration :D

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2007 11:25 #60 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Brown trout
Yes I agree you cant beat a nice brown Trout with Chips!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds