Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

people lurking in the shadows

More
26 Oct 2011 21:17 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I see at any given time there s quite a lot of people online.

Cant help noticeing that theres only ever a hand full of people that post seems its the same group of people posting every day.

Now i dont know if this is down to people being afraid they ll be shot down or if people think there to good for our forum or maybe they think theres noting intresting enough being talked about.

But im concerned over this and think people have to start get involved again on the forum

any one share this view

craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2011 22:07 #2 by andrewo (andrew)
Fair point raised Craig; also would be nice if the usual 200 odd 'guests' who is looking at the site were to join up with us ; all the better! :)

More
26 Oct 2011 22:11 #3 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Very true yeah what could ya do tho could ya block non members from viewing site

would that be right or wrong to do

craig

More
26 Oct 2011 22:13 #4 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
i was thinkin the same me self craig although some ppl come on and do a bit off readin up on different bits and bobs and dont post (me at the start:L:L)

again i dont see how there is nothin on the forum for everyone to post something on as there is always different topics and im sure there is something for everyone

and plus at the start i didnt post much as i was not sure wat i am talkin about (still dont ha) and i didnt want to make a fool off meself sayin something that is not right love love ta see more ppl postin and im sure they will when they get to read on and learn a few bits and bobs

also i wouls like to thank all the poster that are always on and are there to help anyone that needs something answered or to find out something and same for the admin

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
26 Oct 2011 22:15 #5 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Thats the way it is on forums. You will always have the lurkers. When i started on here i lurked for a while let me tel ye and then decided on an intro and before ye know it I was whackin out the posts. Thats the cycle of forums. You lurk, you particapate and then you relax and move on or go back to lurkin again as the same threads repeat themselves and you have seen them all. The main thing is that the forum gives you a spark of knowledge and communication so for the amount of time you spend on here is down to you and thats forum life. :crazy:

Follow me up to Carlow

More
26 Oct 2011 22:15 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
I don't think there is 200 guests I think that's a problem with the site which has being going on for month's now

John H to the rescue ;)

Mark

More
26 Oct 2011 22:18 - 26 Oct 2011 22:23 #7 by JohnH (John)
You could be right - to a degree - Craig, but this stems back to a while back (I think you were AWOL yourself at the time :whistle: ) when the Forum became the victim of a serious 'intervention' and we were getting bogus membership applications from many hundreds every day.
Eventually the Forum had to be closed down until Darragh was able to update the server and restore the Forum.
Sadly though, since then I have noticed that the Forum now has many, many 'guests' and for myself I think it's these 'hackers' still trying to spoil the Forum, but with a good dollop of luck they will eventually tire of this ploy and move their attention elsewhere.

I think, therefore, that these can be disregarded and that only a very small percentage of 'guests' are just that, people who do not wish to join up to the Forum, possibly for the reasons you describe.

It was ever thus, that only a small percentage of members were regular posters - this is true of most Fora, no matter what the subject matter might be.

As has so often been said previously, sometimes even by me, any Forum is only as good as the active members make it.

So come on lads - get those typing fingers active!

(Right, that's me finished - back to the shadows).

John

Edit,
Funny that, I was typing the reply only to find a whole pile of sensible replies had already been posted, still, that's what comes of being such a slow typist!

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2011 22:23 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling

More
26 Oct 2011 22:24 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Very true sean but thats the thing there shouldnt be any fear of saying some thing stupid the forum is a place to learn.

I know me self ive learned from saying some thing and it being a wrong thing to be doing so i.was told it was wrong and instructed to do it the right way.

Any given day people are on asking for help and i just think more people need to be posting help for.others.

Pictures of set ups new fish new tank s.

Bye doing that you are helping people.with ideas on there say for example first set ups understanding what fish should go in tanks toghter what substrates to use with certain fish

the list go s on

so you dont even know it and your helping people bye shareing your set ups

craig

More
26 Oct 2011 22:30 #9 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
True Craig but as i said some people are happy lurkin and learning and letting other forum members post but maybe one day some of these will start off with their intro and the cycle starts again. Fairplay to all that post as these are the crew that make any forum.

Follow me up to Carlow

More
26 Oct 2011 22:30 #10 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I was on a fish keeping break john to.free my mind wanted every type of fish and invert out there salt water and fresh water hahahahaha :cool: but im back now have found the direction i.want and am going to go with it hahahaha

i wouldnt class you as a lurker john

you are the forum the heart and sole of it even when your not here ;)

craig

More
27 Oct 2011 10:28 #11 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I can only speak for myself but i like logging on to have a read, gain experience and break the boredom of work.

I'm only in the fish game for 2 years so reading topics like "tips for water changes" etc helps a lot. I feel i wouldn't have enough experience to post answers to a lot of these topics but like reading about other people experiences to try and avoid potential pitfalls.

If i have had any questions i have posted them and the anwsers i've gotten back have helped an awful lot. I posted a question here a while ago about the best filter for a 550 litre tank and the responses i got back helped with my decision.

What i'm trying to say is as i get more experience i will hopefully be in a better position to help people and will be glad to do so.

At the moment if there are any questions about FX5's or how other fish don't get on well with piranha's, i'm all over it :)

Hoping to be more of a help in the future,

Alan.

More
27 Oct 2011 10:48 #12 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I have however loads of experience dealing with a pissed off girlfriend cos

a. the tank is too big for the kitchen
b. the electricity bills are massive
c. the place is always soaking

:)

More
27 Oct 2011 10:55 #13 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

Haha I'm the same Alan
And I have just started to say things are broken so I can buy new one's :evil:

Mark

More
27 Oct 2011 10:58 #14 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
See ski i wasent refering to the people like your self who are learning and gaining experience

its more the people who have big post counts and just dont bother or just hover around the for sale section looking for bargains

craig

More
27 Oct 2011 10:59 #15 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Sure im in the catergory of.people who.learn some thing nearly every day from the forum

More
27 Oct 2011 11:02 #16 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

for some strange reason i have the full backing of the miss s for my.shrimp rack

she must be having an affair and feels guilty hahahahahahahah :crazy:

craig

More
27 Oct 2011 11:14 #17 by Ski (Alan McGee)
ha ha thanks mark, i'll have to remember that one.

Thanks criag, i didn't take offense or anything. Just didn't want people thinking i was lurking or anything bad.

Really like the forum and interested in the subjects. Never thought i'd end up a fish nerd :)

That dam beginner 60 litre fish tank!! Have now a 280l and a 550l

More
27 Oct 2011 11:25 #18 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
its always the same ski once ya start u cant stop

i start with a 120L and now a year and a half later i have 6 tanks haha

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
27 Oct 2011 11:28 #19 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Ha ha sean. I need a bigger house :)

More
27 Oct 2011 12:58 #20 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
I suppose I could be classed as a lurker as I don't post as much as some other people. I think there maybe a number of reasons why people aren't posting. When I am in work, I usually don't sign in unless I have something to say because I don't save my passwords on these machines, so couldn't really be bothered signing in for the sake of it, hence I appear as a 'guest' during these hours. Most time I just don't have anything to add to the conversation and am just building up my knowledge and understanding by observing the conversations going on. On all the forums I am on its the same, some people like to post and other don't, whether that be nerves or whatever.

As for this forum I think it is one of the best I have been on. A couple of other forums I look at, after a certain period of time, rivalries pop up and people don't like each other and it seems that every thread descends into them having a go at each other. Then someone else wades in either in support, or to calm it down and ends up taking sides and you have gangs on each side! I tend to try to avoid them now! Here, apart from a small spat here or there, it hasn't happened. Most people are very helpful and more than willing to share their experience, and most people seem to be willing to take the advice on board, whether they want to hear it or not (i.e. people who are asking whether they can get a certain fish but are told their tank is not suitable etc etc)

Thats my opinion anyway! :)
Bill

More
27 Oct 2011 15:00 #21 by Jambomac (James McConville)
OK lurkers makes them sound a bit stalkerish, the reasons why people won't always post is because they have lots of things to do from work to college.
Plus lots of people would be fairly new and have fear of giving bad advice ending in somebody losing fish, every website has lurkers on youtube i have 100 views on 1 video and not one comment.

Would you rather people posting for the sake of posting.
I know i only post when i believe i have something worthwhile to say, some people are extraverts and some intraverts.

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
27 Oct 2011 15:05 #22 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
I don't think fishmad is saying everybody should be posting I think he just wants people to sign in so everybody can see who's online :)

Mark

More
27 Oct 2011 15:18 #23 by Jambomac (James McConville)

I don't think fishmad is saying everybody should be posting I think he just wants people to sign in so everybody can see who's online :)

Mark

if you read his first post its about the same people posting and no new.

AS for signing in too read the posts whats the point is this top secret info because i forgot the secret handshake, if this site is about helping the greater fish keeping community than why should we make people join
and i think if a hacker wanted to crack this site it would be no problem. security better than sony here.

Paranoia is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands :dry:

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”

quote Bruce Lee

More
More
27 Oct 2011 22:24 #25 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
But fair enough if people dont want to.post coz of.work or college but the.forum is about shareing experiences or.share ing new fish you got or new tanks.ect ect ect

well i think most people that do post obviously feel what they have to say is worth while saying

do you think different its about getting involved more

More
28 Oct 2011 09:40 #26 by Damien Conway (Damien Conway)
There is no right or wrong answer here, I personally am a member on a couple of forums as are some of you. Im generally on the internet via my mobile and have shortcuts set up on my phone so I can be in and out in seconds if I wish. But that's the way life is these days, every thing is so fast paced. For example , if you have a spare 5 mins before you pick up the kids then you remember you have to stop off in Tesco,then the wife rings to say she's stranded with a flat wheel. In short, the way we live is to blame.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Oct 2011 10:16 - 28 Oct 2011 10:17 #27 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: people lurking in the shadows

for some strange reason i have the full backing of the miss s for my.shrimp rack

she must be having an affair and feels guilty hahahahahahahah :crazy:

craig

I think I know the reason for her interest....

He's what you see when you think of the success of your Shrimp keeping.

Here's what SHE thinks !!

Kev.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2011 10:17 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
28 Oct 2011 12:48 #28 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Just tell her they will grow that big, but it takes years to do so.

More
28 Oct 2011 14:55 #29 by alan.s (alan)
I'd be along the same lines as ski. Only in this game 2 years. Only on first tank and mostly still the first fish so wouldn't have enough experience to anwser any questions. As a wise man once said if ya haven't got anything smart to say don't say anything at all!
Al

More
28 Oct 2011 15:02 #30 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Well you.dont have to be experienced to get involved post on some ones thread saying great set up or great new fish they look great.

Well if that wise man was right and every body abided bye that atitude this forum would be a bit of snoze fest

craig

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds