Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ask the sponsors section

More
05 Feb 2014 21:22 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I've been thinking that would be nice to have a forum section inside the trade forum or where you consider it's best place to ask the sponsors about a product, fish, plant. If they have stock, or have to order it, information, etc...

If I want to ask for a specific fish I prefer doing it once instead of calling everyone to check if they have it.

This would require more presence of the sponsors in the forum of course. Because there is no point if you ask something and get your answer 1 week or more later.

In my case where spoken communication (and by phone is worst) sometimes is hard for me, I prefer contact by email, text, etc.. but most of the times I have to call because internet communication can be so sloooooow. I don't have patience to wait a week for an email response for example.

What do you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2014 22:17 #2 by fishhope (pat)
i agreed,you only have a few sponsors that update on stock here,the rest haven't wrote anything in a long time,could there be a revamp of the section done?

More
06 Feb 2014 00:56 #3 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Lydia it's already their the sponsor section

It's up to them if the want us all to follow their shop by updating their stock and new stock and place orders

No offence to the sponsors

But their is only a few who really do this and benefit from it

Some of the very busiest shops make the time to do it so if the rest don't I wouldn't bother with them, I don't

Sponsors have a gold mine on here and don't bother (their loss) not moaning here by the way I know the good shops and so do you

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
06 Feb 2014 10:46 #4 by JohnH (John)
As Jeff says, the suspicion is that not many of the sponsors on our Forum actually even read it - with some (very) notable exceptions. However, if a PM is sent it should appear in their email inbox.

My advice is a direct approach to the one(s) you wish to approach (as you have tried) is just about the best ploy.

Plans are in hand to rationalise the list, but this rather depends upon the response we get to the emails which will be sent to each and every one of them.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
06 Feb 2014 14:30 #5 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I know they have a category for them but not for users who want to ask them. Because maybe I ask them something and there are more people insterested in that thing, as happenned when we were at least three people interested in phoenix moss.

I'd like to ask about who can get a black red crowntail male without asking them individually, for example.

I agree that there is no point if they don't use the forum but imo the ones that do would get more sales.

More
08 Feb 2014 18:45 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hi Lydia you would be better off putting them posts in the wanted section and if the sponsors want to make a few euro they would contact you and say they'll get it for yea (not saying the will) but it is something that could be mentioned to them by the mods that we do actually have a 'wanted section' for members and sponsors to try make it happen

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds