Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

chat box

More
06 Jul 2014 13:41 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
Hi all. Maybe this has being suggested before but I'm putting out there for discussion. Is it possible to add a chat box section to the forum, both as a social and advise elements like many other forums have. What do ye all think???.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2014 14:54 - 06 Jul 2014 14:59 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic chat box
John could you kindly move this thread to forum suggestions part, I mistakenly put it in the wrong place. Thanks.

Edit: Done, as requested.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2014 14:59 by JohnH (John). Reason: Changed topic heading

More
06 Jul 2014 17:14 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Replied by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley) on topic chat box
I've wondered from time to time if a chat room would be a good idea, and one thing always made me say no. I find it hard to believe that there would be enough "traffic" most of the time to make it worthwhile. I think there'd be little or no activity for long periods and then occasional bursts of chat.

another thing I'd worry about is that an IM service has the potential to get hostile. not because forum members are a hostile bunch, but at the best of times typed messages, devoid of facial expressions or body language, can be misinterpreted. on a regular forum, everyone has the chance to sit back, think about what they type and try not to say something they shouldn't. in IM, I think people woulf react more quickly and with less thought.

just my two pence...

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
06 Jul 2014 19:18 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Thanks LJ for your opion. Hope a few others will join in.

More
06 Jul 2014 19:48 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Replied by irish-zx10r (James feenan) on topic chat box
I think it be hard to keep a eye on the chat room 24/7
The very minute you be away an argument would start and get out of hand.
There always seems to be nit pickers just wating for something to complain about.

Something fishie going on here

More
06 Jul 2014 21:05 #6 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Replied by darragh (Darragh Sherwin) on topic chat box
We have tried it before, there was not enough people online all the time to make it successful and I don't think the situation has changed.

Regards
Darragh

More
06 Jul 2014 21:10 - 06 Jul 2014 21:21 #7 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic chat box
You beat me to it Darragh,
I was trying to find a link to previous conversations on this subject.
They must have been further back than I was looking.
John

Edit:
It should be remembered that the Club has a Facebook section as well - this could be used for many Instant Message-type conversations but isn't very regularly made use of.
I also think there is provision for anyone wishing so to do for everyone to add such details (Facebook, Skype etc) to their Member's Profile.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2014 21:21 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
10 Jul 2014 15:05 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)

You beat me to it Darragh,
I was trying to find a link to previous conversations on this subject.
They must have been further back than I was looking.
John

Edit:
It should be remembered that the Club has a Facebook section as well - this could be used for many Instant Message-type conversations but isn't very regularly made use of.
I also think there is provision for anyone wishing so to do for everyone to add such details (Facebook, Skype etc) to their Member's Profile.

thanks John ,to be honest I did not know there was a face book page, then again ive managed to avoid the dark pit that is FB.

More
10 Jul 2014 15:16 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic chat box
It's very likely that not too many members are aware of this fact, we get comparatively little amounts of traffic on that either.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
11 Jul 2014 18:27 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic chat box
I would sugest you a whatsapp group, in fact I'm in one with 3 friends from the forum.
Although is not the same that a chat box or a irc channel where you can enter and quit without needing to be invited again.
Some people maybe don't have a smartphone but you can always install the android emulator and use it.

More
14 Jul 2014 22:03 #11 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I think you can set up a closed group page on Facebook and you can only join by another member accepting your request,
I think that would be a great idea and another way of keeping in contact with forum members,
Especially in times of forum maintenance or web down time,
Just a suggestion?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds