Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Private messages

More
28 Oct 2015 12:37 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi

Just want to know if pms send notifications since I have send some to different persons that have never read/replied them.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2015 13:42 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Private messages
Lydia,
Here's a couple of replies I made when this issue came up in the recent past:

If you go to the Home page, it will show you if you have any PMs pending. Plus, on the left, it should show anyone under "Pending Actions" (at least it does for me, so should be the same for all)

Sadly not everyone bothers to check - and even if they see they have any PMs not everybody bothers to actually read them - hence why we all (well, most of us anyway) see that there are unread PMs in our Outboxes.

The non-appearance of Private Messages in our email inboxes is something which dates back to the Forum update before the last one and I fear that - for the time being at least, the Home Page notification is still in evidence.

And this one regarding sending PM (for anyone still having difficulty):

It has been brought to our attention that members are having problems with PMs.
After the last upgrade it has no longer been possible to send Private Messages by using a member's profile page but I personally use this method instead (sorry for the inconvenience)
Sending Private Messages.
1] Select 'Private Messages' (on left under 'USER MENU')
2] Select 'Compose' (top Right-hand option)
3] In the 'TO' box enter the user name of the person you wish to send the message to
4] Type your message into the 'Message' box
5] Select 'Send' and away it goes.

If you have made an error with the user name you can find it by choosing the 'SHOW USERS' link (in blue on the right hand side of the page).

This works with PCs but I'm uncertain if it works with a smartphone as mine isn't (smart).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Oct 2015 14:09 #3 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Private messages
Hi john,
Just for your information, your way of sending PM works on iPad so it should work on smart phones as well.
And when you have received a PM it shows up on right had side as a private message under the facebook / Twitter links.
Thanks for all your work, and Darragh's as you always say it him really!!

More
28 Oct 2015 15:02 #4 by jondun101 (jondun101)
Yeah, I got a notification.

More
28 Oct 2015 15:10 - 28 Oct 2015 15:14 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Private messages

Hi john,
Just for your information, your way of sending PM works on iPad so it should work on smart phones as well.
And when you have received a PM it shows up on right had side as a private message under the facebook / Twitter links.
Thanks for all your work, and Darragh's as you always say it him really!!

Thanks to both you and Jondun for the cofirmations, it's good to know they're still working OK.

And you're so right, I do what I'm able to, but Darragh is "The Man"

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 15:14 by JohnH (John). Reason: Additions.

More
28 Oct 2015 17:47 #6 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Private messages
Hi john,
Just another small point on PM's.
I think some people open the message and replied to it and then later go back and check for it again but it's gone.
This is because of the small 'tick box' at the bottom which says trash original message. This option seems to be set as standard.
Is it possible to set that box as unchecked as standard. This would mean that all messages say in your inbox and all replies stay in your outbox unless you delete them yourself.
Does that sort of make sense? Or is that a big programming nightmare for Darragh?
Do our saved messages take up room on the forum webpages thing!? Server!?
Just a few extra points. Sorry.

More
29 Oct 2015 21:37 #7 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Also the "Private Messages" option on the right side of the grey box which appears near the top of the page when signed in doesn't go to private messages, it goes to your profile from where you have to click on private messages on the left under User Menu.
It could be possible that members aren't signed in so don't get the pm'so until they do sign in.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds