Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

July Photo Comp if there is enough interest

More
16 Jun 2013 13:52 - 16 Jun 2013 13:57 #1 by JohnH (John)
This is a bit of a 'fishing' post, if sufficient people express an interest for it, and assuming we can get a voucher donor to give us a prize there will be another attempt to get the comps up and running again starting with the month of July.
I've added a poll in order for you all to vote, + for yes and - for not interested (pretty self-explanatory, really) but any responses in the way of follow-on posts are also welcomed.
So, over to you all, the poll runs for 12 days, after which time we should have a pretty good idea of whether or not we shall be resuming.

John

Well, that's strange, the Poll function has always appeared before now, I shall have to investigate, but in the meantime, if anyone wants to reply please feel free to so do.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2013 13:57 by JohnH (John).
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Jun 2013 15:42 #2 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
More
16 Jun 2013 17:10 #3 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Sounds like a plan I would be up for it
More
16 Jun 2013 17:53 #4 by blade (Michael G)
More
16 Jun 2013 18:23 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Id be up for it.....
I don't have any truely exotic species but I'm sure I'd get some sort of pic to add!
More
16 Jun 2013 20:54 #6 by Wackoo (Niall)
More
17 Jun 2013 10:14 #7 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
More
17 Jun 2013 10:38 #8 by wolfie (Anthony)
More
17 Jun 2013 12:30 #9 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I always enjoy the comps.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.
More
17 Jun 2013 13:36 #10 by des (des)
Count Me in, It's time to make a bit more of an effort...

Des
More
17 Jun 2013 20:07 #11 by ck1 (chris)
I think its the voting that needs to be looked at, there is always a good amount of entrants but not many votes. i think a poll for the voting would be better than the current way
More
17 Jun 2013 20:31 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I am up for one :)

Something fishie going on here
More
17 Jun 2013 20:56 #13 by Shane (Shane Faulkner)
Good idea tank be up and running by then cycling takes so long
More
17 Jun 2013 22:56 #14 by JohnH (John)

I think its the voting that needs to be looked at, there is always a good amount of entrants but not many votes. i think a poll for the voting would be better than the current way

I, personally, have never been very easy with the existing voting system, but a poll wouldn't be the answer either (unfortunately) it was tried, I think, many moons ago (long before I ever was on the scene) and it threw up several issues which really need to remain 'private'.

There are plans to try a different voting concept either if we can get the July one off the ground - or with any subsequent competition thereafter.

It's still in the 'planning' stage right now, but as they say: "Watch This Space".

John

ITFS member.

More
24 Jun 2013 15:33 #15 by J.Wang (Jay Wang)
I'm up for it too. :P
More
24 Jun 2013 20:37 #16 by neriusad (Nerius Adom)
More
25 Jun 2013 15:34 #17 by JohnH (John)
OK chaps I've sent out a prize request and if a voucher is forthcoming we'll have another try for July's Competition.

Fingers crossed...

John

ITFS member.

More
25 Jun 2013 16:15 #18 by wolfie (Anthony)
good stuff john ,this is the kind of thing that needs to keep going and keep the forum fresh and interesting
More
25 Jun 2013 19:11 #19 by JohnH (John)

good stuff john ,this is the kind of thing that needs to keep going and keep the forum fresh and interesting

You're right there, it just seemed to be going 'downhill fast' as the last two competitions we ran received more entries than votes.
I do see that by stopping entrants voting for their own pictures we are creating a minor problem since it would seem that no-one will want to vote against his own entry - which, in effect, is what was happening with some people.
For myself I merely see it as a bit of a source of fun each month and never enter hoping to win (which makes sense, really, as I never have!).

But, hopefully, if we get this one off the ground I'll tell you all about the new revised voting regime which will be tried after it ends...watch this space.

John

ITFS member.

More
26 Jun 2013 08:32 #20 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
This one gets my vote .......
Attachments:
More
26 Jun 2013 09:05 #21 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Im in, I haven't got the best camera in the world but ill give it a go ;)

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-
More
26 Jun 2013 09:47 #22 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Could it not be ran regardless of a prize being offered?... if its just a bit of fun I don't see why not or would there be a big reduction in participants?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
More
26 Jun 2013 12:26 #23 by Homer (Kevin)
Choose one of the voters randomly for a smaller prize like a years membership to the IFKS or a lesser prize from a Sponsor?

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
More
26 Jun 2013 13:27 #24 by Ski (Alan McGee)
That's a good idea
More
26 Jun 2013 13:32 #25 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Choose one of the voters randomly for a smaller prize like a years membership to the IFKS or a lesser prize from a Sponsor?

H.

Great idea!

Does it have to be lesser, how about splitting the e50?

Andreas
More
26 Jun 2013 16:51 #26 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Do people really abstain from voting if they have entered the comp? I have voted for other entries in the past but I guess they were clearly much better photos than my entry so it wasn't a difficult decision.

A small prise for a random voter sounds good but I think splitting the main prize may be over reaching, it can take a serious amount of time to catch a really good photo.
More
26 Jun 2013 19:08 #27 by Melander (Andreas Melander)

Do people really abstain from voting if they have entered the comp? I have voted for other entries in the past but I guess they were clearly much better photos than my entry so it wasn't a difficult decision.

A small prise for a random voter sounds good but I think splitting the main prize may be over reaching, it can take a serious amount of time to catch a really good photo.

Maybe your right, my thinking was better voters price = more votes.

It sounds a bit sad that voters have to be lured in but if that's the only way..

Another option could be to make voting mandatory for people entering the comp.. Ie you can't win unless you voted. I know It has a bit of a "police state" feel over it and I'm not sure if it's the way to go.

Andreas
More
26 Jun 2013 19:46 #28 by davey_c (dave clarke)
looks like my question has been answered :lol:
why am i not suprised :crazy:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
More
26 Jun 2013 20:23 #29 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I enjoy the competitions because i get to look at other peoples setups ,their fish and their photography.I would still participate even if there was no prize on offer. Any time i've entered the photo comp i will vote for someone else's pic's , i'm not really bothered whether i win or not its just for a bit of fun.

It always ends up with the same regulars trying their best to prop up the competition, getting prizes, asking for more pictures , pushing for people to votes etc.It's sad to say but the prize is the only thing that will entice more people to take an interest in the competitions.The bigger and better the prize the more entrants and votes.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.
More
26 Jun 2013 21:32 #30 by Homer (Kevin)
Most Websites do things this way, it generates interest and promotes both the Site AND sponsors.
A site can become staid and tired unless there are injections of interest, both by members and by Sponsors.

Unfortunately, "Lures" are required in all walks of life and Fora are no different.

we need more input from the lurkers and those who only post infrequently to add zest to the forum.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds