Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

July Photo Comp if there is enough interest

More
26 Jun 2013 23:02 #31 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
I think this comp idea is getting thought about to much, I am part of a good few forums (mad about cars as well as fish) and I have run a good few photo comps, I find if a prize is added in you get more interest I have bought prizes from my own pocket just to get them going and the sites I trade off I offer vouchers for my garage, I have also found that they are good for a laugh when a certain theme is made as part of the terms

Random photo comps where no prize is offered worked out just as good as said just for a laugh and to share the love and passion we all have for the hobbie

Just my two cents I'm in what ever way this goes prize or no prize
The topic has been locked.
More
27 Jun 2013 09:40 - 27 Jun 2013 09:41 #32 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
@danny: was there ever a problem with a lack of votes on those forums?

It seems that there is enough interest to participate here, prize or no prize but people don't bother voting. Which is strange as its less of an effort than entering. I can see how this is frustrating for the moderators.

Andreas
Last edit: 27 Jun 2013 09:41 by Melander (Andreas Melander).
More
27 Jun 2013 14:25 #33 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Never a problem we used a pole system you can't go wrong with that, click what picture you like job done
More
27 Jun 2013 19:20 #34 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Never a problem we used a pole system you can't go wrong with that, click what picture you like job done

I like your way of thinking i am like yourself into everything cars motorbikes fish and everything i can take a photo of they are never great but i like them. A pole system is a good idea with clicking on photo you like.

Something fishie going on here
More
01 Jul 2013 08:53 #35 by JohnH (John)
Well,

I'm sad to have to tell you that, despite my having made requests from Sponsor for July's prize that none was forthcoming so this round will have to be a 'fun only' one.

It will be set up later so please check your memory cards etc, or start snapping away in readiness.

Please don't send your entry yet, I'll have things ready for this evening to start accepting your entries.

It will be exactly the same as with all previous competitions with the glaring omission of one thing...A PRIZE.

Good luck to all who enter.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
More
01 Jul 2013 10:20 #36 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Thats the only way I've seen it been done that works also. Tbh its up to the participants to keep it fun and I wouldn't worry about them voting for their own because if each participant voted for their own then realy theres nothing gained so realy thats just a silly rule imho.

Thought seahorse might have donated a limb :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
More
01 Jul 2013 10:52 #37 by JohnH (John)

"Thought seahorse might have donated a limb :lol:"

Very topical...

The poll system for voting has been tried before but there was really no check on who had voted for what - plus how many times anyone voted.

Sadly, one of the ploys has been to have several memberships to the Forum which then resulted in multiple votes - from the same person, but not the same member, if I'm making sense (sadly not always the case).

Also, and this has been the concept of the Competition from long before I took it over, although it has been normal to give placings - generally the first five, anyway, actual votes cast have always remained 'in the dark' in order that no-one would know how many, if any at all, votes were cast for a member's entry picture.
The thinking behind this (and, again this goes back to 'the beginning of time') is that we do not want to dishearten anyone who was unfortunate to get low, or even no, votes. We want more, not less, entries in future comps.

So, those are the reasons for the secrecy behind the way the Competitions are run.

Please have your snapshots ready for the grand announcement later on.

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Jul 2013 10:57 #38 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
as admin John do you not have the means to see the votes when others cant? i know i did on an other side

anyway looking forward to this no matter what way it is set up, its all a bit of fun at the end of the day :cool:
More
01 Jul 2013 12:33 #39 by JohnH (John)
I think, for reasons explained (for the benefit of those entrants who get 'nil points') this would still - even if the poll function could be made to work again - show those of us how many didn't get any votes and it is not felt to be very fair on those (me included, but I'm pretty thick-skinned and it would take more than getting no votes for my entry to stop me from entering subsequent competitions.

We'll carry on this month as it always was (with the 'revised voting' regime I'll tell you all about when the time comes).

I've asked Darragh to reset the Poll Function, but he's a busy man and he'll get around to it when he has time - maybe we'll give that a try in a subsequent round. But, beware, we'll then all know who - other than me - got no or very few votes.

To be continued.

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Jul 2013 14:05 #40 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
why would someone think that it's not be fair to get no votes? that sounds silly to me and very childish on whoever would complain about it, i would take it as a learning curve and try harder next time

as said comps like this are a bit of forum fun and some times having a prize as a bonus i dont know why people take it so seriously

p.s.

not having a go just my thoughts having run a good few of these in the past ;)

that's enough from me on the topic i have my camera dusted off ready and waiting B)
More
01 Jul 2013 16:03 #41 by JohnH (John)
Point taken, let's see about another trial once the Poll function is fixed.

Now, if you'd like to send me your entries to this address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

we'll get the thing running.

Here's a link to the Rules...

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...and-guidelines#33956

Good luck everyone.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds