Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!!

More
31 Mar 2011 23:51 - 07 Apr 2011 10:33 #1 by JohnH (John)

Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!! was created by JohnH (John)
Entry #1

Entry #2

Entry #3

Entry #4

Entry #5

Entry #6

Entry #7

Entry #8

Entry #9:

Entry #10

Entry #11

Entry #12

Entry #13

Entry #14:

Entry #15:

Entry #16:

Entry #17:

Entry #18:

Entry #19:

Entry #20:

Entry #21:

Entry #22:

Entry #23:

Entry #24:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 10:33 by JohnH (John). Reason: edited headline

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2011 23:54 - 01 Apr 2011 13:00 #2 by JohnH (John)

Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
OK then - here are all 24 entries, please look at them all carefully and send the number of the one you prefer (the appropriate number is the one above the image you select) to:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Remembering, of course, that you may only vote once and also that competitors may not vote for their own entry.
The entry receiving the largest amount of votes at the end of the voting period will be awarded the prize of a €50 voucher from Petstop (many thanks again go to Damien for the kind donation).

ITFS member.

Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 13:00 by JohnH (John). Reason: better explanation

More
01 Apr 2011 09:16 #3 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)

Replied by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
Should we state our username in the email?

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

More
01 Apr 2011 10:44 #4 by JohnH (John)

Good point (well, it was late last night when this was done - my excuse, and I'm sticking to it) thanks for pointing that out Peter.

Please add your Forum name along with your vote.

Cheers,

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Apr 2011 11:10 #5 by dar (darren curry)

Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
john are last months votes scrapped? do we need to vote again, do votes on pics from feb get carried over?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
01 Apr 2011 11:41 #6 by JohnH (John)

As there were only four people who took the trouble to vote in February's competition it was felt best to scrap these and start again with a clean sheet.
So please Dar we would appreciate you (and the other three) to vote again.

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Apr 2011 12:05 #7 by dar (darren curry)

Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
well i think it would be fair to stick with my original vote, can you go with that John or do i have to guess wat one that was and revote

More
01 Apr 2011 12:45 #8 by JohnH (John)

Dar,
I've sent you a reminder of your previous vote by PM.
John

ITFS member.

More
01 Apr 2011 13:02 #9 by JohnH (John)

It has been pointed out to me that at least one member cannot see all of the images - if anyone else is having this problem I would appreciate a PM telling me.
Thanks,
John

ITFS member.

More
02 Apr 2011 01:22 - 02 Apr 2011 01:23 #10 by JohnH (John)

As there is another member unable to see anything bar pic 2 I'll reload all of them tomorrow (no mean task, but I'm good like that)

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Let's hope that does the trick!

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 01:23 by JohnH (John). Reason: spacing

More
02 Apr 2011 13:24 #11 by JohnH (John)

For those unable to access the entries, could you please look at the old thread and see if you can see them there.
Sorry to be a pain - we really cannot find out why they are accessible to most, but not to all.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...ns/91041-febmar-comp

Please let me know if this helps.

John

ITFS member.

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2011 00:22 #12 by paul .... (paul ....)

Replied by paul .... (paul ....) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
We have a winner yet?

More
04 Apr 2011 01:05 #13 by JohnH (John)

We have a winner yet?

Voting ends midnight on April 7. (As mentioned on the Home Page).

So a few days more yet.

Lots of members haven't voted yet (he says in a feeble attempt to hope someone votes for his entry).

:whistle:

John

ITFS member.

More
04 Apr 2011 17:59 #14 by denverbre (Denver Breslin)

Replied by denverbre (Denver Breslin) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
Newbie here so apologies for the question if it has been answered somewhere I haven't found yet but are we voting on a nice looking fish or the photo itself (composition, exposure, Colors etc)?

More
04 Apr 2011 22:08 #15 by SSS (Sion S)

Replied by SSS (Sion S) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
As far as I know its all of the above, whichever you think is the best overall?

More
05 Apr 2011 00:33 #16 by JohnH (John)

Newbie here so apologies for the question if it has been answered somewhere I haven't found yet but are we voting on a nice looking fish or the photo itself (composition, exposure, Colors etc)?

It's entirely your choice - whichever picture you like the best...for whatever reason - totally up to you.
We aren't a photography site so are only looking for everyone to vote for the picture which they like the best.

Hope that clears it up.

John

ITFS member.

More
06 Apr 2011 13:59 #17 by JohnH (John)

A Timely Reminder...

Voting for Competition Entries closes at Midnight tonight.
To everyone who took the trouble to vote - thanks very much

To anyone as yet undecided - you have nine hours to make your minds up (written at 3pm).

John

ITFS member.

More
07 Apr 2011 00:14 #18 by JohnH (John)

Well...it's almost that time - Thanks for everyone who looked through the entries and submitted a vote.

Presently I will tot up the votes and then we can announce the winner for February/March.

I'll make the announcement in the morning if it isn't done tonight (what am I saying??? - It's morning already! Still haven't come to terms with the "Lost Hour" from last weekend).

John

ITFS member.

More
07 Apr 2011 01:03 - 07 Apr 2011 12:17 #19 by JohnH (John)

OK,
After much burning of the midnight oil (who writes this junk?) we have an outright winner:
An excellent view of a Bumble Bee Goby submitted by Gavin (Fishowner):

Two runners-up (second and third, with the same amount of votes, so equal second place) were

and:

Congratulations to one and all.
Some excellent entries were forthcoming this time around (again).
Gavin, I'll be in touch by PM once the Sponsor has been notified.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 12:17 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2011 09:49 #20 by paul .... (paul ....)

Well done Gavin cracking fish and picture ;)
I'd like to think I was joint second since we had same amount of votes :lol:

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2011 10:01 #21 by Valerie (Valerie)

Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
Well done guys !

Fishowner, very nice picture! Well done ! :cheer:

The runner-ups are pretty cool too!

Thanks John for running the competition and burning the midnight oil to count the votes and give us the results in real time! :)

Valerie :)

More
07 Apr 2011 11:49 - 07 Apr 2011 11:51 #22 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)

Replied by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
Wow,Ive never won anything before! Im delighted.Thanks for anyone who voted :)
The story behind the Bumble bee goby is that is was one of 6 I introduced to the tank some time back,however 5 of them never made it beyond a month.They just disappeared (was'nt down to feeding as I was feeding more regularly then). However this guy has survived ever since although he only feeds on bloodworms and they are only provided every 2 or 3 days in that tank. He gets on fine although will give the corys the odd nip! He's well able to hold his own in the tank.
Thanks again
Gavin
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 11:51 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
07 Apr 2011 11:50 #23 by denverbre (Denver Breslin)

Replied by denverbre (Denver Breslin) on topic Re: Time to Vote...
Congrats Gavin. Lovely looking fish.

More
07 Apr 2011 11:52 #24 by joey (joe watson)

Replied by joey (joe watson) on topic Re: Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!!
well done gavin

and fair play to john for his effort in organising this and sorting out the mess after last month. does he get a prize too?

More
07 Apr 2011 12:06 #25 by dar (darren curry)

Replied by dar (darren curry) on topic Re: Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!!
ha ha ha, i love it, i voted for it for other reasons but i am delighted it won. happy days lol

More
07 Apr 2011 12:12 #26 by JohnH (John)

Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!!
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

What are we to do with you, Dar?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

John

ITFS member.

More
07 Apr 2011 12:22 #27 by JohnH (John)

You were indeed joint second Paul, and I have reworded the announcement to reflect this - sorry for not making it clearer...but it was late (that's my excuse - and I'm sticking to it !!!).

John

ITFS member.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2011 13:02 #28 by stretnik (stretnik)

Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!!
Well done guys.

Kev.

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2011 13:42 #29 by paul .... (paul ....)

You were indeed joint second Paul, and I have reworded the announcement to reflect this - sorry for not making it clearer...but it was late (that's my excuse - and I'm sticking to it !!!).

John

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was only kidding but sure fare play ;) In the end it's all just a bit of crack fare play to ye John ye organised well ;)

More
07 Apr 2011 13:45 #30 by des (des)

Replied by des (des) on topic Re: Time to Vote...Announcement of the winner!!!
a well deserved first place winning Photograph
I new as soon as I that Photograph that it was the winner
Congratulations Gavin
a fine Photograph indeed

ah well, joint second place is good enough for Me...

Des

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds