Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Good evening.

More
30 Jan 2012 00:36 #1 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Great website, not sure why I did not find it years ago. I have a Trigon 190 with about 15 fish. Although I have the tank about 5/6 years I have never developed my fish hoppy beyond a certain point, which I aim to change now. Hopefully I will learn a lot from these forums.

One immeadiate problem I have is that my light unit on my Juwel Trigon 190 has stopped working. This is the second unit as the original one went after about two years. Last time I just replaced it but this time I decidied to try and fix it as I am really annoyed that if I buy a new one it will be the 3rd in 5/6 years. By the way I emailed the 10 retailers on the Juwel website and only 1 responded quoting me €125! :-((

I replaced the ballast and it worked for about an hour and stopped again. I think it is between 22-28 months old but have lost my receipt so I cant try it under warranty.

Anyone know how to fix these things?

I have one light bulb behind the tank but the fish are only getting 20% of the light they normally get, is this unhealthy for them?

Any advice, much appreciated,

BOB.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2012 00:43 - 30 Jan 2012 00:43 #2 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Re: Good evening.
Bob, welcome to the forum.

The fish don't require light, it's more for us to look at them and admire them. If you have plants then lights are a necessity. As for the light unit, if it's the ballast then it's an easy fix, but as you already changed it, it might worth to check the bulbs or a different ballast if you have a spare one. My Juwel light unit packed in a few years ago, changed the ballast and gave me no trouble since, hopefully it will work the same for you.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2012 00:43 by m4r10 (m4r10).

More
30 Jan 2012 00:49 #3 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Thanks for the quick reply.

That is reassuring about the lack of light not harming the fish.

My wallet is shivering with fright as I am pretty sure the tubes work and an electrican friend of mine oversaw the installation of the new ballast which as I said, only worked for an hour.

Anyone know the best place to buy another one. I wrote to Juwel but they were of no help.

More
30 Jan 2012 00:50 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)
hi bob, 1st and foremost you are very welcome onboard and you will certainly learn alot :cool:

the lads here are well use to jewel light units and their problems, unfortunately you have been struck down with a common jewel syndrome but could also give an opertunity to upgrade from t8 bulbd (if thats what fitted) to t5 bulbs :)

what fish do you keep?... when you do get the lights sorted don't forget pic's :cool:

dave

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
30 Jan 2012 00:54 #5 by davey_c (dave clarke)
at the top of this page you will see a sponsor section, their the fish shops that sponsor this site and anyone of them should be able to give you a price on a new jewel item and hopefully at a more competative price :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
30 Jan 2012 01:01 #6 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Thanks gents. From the research that I have done on this to date it definately seems to be a regualr problem and at about €125 each it is reflects very badly on Juwel.

I have a great knack of getting CEO's email address's. I will write to the CEO of Juwel about this issue and let you know how I get on. In the meantime, I will break the piggy bank and buy a third one (and keep the receipt in a safe place this time).

More
30 Jan 2012 01:17 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Re: Good evening.
Welcome along Man from Wicklow,and the best of luck in your endeavours with that CEO....would love to hear his/her response....oh and as was said,when you get your lighting sorted,pics please

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
30 Jan 2012 02:34 #8 by m4r10 (m4r10)
If you're in a hurry, check the local LSF for ballasts, alternatively ebay is your friend. I'd give the unit one more chance before splashing on a new one. It's not a big deal to change the ballast, just have to label all the wires to make sure they go back where they're supposed to and bob's your uncle (no pun intended :) ).

More
30 Jan 2012 17:55 #9 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
hello and welcome to the forum.

ooohhh yes the curse of the jewel lighting, great tanks but the light unit nearly always give bother.

good luck.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2012 17:57 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Good evening.
Welcome to the Blue.

Kev.

More
30 Jan 2012 19:50 #11 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
hows things mate welcome

wat sixe ballast did u replace the old one woth as u can not get the same watt off the jewel ones anywhere in ireland

i have donr this about three or four times as the units are no good and i wouldin in my right mind buy a new one as i would be washin money cause i know it will happen again

are u ever in dublin or meath i can have a look at it for u of u want

most off the time when ppl are changing the ballast they get the wrong one as they cant get the same that was in it im nearly sure that is y yours only worked for an hour and went again did u reseal the unit when u cut it and if so how did u go about it

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
30 Jan 2012 19:55 #12 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
welcome to the forum mate,not long here myself...i bought a juwel 180l with the light unit broken.i picked up a converter kit at my LFS for 20 yoyos. Took a bit of messing around with a hacksaw blade and a tube of silicone but its grand now. Just another option.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
30 Jan 2012 23:57 #13 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
This is a great website and forum. Thanks for all the advise and welcomes.

Sean, I took out the Vossloh Schwabe ballast (type ELXc 236.208) and tracked down the distributor for Ireland who said he would only order a box of 25. I then brought the ballast to my local elctrical supplier who gave me a similar ballast. I cut out a slot, numbered all the wires (an electrician neighbour of mine checked it for me) and used silicon to glue the cut out section of plastic back on.

Lept for joy when it worked and went for a pint to congraulate myself on saving €125 only to return an hour later to a dark tank once again :angry:

Sean, I would take you up on your offer to look at it for me, very kind offer indeed. I work in the city centre but could call to you in Navan, if that suited you better?

More
31 Jan 2012 12:05 #14 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
yeah that is no worries at all mate if u want im in all day sat i think

do u know wat WATT the new one is and wat WATT the old one is

with the ballast u got from a elctrical supplier there should be only 7 push in terminals

where is on the juwel ballast there is 8

im a sparks me self and have to say if i wasnt i wouldnt have a clue

but no worries at all pop down and ill try my best on it for ya

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
31 Jan 2012 22:41 #15 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Welcome to the form mate

sean's a good guy see him before you spend anymore money

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
01 Feb 2012 00:35 #16 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Welcome to the forum.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
07 Feb 2012 00:16 #17 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Genesis 1:3 'And God said, Let there be light: and Sean arranged it and there was light.' :angel:

Thanks to the help of Sean (does the IFK website have a Member of the Month award?) , after 6 weeks my tank is illuminated again and I have not given Juwel a cent. Photos are not great but the Trigon 190 really is a great looking corner tank. My fish levels are a bit low so I need to buy a few new fish and maybe some types that I have not had before. As a new member to the website I hope to pick up some tips.

I will let you all know how I get on with my email to the MD, Chairman and founder of Juwel regards their sub-standard light units.
Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2012 00:37 #18 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Classic case of RTFM, I have just read the tutorial on how to upload poics, here goes again.

Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2012 00:38 #19 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2012 07:49 #20 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Welcome along.Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
07 Feb 2012 09:30 #21 by dave k (david)
Replied by dave k (david) on topic Re: Good evening.
the 190 is a nice corner tank,welcome along and i look forward to your input on the site.....

dave.

.·´¯`·.. >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>
>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸>

More
07 Feb 2012 11:04 - 07 Feb 2012 20:15 #22 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Bob u are more them welcome and it was great to meet u

If there is one thing I hate is jewel lights filters and heaters

So if there was anything I could do to stop ppl payin more money on a replacement on anything I would

Hope it is ok for u have have to say the tank looks very well

If.I knew u needed some more fish I could have have ya some have a few in the fish room that ill be passin on soon

Best off luck

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Last edit: 07 Feb 2012 20:15 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
09 Feb 2012 00:51 #23 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
The fish Gods must be angry with me! :evil:

A couple of days after getting my light unit fixed (courtesy of Sean) I lost a big Tiger Barb. This evening I noticed a lot of light beige bread crumbs stuff on the gravel, see photo.

cold water.JPG

I checked the water and it was cold, 13 degrees. I took out the heater and the red glow was visable about an inch below the top. I unplugged it and cleaned it so I could see which way to twist the bit at the top to increase or decrease the temperature. It is out of the water, turned as far as it will go to PLUS and after 10 minutes (albiet out of teh water) it is still totally cold.

Is it a freaky coinicidence that my heater has gone a couple of days after my light unit was fixed?

More
09 Feb 2012 00:56 #24 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
I think I must have angered teh Fish Gods!

On Monday I got my light unit fixed (courtesy of Sean) after weeks of messing around. On Tuesday I lost a big Tiger Barb. Tonight I noticed this beige bread crumb stuff on my gravel (see photo).

I tested the water and it was cold, 13 degrees. I pulled out the heater and the red light was visable about an inch from the top.

I unplugged it, cleaned it so I could see which direction to twist the plastic stem at the top to increase the temperature and after 15 mins it is still totally cold.

Has my heater now gone?
Attachments:

More
09 Feb 2012 10:59 #25 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
sorry about the heater bob put up in the wanted park u are lookin for one and someone will help u out i have one hear but as ya know it is a long way down to me but im sure someonr on here is closer and will give u one

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
09 Feb 2012 22:03 #26 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Hi Draco,

I am feeding them Aquarian advanced nutrition tropical flake food. Before that I used Nutrafin Max.

I also use JMC Catfish pellets for a pleco I have.

Are they any good?

The water is 17 degress, how long will the fish last in that temperature?

More
09 Feb 2012 22:27 #27 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Thanks Sean,

I have put a post on the wanted section.

How long will the fish last in 17 degrees?

More
09 Feb 2012 22:40 #28 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
float a couple of plastic bottles with hot water in them floating into the tank it will bring up the temp as a temporary measure, the wont last too long at that temp, turn on the heating to bring up the room temp to mid 20's to make it more comfortable for the fish... 17 degrees is really to low for tropical fish get a heater asap

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
12 Feb 2012 00:11 - 20 Apr 2012 11:38 #29 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Thanks Chris,

I got a new heater of €17, Pet Bliss iin Wicklow wanted €50 for a Juwel one. I did a water change, used a gravel cleaner and finally my tank is back to normal.

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2012 11:38 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
12 Feb 2012 00:49 #30 by m4r10 (m4r10)
It's clear from your pics that the fish enjoy the warmer water as they swim upside-down :silly:

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds