Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Good evening.

More
20 Feb 2012 23:43 - 20 Feb 2012 23:46 #31 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Good evening all,

My Trigon 190 has been bathed in light, uninterupted, for the past 2 weeks courtesy of the generous help of Sean. My new heater is purring away and keeping all my fish on the verge of breaking a sweat, so all is well with the world.

During the depths of my five weeks with a dark tank trying to sort out my broken Juwel light unit and heater, I said I would use my canny abilty to write to the owners of Juwel, as I seemed to be one of many who have suffered from the 'Juwel syndrome' of inferior light units and heaters.

After rummaging through a few virtual dustbins I came up with these three likely lads:

Gerd Kohlmoos - Director & Patent Holder
Lars Larsen - Director
Wolfgang Dürmeyer - Director

Juwel Aquarium GmbH & Co. KG, Karl-Göx-Straße 1, D - 27356 Rotenburg/Wümme, County Court Rotenburg HRA 1382

A firm but fair email now resides in their email Inbox's. I will let you know what they come back with.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:46 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2012 22:54 #32 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Well I wrote to the MD of Juwel in Gernmay and to be fair he responded the following day. He said that he appreciated when customers took the time to get in touch and was dissapointed that I had not had a good expierence with their accessories. (I had said that I found the aquarium to be excellent). He dicussed the R&D that had gone into the heaters and pumps and I have included below his response to the light unit issue.

I am ready to admit that the failure trail which you have experienced is is an embarrassment, to put it mildly, and I do apologize that you have had to make this experience. I am certain that you will appreciate, however, that with all products they will after some time stop to function or develop faults. Whether this is a car, a stereo system, a mobile phone or whatever. And this may also mean that the spare parts required to get the products back to normal working conditions is felt to be abnormally expensive compared to the price of the complete new product, in our case the aquarium.

Light Units

WE are probably the only manufacturer in Europe trying to fulfill the regulatory requirements of the International Norm for Aquarium Light units. This means, that the ballasts have to be electronic and that the light unit has to be watertight (technically this means IPX 7). For you as the consumer this has two downsides:

1. The failure rate of electronics is noticeably higher than the failure rate of the classical magnetic ballast, which basically never fail.
2. The light unit itself cannot be opened. Thus the replacement of the failed ballast is impossible (but would be a lot cheaper than having to replace the complete unit).

But there is nothing, we can do about this, I am afraid, other than to continuously improve the quality of the ballasts, which we are doing. The newest version, which we have introduced last year (after another stringent increase in the regulatory requirements), has a failure rate, which we cannot see a chance to improve further. It is below the 1% mark.

Hopefully their next light unit design will be more reliable. I am not sure I belive the 1% claim but mind you, unhappy customers tell 10 people, happy ones only tell 1/2.

Finally, he couriered me a box full of goddies, so I am a happy fish keeper again! :P

More
03 Mar 2012 23:05 #33 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
fair play thanks for gettin back to us and lettin us know

at least u got a box off goddies :L

i think because off this ppl will stop buy these units as they would have to keep puttin money into them as for me i am one that can say i wouldnt buy a juwel tank again unless it has a different lightin unit say in say a Arcadia unit or somrthing like that

maybe we should all email him and get a box off goddies off them hahahaha

fair play

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
04 Mar 2012 01:24 #34 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Hi Sean,

Well at least he admits that by adhering to the new regulatory requirement, the consumer has two downsides:

1. The failure rate of electronics is noticeably higher than the failure rate of the classical magnetic ballast, which basically never fail.

2. The light unit itself cannot be opened. Thus the replacement of the failed ballast is impossible (but would be a lot cheaper than having to replace the complete unit).

Seems crazy! :crazy:

More
20 Apr 2012 00:40 #35 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
I have three Kribensis, one male and two female and one of the females spawned a school this afternoon
(is that the correct term?) and this evening the female seemed to eat the 20+ fry! She was minding them for hours and then shortly after I fed the tank she started to gulp them in one's and two's and disapear into a cave and then come back out again and gulp a few more. Is she spitting them back out in the cave or has she actually eaten all her off spring? :S

More
20 Apr 2012 06:42 #36 by SouthAfricanInIreland (Ryan Dokter)
Hi welcome to the Forum, good on you for confronting the Jewel people, I'm happy your experiences with your tank have improved...

As for your Krib female, obviously i can't guarantee this but it sounds like she is just moving the fry into the cave, i suppose only time will tell, let us know if they make an appearance again.

More
20 Apr 2012 08:40 #37 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Re: Good evening.
SouthAfricanInIreland said

As for your Krib female, obviously i can't guarantee this but it sounds like she is just moving the fry into the cave, I suppose only time will tell, let us know if they make an appearance again.

Hi Wicklow man, Ryan is spot on; the behaviour you observed is actually parental care from these amazing little Cichlids. The Female or male will round the fry up in their mouth and move them back home or to another location in the tank if they perceive any danger to the fry.
If you observe them for any length of time, you will see the adult pair appear from their hiding place with the fry swimming along the bottom beneath them. They will only do this after first choosing a good grazing spot for the fry. They will lead them to the chosen spot and let the fry feed while the parents will keep vigil and aggressively chase off any other fish that get too close.
When it’s time to move on due to threat, they will round the fry up in their mouth and get them out of there as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
20 Apr 2012 21:00 #38 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
lads are bang on that is just parents moven the fry so they are safe i have kribs breedin in my big tank very 2 weeks but it depends on what is in the tank if they will survive or not all the best with them

if there are other fish in the tank but be worth it to get a small breedin tank for the kribs as they are a fantastic fish to watch while breeding and raising there offspring

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
20 Apr 2012 23:08 #39 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Sean, Bill and (Ryan) Sud African,

Panic over, you were all right, she was transporting them to a safer location in the tank. 24 hours later and all 20 fry are still alive and as frisky as when they first arivied.

More
20 Apr 2012 23:12 #40 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
glad to hear that

bill wat are in the tank with them again

also wat will u be feedin the fry?

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

More
20 Apr 2012 23:21 #41 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
A big catfish (5 inchs), a silver dollar, 3 clown loaches, a shark, a big Guarmi, and three other medium sized fish (and the three adult Kribs) that I do not know their name.

Regards food, what should I feed them in addition to the flake and catfish pellets I currently use?

More
20 Apr 2012 23:39 - 20 Apr 2012 23:40 #42 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
i am not sure if they fry will last with some off the above fish in the tank with them?

is there many hiding spots in the tank?

just keep a eye on them and hope for the best

as for feeding the fry u would need something like micro worms or liquid fry u can buy this in most off the good LFS as for the micro worms u could put up a post on the forum in the wanted section and see id someone could sort u out with a starter culture if so i can send u an email with wat u would need and how to set them up and how to feed the fry

i will be lookin for a starter culture meself as i let my other one die off and i have kribs fry myself

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Last edit: 20 Apr 2012 23:40 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe).

More
21 Apr 2012 01:15 #43 by WicklowMan (Bob Hofman)
Hi sean,

There is 3 cave shaped rocks where they can hide.

I will buy some liquid fry tomorrow in the LFS here in Wicklow Town.

As for liquid fry starter culture, I am afraid that has gone completley over my head :S but am happy to follow your instructions on this one?

BOB

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds