Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hello Long time lurker first time poster.

More
05 Feb 2014 16:25 - 05 Feb 2014 17:45 #1 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
Hi , thought I would say hello, I keep Walstad style tanks or low tech style , a rio 240 and 180 the Rio180 is currently full of baby albino plec's which was a nice surprise, there is about 30 in there all doing well so far ! I kinda try to go for a natural looking wild style as you might have guessed, I don't really go in for streets and rows or Amano style although I appreciate the effort that goes into them!
the Rio 240 is done with Tesco cat litter. Like the forum I always feel there is a friendly helpful vibe here.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 17:45 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2014 16:43 #2 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
any tips on how to up load photo's I can't seem to do it , add file , then attach ? doesn't seem to work for me ! Could be the connection acting up I guess

More
05 Feb 2014 16:44 - 05 Feb 2014 16:45 #3 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
rio 240, yep this was supposed to be the 240 pic no joy though
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 16:45 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick).

More
05 Feb 2014 16:50 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
maybee ur pic file is too large i was having the same problem myself so i hade to edit my photos before they would upload here

More
05 Feb 2014 16:50 #5 by JohnH (John)

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Feb 2014 17:15 - 05 Feb 2014 17:26 #6 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
thanks got it sorted with photobucket and tutorial
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 17:26 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick).

More
05 Feb 2014 18:50 #7 by paulv (paul vickers)
Tesco cat litter, please tell us more. Welcome along btw.

More
05 Feb 2014 23:41 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Welcome to the forum beautiful tanks you have their (cat litter) that is Deffo a new one - am I reading this right?? Think I heard this before but if you had of asked me about it I probably would have said I was dreaming, tell us more please

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
05 Feb 2014 23:52 - 06 Feb 2014 00:07 #9 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Love the tanks. Looking forward to hearing from you more..
Kitty litter been used a lot no in planted tanks

www.fishchannel.com/setups/aquascaping/k...itter-substrate.aspx
Last edit: 06 Feb 2014 00:07 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
06 Feb 2014 10:19 - 06 Feb 2014 10:27 #10 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
Thanks folks,Esoxluciouss is right there are some cost conscious people out there that have explored this option,admittedly it was a bit of an experiment I used the Tesco Cat Litter ( low dust ) mainly as money reducing method, its basically a fired clay made in Denmark
it just needs to be washed well as its perfumed slightly, I use it as a cap over soil ( Diana Walstad style), its a little light but I have had it for a good while now and no issues, the colour is not bad and the plants seem happy !
This is one that seems to be recommended and the one I used,
www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265235247
Last edit: 06 Feb 2014 10:27 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick).

More
06 Feb 2014 12:40 #11 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
If u read labels it is amazing what things are made of. Lidl had cat litter made from fullers earth. The very same stuff I buy to sink my fly leader. I paid a fiver for an egg cup full. Lidl sold 2kg for a fiver. Mix it with glycerin and jobs a good one

More
06 Feb 2014 14:43 #12 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi Vaschro welcome!

Is not the first time I see this as sustrate, only I didn't know it was cat litter, what a surprise!
The look is clean and natural, is really cheap and your plants are happy.

Do you use any soil under it? Does it have any effects in the water params?

More
06 Feb 2014 17:39 #13 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Baby plecs are they bristle nose

More
06 Feb 2014 20:11 #14 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)

Baby plecs are they bristle nose

yes , they are albino bristlenose

More
06 Feb 2014 20:13 #15 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)

Hi Vaschro welcome!

Is not the first time I see this as sustrate, only I didn't know it was cat litter, what a surprise!

Yes I use soil, in my case its a John Innes No3 Compost mix, once the soil is well capped no issue with the water parameters,
just have to watch for the cory Cats that they don't dig through the cap !

More
06 Feb 2014 20:30 #16 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Hi Vaschro welcome!

Yes I use soil, in my case its a John Innes No3 Compost mix, once the soil is well capped no issue with the water parameters,
just have to watch for the cory Cats that they don't dig through the cap !

It's the same I'm using under the manado, very cheap if I remember right.

More
07 Feb 2014 11:58 #17 by vaschro (john fitzpatrick)
yes its good value in any garden centre or woodies etc and to be honest I did a lot of lurking on your planted 180 thread ! :)

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds