Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

25ltrs - humble start, hopefully greater future ;)

More
08 Feb 2014 19:07 - 28 Apr 2014 13:40 #1 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
Hi everyone, today i bought some beautiful guppies and thought i should join the forum as i am now an actual fishkeeper and not just a tank owner :)
My fish tank is 25l, but hopefully this is just a start and i will go larger in the future.

Picture of my 80ltr tank:

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 13:40 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2014 19:58 #2 by Fairybubbles (Daniel oconnell)

More
08 Feb 2014 21:35 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Welcome along and best of luck with it.

More
08 Feb 2014 22:42 #4 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Welcome aboard any photos yet

More
09 Feb 2014 09:04 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Every great journey begins with a single step. Some chinese guy once said that :cool:

More
09 Feb 2014 10:18 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
We all start somewhere!
My first fish was a goldfish in a bowl when i was a kid, then when i had a kid of my own we bought a 60l tank and filled it with all the wrong stock due to bad advice!

Nearly 3 years on i have a 350litre a 190litre and the 60 has just been setup again!

Lots of reading and watching fish behaviour and youll be good!!!!

Some beautifil small aquascaped tanks out there would be good for your inspiration if you ever wanted to go that route!

Enjoy the hobby
Enjoy the forum

More
09 Feb 2014 12:04 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Every great journey begins with a single step. Some chinese guy once said that :cool:

Or was it Gandalf? :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
09 Feb 2014 12:09 #8 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
Thanks guys :) Appreciate it.. I have now uploaded some pictures to show the tank and the fishes.

More
09 Feb 2014 12:24 #9 by paulv (paul vickers)

Or was it Gandalf? :blink:

well spotted, it was of course Wan Lo Hun Gandalf :whistle:

More
09 Feb 2014 16:13 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hi and welcome to the forum nice little tank you have their

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
09 Feb 2014 20:40 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Nice looking Guppies you have there and is there a filter in the tank?

All the best with it and you future upgrade

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
10 Feb 2014 15:57 #12 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
I have an internal filter, but i don't really like it, I'll see what else I can do.

More
02 Mar 2014 18:54 - 02 Mar 2014 18:57 #13 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
Small update:
My plants weren't doing that well, so i decided to try a DIY CO2 system. Will report the result in a few weeks.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 18:57 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova). Reason: photo

More
02 Mar 2014 19:49 #14 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Welcome, nice tank and guppies look great !

More
02 Mar 2014 20:23 #15 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Lovely fish! Best of luck with them...

More
02 Mar 2014 21:21 #16 by rudycat (gareth)
Lovely fish! Great tank, look forward to seeing all the fry v soon!

More
02 Mar 2014 21:23 - 02 Mar 2014 21:38 #17 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Welcome. Nice photos. Its a small step on a great journey. I have now got three nano tanks. Super tanks
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 21:38 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
03 Mar 2014 10:12 - 03 Mar 2014 10:19 #18 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
I saw a Boyu all-in-1 Marine tank, that I liked and some day I would like to have marine fish, but not for now. Is it ok to use saltwater tank for freshwater or should I not use some of the saltwater stuff? Online it is mostly info as to how to turn your freshwater tank into saltwater, however, this is quite the opposite. I could find people saying that lights might not be suitable for planted freshwater tank. So, I'm gonna check on this point. What about say protein skimmer? Is it good for both types of fish tanks? I presume the rest, being heater, filter, even powerhead are suitable for freshwater...

Thanks
Last edit: 03 Mar 2014 10:19 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova). Reason: add details

More
28 Apr 2014 13:35 #19 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
Well, as it probably happens with a lot of people. I could not resist to go bigger, and now own an 80ltr aquarium. At the moment I have guppy fry there + bought tetra neons and kuhli loach yesterday. Actually, the shop had only 1 kuhli loach in stock - if anyone has a few more to sell I would be very interested.

Thank you

Aleksandra

More
28 Apr 2014 21:23 #20 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Welcome Aleksandra, nice tanks and beautiful fishes :)

More
29 Apr 2014 08:33 #21 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I started out about 3 years ago with a 2ft 60l

Now I have a 2ft, 3ft, 4ft, Trigon 190 and trigon 350 plus my little 15litre that Im planning on setting up in my bedroom for a shrimp tank (must tell the wallet keeper that some time)

So yea it happens to alot of people round here haha

More
29 Apr 2014 09:20 - 29 Apr 2014 09:21 #22 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova)
Wow you have a lot of them :) I am actually now thinking of buying another fishtank for my office.. Just need to explain to my boss why this is such a good idea :)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2014 09:21 by kabirysya (Aleksandra Kabirova).

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds