Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

More
20 Feb 2014 14:19 #1 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Newbie was created by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Hi me names Leo and im from Dublin I'm only getting into fish the past year but I'm addicted now ha I've a jewel trigon 190 which is a tropical community tank at the moment but I'm turning it into a marine tank in the next month as Iv always wanted marine but thought it was to hard till a member of seahorse told me it's not hard so Iv decided I'm changing to marine just picking up my last bits for my sump next week then sending my tank off to be drilled and my 60l jewel tank to be turned into a sump hope members on here can help me wit my change to marine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2014 14:35 #2 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Replied by Leo b (Leo bowes) on topic Newbie

This is my tank and at the moment Iv
5x Bala sharks
2x red tail sharks
1x severum
1x ghost knife fish
1x sword tail
3x gouramis
1x firemouth
1x common pleco
1x sucking louch
2x gold barbs
2x angels
Attachments:

More
20 Feb 2014 14:41 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Replied by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley) on topic Newbie
Welcome to the forum. I'm not into marines myself (and have no plans to be) but i love those corner tanks. Wish i had one! ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 Feb 2014 14:47 #4 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
This will make u sick I got it wit stand and in mint condition for free only thing it hadn't got was the light but I bought I light unit off a member her for €120 so that's all it stands me ha

More
20 Feb 2014 15:14 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

This will make u sick I got it wit stand and in mint condition for free only thing it hadn't got was the light but I bought I light unit off a member her for €120 so that's all it stands me ha

aaaand now i have to hate you... :evil: ;)

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 Feb 2014 16:28 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Was it a friend or neighbour or something that decided they were done with the hobby?

i love corner tanks for the sense of depth they give. I have a tank that's only 10L smaller than yours, but corner tanks always LOOK bigger. And they're great for building rockscapes in. Well done on the freebie ;)

More
20 Feb 2014 16:40 #7 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Replied by sincgar (Feargal Costello) on topic Newbie
I hate you too. would love one of those trigons. I have a fluval roma 90 as a marine for a good few years now. started off with stock T8's, then a T5 dual unit and now on aquaray leds. Variety of corals (not LPS) without any issues
Buy the salt water rather than trouble of mixing and its not too expensive given size of tank. Have an external and often the water change is emptying, cleaning and refilling that.
No sump and only got a skimmer last year so it is possible to have a tank without a skimmer.

My best buy was one of those rotating heads (cheap also) to divert the output of a powerhead. it causes great movement in the tank just like waves and my corals appear to love it as to me they appear to open more fully when it is working

Good luck with the conversion. If it does'nt work then I am happy to take the tank off your hands :laugh: :laugh:

More
20 Feb 2014 19:55 #8 by Mr B (C B)
Replied by Mr B (C B) on topic Newbie
Welcome along Leo, hope you've lot's of success with the marine tank. I'll look forward to seeing some photos if you have any.

More
20 Feb 2014 20:03 #9 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic Newbie
Welcome Leo, wish you an easy change to marine, I'd like to start with a small marine tank but in future.

More
20 Feb 2014 21:00 #10 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Welcome indeed. Great buy the ,120. I never had marines but look forward to your step by step thread ..wink wink...

More
20 Feb 2014 22:40 #11 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Replied by Gonefishy (Brian oneill) on topic Newbie
Welcome along Leo. I look forward to seeing how the transition works out...

More
20 Feb 2014 23:36 #12 by Leo b (Leo bowes)

Was it a friend or neighbour or something that decided they were done with the hobby?

i love corner tanks for the sense of depth they give. I have a tank that's only 10L smaller than yours, but corner tanks always LOOK bigger. And they're great for building rockscapes in. Well done on the freebie ;)

Ye it looks Hugh for just been a 190 and ye I'm hoping to scape it and have nice corals in it and no it was my girlfriends neibour that just got sick of lookin at it empty in her hall so happy days to me ha

More
21 Feb 2014 22:14 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Newbie
Welcome to the forum Leo b

And good luck with your Salty project

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
23 Feb 2014 16:41 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic Newbie
Hi Leo welcome to the forum great go hear their will be another salty head on board feel free to ask as many questions as you like the more the better theirs no silly questions on here

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
23 Feb 2014 16:50 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Newbie
Well Leo
I have a 190 trigon and a 350 trigon, both fantastic tanks!
Look forward to seeing the transformation into marine!!!
My 190 cost me roughly the same as yours and the 350 cost about double that including replacement light bars haha

I have thought about my 190 as a marine but for now the 60l im setting up as marine will have to suffice!

Post plenty of pics

More
23 Feb 2014 23:25 #16 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Thanks pal I'm sure I will have many questions for u guys

More
23 Feb 2014 23:35 #17 by Leo b (Leo bowes)

Well Leo
I have a 190 trigon and a 350 trigon, both fantastic tanks!
Look forward to seeing the transformation into marine!!!
My 190 cost me roughly the same as yours and the 350 cost about double that including replacement light bars haha

I have thought about my 190 as a marine but for now the 60l im setting up as marine will have to suffice!

Post plenty of pics

I wanted to go to a 350 trigon for marine but then I changed me mind to much upkeep ha and ur house must be full Of fish wit that many tanks pal and ye I'll take pics every time I get something new for my marine and I'll keep it step by step and hope if something is not right people can let me know

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds