Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Piyyo's presentation

More
27 May 2014 17:15 #1 by piyyo (Carlos alvarez garcia)
Hello to everybody.
First of all I have to apoligize, English is not my mother tongue so I am sure that I will made a lot of gramatical mistakes.
I am 34 years old, I am form Spain, I am biologist and currently I am working as researcher for a year in Dublin. My history with fish keeping started when I was 10 or 12 years old. My pathers bought me a 40 liters tank to keep some goldfish, with plastic plants, no lights. I made a lot of mistakes: empty the tank every two weeks for cleaning the gravel (I am sure that I had two nitrogen cycle every single month), feed the fish too much, etc. A few year later I buy 120 liters tank, T8 light bulbs, external canaster filter (Eheim of course XD), natural plants; and I made what we call fish salad (one fish of every single species available in the pet shop). Then I started to read more information in forums, books and I focused in amazon fish: tetras, corydoras, angel fish and ancistrus.
I was learnign a lot, even I could get a breeding pair of angel fish, though I couldn't rise a fry.
A few years later, after I spend three month here in Ireland, I bought a 300 liters tank and I turn my efforts in to keep discus fish. I kept discus for more than two year and I can say that it is an amazing fish. The behaviour, the court, the way they feed the fry, I like everything about discus (except the price ha ha ha). I have studied a lot about discus keeping, so much so that I am administrator in one of the most famous spanish fourm dedicated to discus fish.
Some pictures of my former discus tank:

I tried to breed discus, but I had not succes, the water parameters were not right and I couldn't spend the required time for this task. Anyway, I had a very good time with my discus.
Unfortunelly, I lost my job so I had to sell all my discus fish, it was very hard.
A year later, with a new job, I felt curiosity about reef tanks so I bought a 375 liters tank, led lights, sump of 110 liters, and all the thing needed to this kind of systems. I have to say that it was very hard at the begining. I found a lot of dificulties to adjust the water parameters, to reduce nitrate and phosphate levels... but at the end I could enjoy of a beauty reef tank.
And now, I found a job here in Dublin, so I had to dissmantle the tank (once again) and share out all my corals and fish among my friends.

As you can imagine (ig you have been patient to read all this tell), i can not live without a tank in my home. So three weeks ago I went to a very recognized store in Dublin and I brought home a 50 liters tank, several plants and I started again. I do not know if I am gonna keep shrimps, dwarf cichlids or... really I don't know!!

I promess more pictures of my tanks and fish!!

Regards
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 17:46 #2 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Piyyo's presentation
Welcome to the forum! I am planning on keeping discus too but heard its very hard work.

You seem to really like fish after leaving and coming back to the hobby! Post some pics of your new set up, i find shrimp very interesting!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
27 May 2014 17:51 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Piyyo's presentation
Piyyo,
Welcome along - thanks for a really good introduction - and fear not, your English is excellent, far better than my (non-existent) Spanish!!!
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 May 2014 20:40 #4 by piyyo (Carlos alvarez garcia)
Thanks for your kind words!!

Swai, keeping discus is not so hard. Just observe the discus, how they swim or how they feed or (if you are patient) they breed deserves the hard work. I think we can go on with this topic in the specific area. I will be delighted to help as much as I know.

Find here some pictures of my new and former setups. Good memories indeed!!

The first set is from my reef tanks, a learned a lot, and I will try in the future again.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

These other are from my discus. SOme of them had the bad luck to had been used for my learning.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

And some attempts to breed discus (all of them unsucces)

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Ah... now I feel a little nostalgic hahaha

Regards

More
27 May 2014 20:56 #5 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Hi Piyyo, welcome to the forum. Nice pics, your tanks looked amazing it's a shame you had to dismantle them.

Piyyo bienvenido al foro. Las fotos que has puesto son muy buenas, bonitos peces y acuarios, una pena tener que desmontarlos...
Yo empecé hace unos meses porque me entró un venazo y ahora tengo dos, aunque uno es un nano. Tu inglés es muy bueno, no te preocupes!

More
27 May 2014 21:09 - 27 May 2014 21:28 #6 by piyyo (Carlos alvarez garcia)
ANd this is my current tank. I only gonna be here for a year (unless my project get new foundings XD) so I decided for a little one. Is a 55 liters tank. At the moment there are only plants. I hope to incorporate some animals the next weekend.
A think that I am gonna change the light, I think that 18W is not enough for plants growing.

Some pics:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2014 21:28 by piyyo (Carlos alvarez garcia).

More
27 May 2014 23:03 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Welcome along to the forum Piyyo.

Good to see some nice pictures in your introduction.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
31 May 2014 00:09 #8 by Inza (philippe launois)
Welcome Piyyo !

You had some very nice fish !
hope to hear from you on discus keeping !

Inza.

More
31 May 2014 15:16 #9 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Hi Piyyo welcome along , nice pics

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds