Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hi All

More
15 Jun 2014 10:43 #1 by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
Hi All was created by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
I'm new to this site and look forward getting to know some fellow aquarists! I am still relatively new to the hobby so I'm hoping to get some tips on these forums. I will also share my current knowledge where possible.

I have been running a 38 L tropical aquarium for the last year and a half but I have just bought a new 240 L tank which is only a few days into its cycle. I'm looking forward to having it up and running. So far my only plan is to have live plants and fish in the tank and the tank currently has only some aquarium soil for the plants under a beautiful white sand, so I have a blank canvas at the moment! I will add pics once I start adding stuff.

Any tips on layouts will be considered!

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2014 12:10 #2 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Hi All
Hello Mark you'll find all the info you need here. Looking forward to some pictures. If you take some sponge out of the filter of the 38L and squeeze it into the 240L tank it will get the cycle moving faster. What are you keeping at the mo ?

Eric

More
15 Jun 2014 12:18 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Replied by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne) on topic Hi All
Welcome to the forum Mark.

Anthony

More
15 Jun 2014 14:17 #4 by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
Replied by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan) on topic Hi All
Thanks for the tip Eric.. I currently have a Rainbow Shark, Molly, Cory Catfish and 4 neon tetras.. No live plants in my current tank as I had a Leafy one (not sure of its actual name) which way overgrew the tank!

I'll attach a pic of my tank even tho there isn't much to see yet.. :huh:

Mark
Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2014 14:35 #5 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of friendly folks here. If u are looking for plants rocks wood even fish ask and you never know. ... What sort of a set up are u aiming for.

More
15 Jun 2014 14:44 - 15 Jun 2014 14:45 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Hi All
Hi eric, welcome to the site. Fastest way to setup a tank is to use ORGANIC AQUA. Look it up online.
sory mark got the name wrong opps.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 14:45 by paulv (paul vickers).

More
17 Jun 2014 10:23 #7 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic Hi All
Hi and welcome Mark, as mentioned above the filter squeeze in the water will speed up the cycle. Also you can add some bacteria in bottle.
Can't help with the reverse osmosis water since never had use it.
I cycled my first tank with a raw prawn and it took 3 weeks to be ready, then I cycled my second with water from the first one and bottled bacteria.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds