Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Never Introduced myself! :O

More
22 Jun 2016 13:50 #1 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)
Hi everyone...
I'm Chelsea, I'm nearly 21. I have keeping fish since I got little plastic tank with a shubunkin for my brthday in 6th class. I learned quite quickly that they needed space and decided to save for a tank as his poor little spine began to deform. He died a bit before I got the new tank. I then had a molly, a sucker, a guppy and a neon tetra, the poor little things.......
Ever since getting them, I have been hooked! (No pun intended)

I love Guppies, Betta Splendons and want to try many more fish....... My biggest challenge is space....... My mom won't let me have any more tanks and I only have a 50 and 20! I have had the 20 liter since I was in 6th class and got it with my confirmation money.

Horses are my passion and I'm trying to work as a professional photographer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2016 14:25 #2 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Good luck with your ambitions, Chelsea. Horses are a passion of mine as well, but I had to stop riding.
Bill

More
22 Jun 2016 14:52 #3 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)
Oh I'm so sorry. :(
I had to stop too due to my disability but can do light riding in moderation.

More
22 Jun 2016 16:21 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Welcome Chelsea.

More
22 Jun 2016 17:35 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
We've already chatted here...............but here's an official welcome.

If you want to chat about photography then please bring the subject up.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
22 Jun 2016 20:19 #6 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
+1 on official welcome :)

Embrace the challenges, there are many great nano set ups possible ;)

Tom

More
22 Jun 2016 22:53 #7 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Welcome to the forums :)

Start hiding tanks in wardrobes and the like lol. there is always room for fishtanks :)

More
22 Jun 2016 23:31 #8 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)
Not a bad idea Sukahn! Fish stuffed in every corner. My boyfriend would kill me over the noise!

Problem is Helix, I want loads of nano set ups!

More
22 Jun 2016 23:43 #9 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well i started off with a 136l tank, then got a 86L within a few weeks lol. A year and a half later i got a 700L and now just after setting up another 450L.

It helps that my better half loves marine fish so she is in charge of picking and is the main one feeding as i work nights :) My little girls love the tanks too, more so since the larger tank went in.

More
23 Jun 2016 06:23 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Welcome, now where could I fit another tank is a thought on everyone's mind I think.

More
23 Jun 2016 14:32 #11 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Pretty much as Sukahn said, get them involved and they hook up too.

It was challange to convince my wife for bigger tank and then she moaned when I was selling it all cause I switched from cichlids to planted tank :D

More
23 Jun 2016 18:26 #12 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)

Pretty much as Sukahn said, get them involved and they hook up too.

It was challange to convince my wife for bigger tank and then she moaned when I was selling it all cause I switched from cichlids to planted tank :D

Well they're considering letting me set one up and I'm getting my mom involved by allowing her to pick the theme and some fish breeds.

More
23 Jun 2016 18:28 #13 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)

Well i started off with a 136l tank, then got a 86L within a few weeks lol. A year and a half later i got a 700L and now just after setting up another 450L.

It helps that my better half loves marine fish so she is in charge of picking and is the main one feeding as i work nights :) My little girls love the tanks too, more so since the larger tank went in.

What could I do with a 700l? hmmm (goes into dream land) I'd definitely get sand and Khuli loaches

More
23 Jun 2016 18:30 #14 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)

Welcome, now where could I fit another tank is a thought on everyone's mind I think.

Even if we lived in mansions!

More
24 Jun 2016 05:57 #15 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
If I loved in a mansion and won the euro millions I already have my whole tank in my mind designed and ready to go. Now to do the euro millions tonight :)

More
24 Jun 2016 14:50 #16 by Homer (Kevin)
Welcome!!!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
24 Jun 2016 18:25 #17 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)

If I loved in a mansion and won the euro millions I already have my whole tank in my mind designed and ready to go. Now to do the euro millions tonight :)

Only one? xD

More
25 Jun 2016 05:36 #18 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Well it's going to be a monster tank lol, built into a wall, have 2 levels and be about 4meters long lol. Seen one on Facebook before and I'm in love with it lol.

That would be my main display tank, then I'd have a few other tanks that would be specific breed tanks, but they would all be marine.

More
25 Jun 2016 10:43 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

What could I do with a 700l? hmmm (goes into dream land) I'd definitely get sand and Khuli loaches

Very under-rated little fish.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
25 Jun 2016 15:14 #20 by robert (robert carter)
So Chelsea , i guess your ideal tank would be big enough to put a horse in with a camera hanging around its neck . :crazy:

More
25 Jun 2016 16:52 #21 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)

Very under-rated little fish.

I haven't been able to keep them yet. I have only seen them once. :O

More
25 Jun 2016 16:53 #22 by ChelseaSplendon95 (Chelsea Ward)

So Chelsea , i guess your ideal tank would be big enough to put a horse in with a camera hanging around its neck . :crazy:

No no Robert.... big enough for a good sized riding arena ;)

More
28 Jun 2016 10:28 #23 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
What you need is a seahorse tank and double stack them to save space lol
oh hi and welcome to the forum looking forward to seeing some of your photos,
i think most fishkeepers start with a goldfish at one stage i still have mine 7 years later
along with house and garden full of big fish tanks

Something fishie going on here

More
29 Jun 2016 16:48 #24 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

More
04 Jul 2016 11:38 #25 by CG (K Lynch)
Welcome, Chelsea

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds