Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Water charges

More
03 Oct 2014 07:55 #31 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Oh and in case anyone is wonderin , these rate are only valid until December 2016, after which they will rise.

I'm looking at getting a well installed at a cost of 4.5k, it will pay for itself in about 6 or7 years.

And i'll use my 30k free liters for drinking and water changes, all of which won't be over thi limit.

All in all, irish water can't bill me for a single cent

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2014 08:35 #32 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Water charges

Oh and in case anyone is wonderin , these rate are only valid until December 2016, after which they will rise.

I'm looking at getting a well installed at a cost of 4.5k, it will pay for itself in about 6 or7 years.

And i'll use my 30k free liters for drinking and water changes, all of which won't be over thi limit.

All in all, irish water can't bill me for a single cent

Don't overlook the Waste water charge? - Or don't Irish Water make this?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Oct 2014 08:40 - 03 Oct 2014 08:42 #33 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
they dont meter it, its assumed that 100% of the metered water is in the waste pipe,to quote from Irish water - "unless you can prove otherwise".
Had half a mind to send them in a photo of me watering the garden as prove :crazy:

(plus im on a septic tank - for the next 2 years)
Last edit: 03 Oct 2014 08:42 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh).

More
03 Oct 2014 08:45 #34 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Water charges
Water in does not equal water out, charging for something that does not enter the sewage system is theft, we have always been told that when there was drought it was alright to water plants etc with it, I don't ALWAYS use my own toilet, I am in work or a restaurant, taken short, I use the one provided, If I water the Garden it goes to the air or the soil,

Here's a stupid thing! If my neighbour is metered and I am not, I will be asked to pay an estimated bill, but with no Meter I can fill a swimming pool, many times over yet pay a guesstimate, my neighbour goes over by a fraction and they are billed for it, what a bloody joke!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
03 Oct 2014 08:54 #35 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
its true kev,

I've looked into - opting out of the install - not possible if the install is on public ground.
I've looked into - rain water harvesting, its a good idea but can be unsightly and expensive if in the ground. cost ~1200 -2000.
And finally I looked into - well drilling, now the only reason I'm going this root is the supplied promised - no water, no charge. Plus the softened water will clean out the appliances and heating system of limescale, And its hidden away nicely.

Myself and my wife never drink form the tap, mainly because of previous water contamination history - and late notification.
We estimated our bill at 850 euro per year once we are on our new water treatment system (before the free 30k allowance). its cazy money

More
03 Oct 2014 09:14 #36 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
John and Kev you're both right, getting 10k of water does not mean you're disposing of the same volume of water as waste. They do the maths perfectly planned for stealing.

I asked my mother how many is paying in Spain, in my town Jaen there dry years from time to time and when this happens reserves drop to 40-50% and water rationing start in some villages, normally the following year rains a lot and heavy than all the swamps reach their 100% and even water need to be released to prevent a catastrophe..now knowing all this my mom pays 50e each 3 months in a region with frequent water problems, and always pays the same! Bill don't go up when the year is dry! But I would have to pay much more than my mom, from 380e (with the allowance) to more than 500 because in my house (unmetered) live 3 adults.

But here in Ireland...I understand you have to pay for the infrastructure and maintenance of the water system but as a tax, and if is not already being paid which seems the case...but please we are in the fecking Ireland, there is water in every single pore of the country!! Are we crazy?!?!
And even if you want to charge for that the goverment must do it right and not just give 'water rights' to their friends.

More
03 Oct 2014 09:42 #37 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Water charges
In most public places in Japan they use water from wash hand basins to flush toilets. Im sure a plumber could repipe a house to do the same thing here saving water.

More
03 Oct 2014 10:56 - 03 Oct 2014 11:19 #38 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Paying water a fifth time:

Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

Supposedly until today more than 600k application packs had been sent back with no consent no contract.

This is why they really want the PPS N for :
'Bills are to be issued quarterly, but as Irish Water will have the tenant’s PPS number, the utility firm will be able to pursue the tenant for any arrears and even apply any arrears to new accounts, when the tenant moves to a new address'

From www.lisney.com/About-Lisney/News-And-Res...ts’-water-bills.aspx
Last edit: 03 Oct 2014 11:19 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
03 Oct 2014 12:41 #39 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Guys, below is a list of companies that are entitled to your PPS numbers

www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/PPSN-Register-of...s---Other-Users.aspx

Irish Water is listed there

More
03 Oct 2014 12:52 - 03 Oct 2014 15:10 #40 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Water charges
It just goes from bad to worse.

This whole thing - if not so serious would be farcical!

George Orwell's predictions are coming to fruition.

Still, while we're all up in arms about this it takes the attention away from the likes of Mcnulty and Hogan etc etc...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2014 15:10 by JohnH (John). Reason: missing letter replaced

More
03 Oct 2014 19:53 #41 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Guys, below is a list of companies that are entitled to your PPS numbers

www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/PPSN-Register-of...s---Other-Users.aspx

Irish Water is listed there

But not all of those demand it or have a right to it.........and there is no need for most to have a right or a need to it either.
Some may store it if persons want to voluntarily give it.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
03 Oct 2014 21:30 #42 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
As Kev stated above, the company structure is flawed. It relies on 60%? of it income/profit to come from charges, which leaves it open to price increases when it doesnt get the returns it expects as people reduce their usuage to cut costs. They just increase the charge to get the amount they want.
Also the government gave away the oil rights. If we imposed contracts like any other country for a percentange then we'd all be millionaires ( or there abouts)

More
04 Oct 2014 21:14 - 04 Oct 2014 21:15 #43 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Water charges
If they can do it, why can't we?? Apathy and laziness prevails, please don't stay at home on the 11th, please join the march, it was defeated once, it can be again, we were treated as idiots being made to vote twice on Lisbon, we were deemed too ignorant first time so we were made do it again until we got it right!

www.popularresistance.org/detroit-water-...actions-and-demands/

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 04 Oct 2014 21:15 by Homer (Kevin).

More
04 Oct 2014 22:48 #44 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Fine gael didnt win the election, they were given it by a confused public with too many choices of who to elect other than Fianna fail. They should have done a Lisbon.
Do they forget who signed the north over to the british ?
Every reply from them in the first few months was an attack on Sinn fein.
Any answer to a question was blamed on Fianna fail/legacy.
Implementing de trioka ? Policies that have been proven not to work ?
Lying to the people of Ireland, the people the represent. People need to stop drinking flouridated water and cop on to the BS thats been spun.
If as they claim the take from taxes doesnt cover the cost of water provision ( this is another deeper issue) then they should have increased the tax, but they couldnt be seen to do this outright. So they came up with this dumb-wit idea of Irish water.
:-(

More
05 Oct 2014 08:49 #45 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Don't agree with the way they are doing it. Think it's a scam to get money - lower consumption means higher unit charge, no meter then assessed charge etc.
us country folk have been paying for our water since I was a kid and no issue as it was a fair amount ( not this one ) and it was to cover the service, treat water, fix leaks etc. you would be surprised to see how much actually leaks - wet fields near troughs and with a meter how quickly it gets fixed but this iw will be taking us over in jan with a whole different criteria and billing charges

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds