Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ITFS Fish Show for 2010

More
24 May 2010 19:09 - 24 May 2010 19:18 #61 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I really enjoyed the show and thought the standard of fish benched was very high. As was said, I don't think the weather did us any favours in terms of attendance, but it wasn't a disaster by any means.

It's great to spend a couple of days with fellow fishkeepers and engage in something that promotes the hobby.

Thanks for all your congratulations. I'm really humbeld that my fish was chosen as "Best in Show" amongst fish of such a high standard.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 24 May 2010 19:18 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2010 19:10 #62 by lestat (Stuie)
I Have to agree there the Rainbows on show from fintastic aquatics were real beautys,but IMO the big bumble bee cat was a stunner,great to met everyone der they were all so nice and full of chat,Great to met the man John H himself too,and all the rest of the guys.....defo participating next year:)
Stuie W

More
24 May 2010 23:01 - 24 May 2010 23:03 #63 by LoachyTheClown (Liam Sully)
Yeah, big thanks to everyone who worked so hard organising this years show. Fair play to Darragh and Stuie for getting great pics up already!
I agree the standard of fish was even higher than last year..some unusual and quality specimens on display!
Even tho the numbers were down on last year it was still very enjoyable.
Boo to all the people who went to the beach but if the weather's like this next year we can just have the show outdoors :woohoo:
Last edit: 24 May 2010 23:03 by LoachyTheClown (Liam Sully).

More
25 May 2010 00:28 #64 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
brilliant show lads well done to all concerned even met the great Anton, pity i missed his talk but studying for college exams ruined that, next year i think i'll bench something now tha my fish house is 99% complete, whoo hoo more tanks

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 May 2010 13:06 #65 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:ITFS Fish Show for 2010
A big thank you to all involved for putting yet another brilliant Fish Show together.
I was impressed at the fish being displayed and was delighted to catch up with my fishy friends ! :)
It was well worth the trip from Galway - I am already looking forward to next year's ! :)

Thanks again - Valerie

More
25 May 2010 13:53 #66 by DJK (David Kinsella)
I moseyed along to the Show for my first time and was very impressed with the standard on display. After doing a few laps of the track the fish that remain stuck in my head were the bumblebee catfish,
the Angelfish and the sheer size and beauty of some of the Corydoras.

I will definitely show a few next year all going well as I now know more of what is involved.

A couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon well spent.

Dave

More
25 May 2010 14:00 #67 by Anotheridiot (Daniel Stuart Kelly)
I would just like to echo all the thanks so far in this thread.

Thanks to all involved for organising, and allowing me to be part of, such a fantastic weekend.

I'll admit was knackered by the end of it, and needed Monday off work to recover (glad I booked it in advance :laugh: ) But had a thoroughly enjoyable fishy weekend.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

More
25 May 2010 15:12 #68 by JohnH (John)
Daniel,
I've 'sort of' mentioned you in other posts but I have to say it really was great to have yourself and your fellow Club members 'muck in' and help out as much as you all did so it was just reward that you all took home awards for your Fish. I'm only a little concerned about one thing...a certain Antipodean lad - he took me to task for calling him an 'Antipodean Gentleman' last time I did - only won one prize in the Raffle this year! Acara, you're slipping!

Thanks again,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 May 2010 17:43 - 25 May 2010 17:45 #69 by goldy (goldy .)
hi valerie I forgot to mention you in my brain dead post yesterday so sorry about that. You travelled a fair distance to join us and it was great to see both of you and you looking so well. Still a bit wrecked today and couldnt sleep last night cause I am too tired so the bottle of vino is coming out tonight and that should finish me off I hope.

And as Johnh has mentioned thanks to the lfks club for helping out. It takes a few people working hard to put this thing on and everyone that came to help really pulled out all the stops. Next year though I will be setting up a road block on the way to brittas bay if the weather is like last weekend.....

Also thanks a million to John who worked with bernard all day to set up the staging and came back for more on the sunday. I dont have a number for you so if you are online and see this thanks you were brilliant.

n
Last edit: 25 May 2010 17:45 by goldy (goldy .).

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 May 2010 20:16 #70 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:ITFS Fish Show for 2010
Hi Nessa,

No worries - It was great to see you too. As far as the distance is concerned, it has just become so easy with the new motorway ... it took us exactly 2 hours to cross the country ! :)

I'd say you are very tired indeed. Get some rest tonight! :)

Valerie

More
26 May 2010 00:34 #71 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
lorcan wrote:

Didnt mean any offence, sorry if it looks that way. Fair play to all again who were involved

Don't worry Lorcan you didn't offend anyone.
For last years show i tried to get people off the forum to do different setup's and we would let the public vote on the best tank. But unfortunately there was no one willing to do a tank. We did try.
Instead of doing the same thing each year we try different ideas that involve forum members and the public. Not all ideas work but we do try.
As mentioned i did a planted tank especially for the show but didn't get time to collect it and set it up again. Which is a pity. That tank will be stripped next week like it never happened.
Keep the ideas coming for the next show. All ideas welcome but we do need people to execute the ideas or they dont become reality.
I would love to see a row of planted, decorated or biotope tanks lined up. I would say it would look amazing.

@ DJK. I'm glad you came along after you were told it was all a "click". As far as i know all those who benched fish got a little something for taking part. Without people benching fish days like this to promote the hobby just wouldn't happen.

It is a lot of work that goes on for months before and after the show and hats off to all the shops that supported the show, all the people involved in the setting up and all those who traveled the length and breath of the country to show support. It was great seeing you all.

I'm sure i have left load out but my brain is still a bit tired. So if i left you out sorry.

Darren.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds