Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new marine tank setup trigon 190

More
13 Mar 2014 09:50 - 29 Jun 2014 13:45 #1 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
so iv decided to turn from tropical to marine i thought i wouldnt of been able to do this until one of the staff members in seahorse aquariums told me that it wouldnt be to hard and has helped me with all the info i needed so i got started about a month ago on getting the equipment as i want it sumped for the nice neat look all i want to see is circulation pumps and return so ill get started n wat i have so far

jewel 190 trigon tank wit stand

jewel 72l whice ill be turning into my sump

schuran protein skimmer wit aqua bee 2000l/h powerhead

boyu halogen light wit 2 Actinic blue bulbs and 2 blue led bulbs

jabeo dc-6000 return pump

eheim reeflex uv 500 steriliser

blau eductor water accelerator for my return to the tank

interpet 300w heather to go along wit my jewel 200w in the sump

i also picked up 2 hydr 3200 l/h circulation pumps and the hydor pump controller
Last edit: 29 Jun 2014 13:45 by Leo b (Leo bowes).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2014 09:53 #2 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2014 09:56 - 13 Mar 2014 10:01 #3 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
cant upload any more pics for some reason
Last edit: 13 Mar 2014 10:01 by Leo b (Leo bowes). Reason: not uploading pics

More
13 Mar 2014 10:01 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Lookin forward to seeing the progress
I had a similar thought with the trigon 190 in our place, but my little fella would do his nut!!!!(its his tank now)

Might eventually buy him a 350 to match mine at some stage and then use the 190 for marine

More
13 Mar 2014 10:04 #5 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
i would have loving to do a 350 but i wanted t start small just incase and there be trigons all oer the house u wont have a corner in the house at all ha

More
13 Mar 2014 10:06 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
A corner without a trigon is a corner wasted haha

More
13 Mar 2014 10:07 - 13 Mar 2014 10:09 #7 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
thats true pal ha no corner sofas in ur house trigon instead
Last edit: 13 Mar 2014 10:09 by Leo b (Leo bowes).

More
13 Mar 2014 10:30 #8 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2014 14:12 #9 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
So small update the tank and sump is now empty and ready to be sent to Bart in rainbow aquatics to be drilled and built for marine Also got my measurements to cut my trigon cabinet to make my sump fit underneath
I took the middle section out of it and test fitted my sump wit skimmer so I know how much I have to play wit not much at all but will work wit what I have

Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2014 14:19 #10 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
With the centre pannel removed will you get away without any additional bracing on the cabnite? I awlays thought the divider was a structural part of them?
Just remember every litre of water equates to a kilo weight plus tank rock and substrate
Os there will be over 200kg on the cabnite when you fill the tank!!!
Perhaps a bit of bracing would be a sensible option?
Even just a central support (door jam) at the front in the centre?

More
18 Mar 2014 14:35 #11 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I agree with Hammie. The central support seems vital IMO. And it is not so much the strain that the side panels will have to support but the fact that being a bowl shaped aquarium most of the weight will go to the center of the aquarium and if there is nothing then it could potentially break or even tip over. Specially as time goes by.

But this is just an opinion and have no experience designing or building aquarium cabinets, you might want to get someone to double check this for you.

More
18 Mar 2014 14:40 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Exactly, I wouldnt want to see a couple of grand all over your living room floor in a couple of years because of a lack of a 5 euro piece of wood.....

I merely looking at the cabnite from an engineering point of view and wondering whats going to support it at the doors.... you dont want to have the top bow and end up using your doors as support (you cant open them in this case) cause the hinges are not strong!!!!
I had to do a job on my 350 cabnite cause the hinge got damaged by a 20 litre container falling out of my hand when i was lifting it to put clean water into the tank

More
18 Mar 2014 14:42 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)
And can you close the doors? .....I agree with the lads about the centre support but if the sump can go back some more then you could just put the centre piece back in.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
18 Mar 2014 14:43 #14 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Sorry lads I didn't explain but I will be putting in 1/4 of the centre piece and I will build a frame around the inside to brace it also so I know it will be very strong and won't break my girlfriends step dad is a carpenter and is going to help me with it

More
18 Mar 2014 14:45 #15 by ger310 (Ger .)

And can you close the doors? .....I agree with the lads about the centre support but if the sump can go back some more then you could just put the centre piece back in.

Ger

Actually on another look you are really squeezed for space in there............is the tank in the picture the one your using as the sump?

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
18 Mar 2014 14:52 #16 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Yeah, try pulling the sump back a bit and buy a piece of wood and place it right in the middle of it. This at least will hold the weight of the aquarium. The only downside is that you wont be able to remove the sump unless you find a way to make this middle support removable.

Something like this

Another way of doing is to leave this as they were originally and then split the sump in two part, one on each side and then communicate them with PVC, similar to customer sumps made for the RSM250

Something like this

More
18 Mar 2014 14:53 #17 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Sorry just saw your reply... good to know! Panic mode off! ;)

More
18 Mar 2014 15:02 #18 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Yes that's the sump ger I plan on cutting the back as it will still have it's support and putting the sump back more I'll put up a pic now of wat I mean but also a frame around the sump for extra support I'll post pics step by step on wat I do but this pick will be a rough idea
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2014 15:27 #19 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Sure that looks to be the job all together......
What I was going to suggest was building a small plinth at the back of the cabnite the same height as the sump, (with a channel thru it for the origional centre support to sit into) then "notching the centre support to slide in around the sump (over the top into the plinth and down to the floor) to keep a full spectrum of support the entire length of the top piece.....
but it looks like you have it sorted.....
sorry if my suggestion opened a can of worms for you, but i would rather say these things out loud and everyone to give an opinion rather than say nothing and see someone have a disaster a bit down the line!!!

I took your plans as a bit of insentive and shelved my plans for a while!!! Ill pickup another trigon and go marine with that instead of starting small and having to upgrade
so thanks for the inspiration

More
18 Mar 2014 17:37 #20 by Leo b (Leo bowes)

Sure that looks to be the job all together......
What I was going to suggest was building a small plinth at the back of the cabnite the same height as the sump, (with a channel thru it for the origional centre support to sit into) then "notching the centre support to slide in around the sump (over the top into the plinth and down to the floor) to keep a full spectrum of support the entire length of the top piece.....
but it looks like you have it sorted.....
sorry if my suggestion opened a can of worms for you, but i would rather say these things out loud and everyone to give an opinion rather than say nothing and see someone have a disaster a bit down the line!!!

I took your plans as a bit of insentive and shelved my plans for a while!!! Ill pickup another trigon and go marine with that instead of starting small and having to upgrade
so thanks for the inspiration

thanks a mill for your it's nice to know other peoples ideas aswel iv done my research on the trigon cabinets for a while and the way I have it in my head seems to be perfect hopefully it works out that way now thanks everyone for the concern

More
05 Apr 2014 21:35 #21 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
So small update Bart sent me some photos of my tank nearly there now I'll be collecting Monday so better get my finger out and get the cabinet done more updates Monday

Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2014 08:43 #22 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Looks well... your tank looks brand new!
Not a scrape or scratch in sight!
Liking the plans so far, all seems very well thought out! Well done!
Something to be careful of with the trigon as well tho is water flow and rock placement!

I have 2 powerheads in my 350 and sometimes I think I should put a 3rd in as there are normally a few dead spots in the water flow!

More
06 Apr 2014 09:33 #23 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Great thread, Well worked out, I think I will follow your ideas and do something similar myself.

More
07 Apr 2014 22:37 #24 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
bit of an update got the cabinet cut out it turned out perfect

Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2014 22:41 #25 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
i also got the tank and sump back from bart in rainbow aquatics witch im very happy with

Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2014 22:47 #26 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
also got my tank and sump set up just need to do a couple more bits and it will be up and running just got lazy tonight will finish it tomorrow sorry about the 3 different posts it will only let me do 3 pics at time

Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2014 22:55 #27 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic new marine tank setup
Looking good. Nice work

More
08 Apr 2014 07:42 #28 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Very nice indeed...

More
08 Apr 2014 08:10 #29 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
You should put a small light into the cabnite so that when your working on the sump the light comes on to let you see what your doing!!!!
Black cabnites are a bit of a pain in the hoop cause they are so dark

Keep up the good work

Well done so far

More
08 Apr 2014 08:24 #30 by Leo b (Leo bowes)

You should put a small light into the cabnite so that when your working on the sump the light comes on to let you see what your doing!!!!
Black cabnites are a bit of a pain in the hoop cause they are so dark

Keep up the good work
Well done so far

I never thought about that at all nice one pal I'll pick up a light in the next few days for it

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds