Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new marine tank setup trigon 190

More
08 Apr 2014 23:56 #31 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Another small update it's finally set up will be going to get filteration water and live rock in the next day or two happy how it turned out and I also put a light it the cabinet as hammie suggested thanks for that and I also got a blue background off seahorse also

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2014 21:00 #32 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Collected me water filteration sand and a small bit of plumbing yesterday in seahorse so it's all set up for its cycle now the water is very merchy at the moment so I'll pick up me live rock during the week all is going well now can't wait to start getting some fish in the next few weeks have a holiday first then when I'm home it should be ready to go

Attachments:

More
13 Apr 2014 21:16 #33 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
This is a terrific project you have ongoing here..
Top notch work..
Ya have me thinking about a marine adventure...
Haven't quite had the guts to take the plunge into the deep scarey ocean yet lol..
I've only braved lakes ponds and rivers so far.. :P

More
13 Apr 2014 21:16 #34 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Looks well
If you want to clear the water of small debris, add a second filter with only filter floss or filter wool in it! Will do nothing only help polish the water

More
13 Apr 2014 21:22 #35 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Clever tip Hammie...
Mental note made for future reference...
:)

More
13 Apr 2014 21:54 - 13 Apr 2014 21:54 #36 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Thanks a mill lads and thanks for the tip hammie I'll do that tomorrow now and gunnered if your thinking of going marine you be way cheaper to try buy a second hand marine set up cause it's awful pricey but we'll worth every penny it's exciting every time you get something new and it's good fun setting it all up then
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 21:54 by Leo b (Leo bowes).

More
13 Apr 2014 22:12 #37 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Look forward to seeing shots of the scape and stock..
Make sure to post a few..

More
13 Apr 2014 22:41 #38 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
I will indeed pal

More
16 Apr 2014 18:14 #39 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
So i picked up my live rock and set my light up I'll be hanging the light sometime next week haven't got around to doing it yet kinda scraped it a bit but not to sure wat way to have it happy wit the way it is at the moment but also put a small bit in the sump for extra filteration couple of weeks and I'll be starting my stocking looking forward to it here's some pics as it sits

Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2014 09:23 - 26 Apr 2014 09:24 #40 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Finally got my light hung and it looks gret just another couple of weeks to cycle and i can start adding a cleaning crew and fish

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Apr 2014 09:24 by Leo b (Leo bowes).

More
26 Apr 2014 09:28 #41 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Looks fantastic Leo
Really like it!
Is that light unit full spectrum?
Im looking for a light unit for my 3ft tank at the min! Like the look of that 1

More
26 Apr 2014 10:05 #42 by Leo b (Leo bowes)

Looks fantastic Leo
Really like it!
Is that light unit full spectrum?
Im looking for a light unit for my 3ft tank at the min! Like the look of that 1

thanks pal and im not sure i got it off a member on here and he was using it on his marine tank and told me it was brilliant dont know much about it just know its a very good light ha

More
26 Apr 2014 10:08 #43 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Tank looks amazing!
Fair play!

More
13 May 2014 21:22 - 13 May 2014 21:24 #44 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Small update finally got something into my tank it's all cycled and ready to go got 3 red leg hermit crabs today off seahorse going to go tomorrow and get a few more inverts tomorrow unless anyone has any for sale but here's a few pics of them after they went in

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2014 21:24 by Leo b (Leo bowes).

More
13 May 2014 22:23 #45 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Dont forget yer man I was tellin ya about
Im sure he will have what your after

More
13 May 2014 22:35 #46 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Sound hammie I'll check now

More
13 May 2014 22:37 #47 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
What was the name again

More
17 May 2014 18:19 #48 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
So just a small update picked up the last few inverts for my clean up crew happy to see a bit of movement now
5x blue legged hermit crabs
3x turbo snails
2x sand shifting snail
2x other snails can't think of the name right now
1x fire shrimp
1x cleaner shrimp

Attachments:

More
17 May 2014 18:55 #49 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Looking great Leo!

Btw red legged hermits and blue legged hermits... not a good idea unless your intention was to serve the as food to the red legged hermits! ;)

Personally I always wanted to put blue legged but I was advised against. In all fairness, it all depends on the crab, I have one red legged hermit who keeps attacking all the other red hermit. He doesnt mess with my pompom crab nor with black mitrax looking crab (it is not a mitrax but very similar)

More
17 May 2014 19:08 #50 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Thanks for that I didn't know that but they seem to be getting on fine there all alive anyway ha

More
23 May 2014 13:04 #51 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Small update went to seahorse yesterday to buy my first fish it picked up 2 common clowns here's a few pics

Also got a pic of my fire shrimp after he got his new shell

Attachments:

More
24 May 2014 18:23 #52 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
The new edition seems happy in there for now hopefully I don't get the dreaded white spot

Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2014 14:43 #53 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Small update picked up a couple more fish off seahorse got 4 choromis and 1 white goby also got my first coral from bohrio thanks for that

Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2014 19:32 #54 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Leo

Nice goby... how are the chromis doing? are they aggressive or territorial?

The coral is looking great. Just remember that if you put it close to another rock they will spread to that rock in a matter of days!

how are the 3 button corals doing?

More
11 Jun 2014 22:34 #55 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Hey Alex thanks and no they seem fine in there getting along well with there tank mates and ye I'm hopping for it to grow all over that rock at the front of the tank and ye the buttons are flying for only been in there a couple of days

More
29 Jun 2014 13:14 #56 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Small update last week I lost 2 of the choromis was a bit devo but a least there not to expensive got my levels back to normal so I picked up to more corals and here's a pic of the button polps for bohrio

Attachments:

More
29 Jun 2014 20:01 - 29 Jun 2014 20:05 #57 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey Leo

Thanks for the picture of the button polyps... sooner than you imagine they will start multiplying like crazy!

Tank is looking great man, sorry to hear about your chromis

Its a great idea to get frags instead of bigger corals, they are cheap and if you have the patience they are worth it!

Just so you get an idea of how fast the button grow, this picture was taken one month ago

And this is today

Last edit: 29 Jun 2014 20:05 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
29 Jun 2014 23:19 #58 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Thanks man and that's some transformation in a month the colour of them are lovely when they grow out and how's your tank coming along

More
08 Nov 2014 17:23 #59 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Small update got more corals and I also lost my coral beauty angel to a bubble in his swim bladder

Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2014 17:25 #60 by Leo b (Leo bowes)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds