Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

DIY Shrimplets safe - Cover for the filter groove

More
16 Feb 2014 18:39 #1 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
As one of my yellows is with eggs and will be hatch soon I needed something to cover the filter entrance to prevent them going sucked, so I did this in a moment.

What I used:
- scissors, needle and cutter
- 2 and 2/3 chopsticks
- black stocking
- black thread

When I finnished it remembered me the stretchers used in the football matches lol

But it needed to be a bit more tight, so I cut 2 parts from a third chopstick and put it this way.

Then I just sinked the stick the closest I could to the filter box and this is how it looks:

Is very easy to put and remove and the water flows.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2014 20:48 #2 by JohnH (John)
Very enterprising, thanks for showing us your handiwork.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Feb 2014 22:09 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
Methinks she's a Genius!!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
16 Feb 2014 22:23 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
that's a really clever fix for what I've always seen as a design flaw in Juwel filters

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Feb 2014 03:59 #5 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)

More
17 Feb 2014 10:50 #6 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks guys for your compliments but I kinda suck at DIY. :S

I just wanted to contribute with something since I've been learning so much from all of you in this 3 months.

More
17 Feb 2014 11:06 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Thanks guys for your compliments but I kinda suck at DIY. :S

the only real test of DIY is if it works!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Feb 2014 13:43 #8 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Get a patent and contact juwel, you will be able to afford a few more tanks or even a fish house !

More
17 Feb 2014 14:42 - 17 Feb 2014 14:42 #9 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Get a patent and contact juwel, you will be able to afford a few more tanks or even a fish house !

You kidding, right? ;)

You made a point there, with all the accessories they have they should have make something for people that keeps inverts in their tanks.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2014 14:42 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
17 Feb 2014 15:12 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Just occurred to me... one word of warning...

if it's cotton thread you used it WILL rot eventually. That's why some people use it to attach plants or logs; because in time it rots away and doesn't need to be removed

More
17 Feb 2014 15:20 #11 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks for the warning, yes I used it because fishing thread and that one were the only ones I have handy.

So I hope it last a couple of months because is the time I'll need it more or less. If not I'll buy the green one I've seen at the lfs and resew it.

More
17 Feb 2014 15:29 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Ever considered a dedicated shrimp tank?

More
17 Feb 2014 15:39 #13 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Yes, in fact I'm buying for them and the snails a nano 30l from NosIreland next weekend but until it gets ready they have to stay in my community one and my yellow mama's eggs are about to hatch!

More
17 Feb 2014 15:54 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I had some cherry shrimp hatch last weekend. Really is fascinating to see 20 or so tiny little replicas of the adults in the tank... and the tank is tiny!

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds