Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

DIY external filter?

More
20 Feb 2014 12:04 - 20 Feb 2014 12:17 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Has anyone made a DIY external? I'm considering making one out of a sealable Tupperware container and a juwel powerhead and using it for a 20L tank. Good idea or a waste of time?

EDIT: the highest problem i think is keeping it airtight. Any views?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 20 Feb 2014 12:17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2014 13:30 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
You will have issues trying to keep it water tight, but if you master that you will be doing just fine.

Realistically there is little difference between this and the custom internal that was put up on the site earlier this week!

Main difference is that you will have a couple of pipes coming out of it (one for out take and the other for intake) instead of the multiple holes in the bottom that were shown on the internal.

The other thing to think about is, the placement of the power head. If it was me, I would built it almost identicle to the internal and pipe the water back in
be careful of the diameter of piping you use otherwise youll need a stronger pump to make it work!

Its a good idea, if i get time I might have a look at building one just for filter floss to polish the water when its getting messy looking to see how my theory would work in practice

More
20 Feb 2014 14:46 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
As long as i keep the gauge of the hoses close to the size of the powerhead plumbing, i should be ok, right?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 Feb 2014 16:37 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
If I'm not mistaken the gauge of the pipes isn't really important
Well as long as it's not to small as in airhose size,
I know some external s work on self siphoning,
And the pump pumps the water back into the tank

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 Feb 2014 16:41 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I suppose what I meant by the guage of pipe work was the pressue of the water returning to the tank....
i.e. 50lph thru a 10 mm hose is "x" pressure but increase to a 1" pipe and there might be only a trickle

Depending on what you plan to keep you may decide you want a bit of "flow" from the filter therefore a narrower pipe might be the answer.

Does that make more sense?

More
20 Feb 2014 16:46 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I suppose what I meant by the guage of pipe work was the pressue of the water returning to the tank....
i.e. 50lph thru a 10 mm hose is "x" pressure but increase to a 1" pipe and there might be only a trickle

Depending on what you plan to keep you may decide you want a bit of "flow" from the filter therefore a narrower pipe might be the answer.

Does that make more sense?

yeah it does. I'm not expecting strong flow from it. It's just going to be a small planted tank

More
20 Feb 2014 20:21 - 20 Feb 2014 20:22 #7 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Last edit: 20 Feb 2014 20:22 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
20 Feb 2014 20:40 #8 by davey_c (dave clarke)
An easier option would be a hob filter with airpump for the uplift but if ye hada wanted a hob filter I supose ye would have asked haha.
Yep I've seen lots of diy filters like the 1 you propose to build and they are handy built so my advice would be to ask uncle google for ideas :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
20 Feb 2014 21:06 #9 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Has anyone made a DIY external? I'm considering making one out of a sealable Tupperware container and a juwel powerhead and using it for a 20L tank. Good idea or a waste of time?

EDIT: the highest problem i think is keeping it airtight. Any views?

Technically if you keep your Tupperware box above the level of your tank it won't have to be air tight,
If you could manage to have an overflow backin to your tank you'd be laughing!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds