Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

paint for fake rocks

More
11 Mar 2014 02:56 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm going to be making foam rocks for my cave setup soon and I'm wondering, is there a paint anyone would recommend for them?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2014 14:12 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I should add, it needs to come in a dark grey

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
11 Mar 2014 14:13 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic paint for fake rocks
what about just using a pigment for ur cement

More
11 Mar 2014 19:32 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

what about just using a pigment for ur cement

what cement?

More
11 Mar 2014 22:21 #5 by alan 64 (alan)
what are u just going to paint the foam usualy the foam is coverd with a concrete mix

More
12 Mar 2014 00:24 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

what are u just going to paint the foam usualy the foam is coverd with a concrete mix

i was going to paint it and seal it with resin

More
12 Mar 2014 01:51 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
certain paints dont need to be sealed i dont think im sure darren in seahorse was telling me that i have used just concret made to a like batter texture and added charcoal pigment and it works a treat and makes it look like real rock im not sure if paint alone will get u that effect

More
12 Mar 2014 10:01 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers. Looks like I'll need to have a chat with Darren. Any idea how much that costs?

More
12 Mar 2014 10:09 #9 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I've seen spray paint at woodies thats looks like rock, but not sure if is safe for aquariums.

More
12 Mar 2014 11:01 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)
You could get a grey pigment for epoxy resin either

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
12 Mar 2014 11:19 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
what are u asking about the cost of lemon

More
12 Mar 2014 11:35 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

what are u asking about the cost of lemon

the cost of the pigment and cement... Not talking to Darren. I know that's free ;)

More
12 Mar 2014 11:39 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I've seen spray paint at woodies thats looks like rock, but not sure if is safe for aquariums.

I'm not taking any chances. Technically i could use grey hammerite paint as well, just as long as it cured properly but i don't think that would be durable enough

More
12 Mar 2014 14:35 #14 by alan 64 (alan)
the cement cost me 10 euro but i didnt use it all so i bought too much check out my post on my tank build if u like the colour i have some pigment there u can have some

More
12 Mar 2014 15:51 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Cheers, that'd be great :cool:

I'm not doing anything as large scale as yours, so i wouldn't need much. I'm placing a largish rock feature in the middle of the tank near the top and 1-2 other pieces to hide filter hoses etc. If it looks anything like as good as yours I'll be very happy!

Where did you get your cement?

More
12 Mar 2014 16:37 #16 by alan 64 (alan)
think i got my cement in woodies its just imn a white plastic bag with handymix wrote in red i think i would recpment u get this one as i have had no reactions with my fish from the cement

More
12 Mar 2014 17:31 #17 by alan 64 (alan)
i have cenent there mate just checked if your over near liffey valley centre anytime let me know u can have the cement and some pigment

More
12 Mar 2014 23:44 #18 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic paint for fake rocks
''i was going to paint it and seal it with resin''
if you plan on sealing it with resin why don't you just pour a coat of sand and grit over the resin when wet , let it dry, add another coat and add more sand / grit, that will give you a very natural finish, you can use different coloured sands to give the fake rocks more character, I did a d.i.y. background for a couple of my tanks using polystyrene and foam, then coated it with epoxy resin and added sand, ,gravel, peat to the wet epoxy and got a pretty natural looking finish as an end result

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
13 Mar 2014 10:34 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

i have cenent there mate just checked if your over near liffey valley centre anytime let me know u can have the cement and some pigment

cheers mate. I think I might take you up on that offer :cool:

More
13 Mar 2014 10:37 #20 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

''i was going to paint it and seal it with resin''
if you plan on sealing it with resin why don't you just pour a coat of sand and grit over the resin when wet , let it dry, add another coat and add more sand / grit, that will give you a very natural finish, you can use different coloured sands to give the fake rocks more character, I did a d.i.y. background for a couple of my tanks using polystyrene and foam, then coated it with epoxy resin and added sand, ,gravel, peat to the wet epoxy and got a pretty natural looking finish as an end result

that's a good idea but I'm looking for a cave effect ie smooth(ish) grey rocks and stalagtites. that's why I'm using basalt rocks on the aquarium floor

More
13 Mar 2014 17:52 #21 by alan 64 (alan)
cool man thats no problem

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds