Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New 3000L pond build

More
28 Jun 2016 19:01 #31 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic New 3000L pond build
there piss easy ger and itls save ye a fortune ye can build it as big as u like hook a uv up to it ur laughing

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2016 19:10 #32 by robert (robert carter)
hi I got the g4 off ebay there is a guy on done deal that builds ponds ,he might be able to help you . reguarding the heron covers ,I looked at these a couple of years ago ,and didn't think they covered enough of the the pond . I made up my covers using some 2 X 1 timber and covered them with a green plastic netting I got in woodies . herons are very persistant birds , I had two herons sitting on the roof of the house behind me every morning for two weeks this spring before they got the message that they weren't getting my fish

More
11 Jul 2016 16:32 #33 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic New 3000L pond build

there piss easy ger and itls save ye a fortune ye can build it as big as u like hook a uv up to it ur laughing

Jaysus that's straight forward enough Alan isn't it........one for the future!! cheers

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
11 Jul 2016 16:42 #34 by ger310 (Ger .)
Little update........well lights and filter pump are here but the delay now is the G4 paint......I ordered it last week and collected it yesterday via parcel motel......but to my horror when I opened it I realised I bought the Clear G4 instead of the black!!.....now what i'm gonna do is do 2 coats with the clear G4 and 1 coat with the black that I ordered yesterday,and that I will hopefully have by Friday...........then weather permitting I will get it done some time soon after that.............once it's sealed it will be full steam ahead so hopefully in the next two weeks it will be ready for fish :)

Ger

More
11 Jul 2016 17:24 #35 by robert (robert carter)
Watched the filter video no way would that filter do a 1000 gallon , it has no uv and just isnt big enough,
The pond he has it running on is a lot smaller than 1000 gallons . Might be ok for a wifelife pond . Where would my 15kg of biohome fit

More
11 Jul 2016 17:48 - 11 Jul 2016 17:50 #36 by alan 64 (alan)
Its the principle in the filter building not the size in the video, i will be building mine with a water tank out of an attic using the same principles, filters are easily built and a lot less expensive than what u will spend in a suppliers how much would u pay for a filter the size of an attic water tank in a suppliers, and add a seperate uv system which are got cheap enough and ur laughing
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 17:50 by alan 64 (alan). Reason: Spel

More
11 Jul 2016 18:44 #37 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Alan , my mate got a oase filter 10 years old, we reckon the filter box hold about 100 gallon plus a 110 uv total cost was over 1600 euro , i replaced the uv for him this year cost 240 euro . A large attic tank should make a good filter , loads of room for media and with a bit of planning you should be able to get a uv that will bolt onto the side making a good looking unit . What media were you thinking of using ?.will certainly work out a lot cheaper than buying one the same size

More
11 Jul 2016 19:45 #38 by alan 64 (alan)
Bio home rob il be on to u to see where u get it also what are the recomendations for uv size and water flow rate through them for ponds

More
11 Jul 2016 21:49 #39 by robert (robert carter)
Just let me know total surface area and total capacity to include filter and i will do my best to work something out for you , also will need to know what fish , presummaly koi .

More
11 Jul 2016 21:57 #40 by alan 64 (alan)
Sound mate sure when i am doing it i will give u a shout have u seen a guys add on denedeal said he has jap koi for 10euro a piece sturgeon ireland or something

More
11 Jul 2016 22:42 #41 by robert (robert carter)
Hi alan , the ad is a guy in clonmel , seems to be into the sturgeon , i would have douts about the koi being jap for that price

More
16 Jul 2016 20:26 - 16 Jul 2016 23:38 #42 by ger310 (Ger .)
Another quick update.............I got to finish painting/sealing the inside of the pond and i'm really happy with the finish........it got 2 coats of clear G4 sealer and 1 coat of black G4 and it's now ready for water :)
What I did notice for anyone buying G4 in the future,you will get a good bit more area covered with the Clear G4 than you would from the Black one...........giving it 2 coats of the Clear one I still have at least one third of a 5kg tin left,but I just about made it doing one coat with a 2.5kg tin of the Black,so keep that in mind

Here's a couple of photo's as it is now:

Ger

Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 23:38 by ger310 (Ger .).

More
16 Jul 2016 20:42 #43 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , sounds as though you have done a great job . Cant open the pictures , any chance of just post on the forum , as i am dieing to see them . Thanks Robert

More
16 Jul 2016 20:54 - 16 Jul 2016 23:31 #44 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger , sounds as though you have done a great job . Cant open the pictures , any chance of just post on the forum , as i am dieing to see them . Thanks Robert

Cheers Robert,i'm very happy with everything so far..............and I've sent JohnH a PM regarding inserting the pics ok so hopefully they'll be up soon enough.

Ger

Edit:
Done now - sorry for the delay

Edit: thanks John

Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 23:31 by ger310 (Ger .).

More
17 Jul 2016 01:02 #45 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , thats a very impressive job looks brilliant , when are you hoping to get some water in and filters running ?

More
17 Jul 2016 12:01 #46 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger , thats a very impressive job looks brilliant , when are you hoping to get some water in and filters running ?

Cheers.............well they say 72 hours after painting G4 on it can be cleaned down and filled so that would mean tomorrow afternoon............i'm off Tuesday aswell so I might leave it till then though.....we will see.

Ger

More
18 Jul 2016 20:33 #47 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well I've added a fair few stones to the base and positioned the 4 LED lights were I want them,and then half filled it with water..........I still have a bit of fiddling around to do with the pump,inlets,outlets etc. but that's tomorrows mission to get sorted...............I'm getting a bit excited now as i'm so close to adding the most important part of the pond.....The FISH!! :)

anyway here's a short and crap video :

Ger

More
22 Jul 2016 23:13 #48 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well on Tuesday I added 4 Gold fish but within a few hours that 4 became 2.......by the next morning that 2 became 1.......and from this morning sometime that one became 0..............now I added them to check that all was ok in the pond and if the 12" wide plastic protectors would work,but obviously they haven't ha.............anyway apart from the missing 4 fish i'm still happy with how things are panning out and even though I was hoping to avoid it a full net cover has being ordered.

Ger

More
22 Jul 2016 23:34 #49 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic New 3000L pond build
Oops - still, you're doing you bit to keep the North Dublin herons alive and well...you could look at it that way.

:evil:

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Jul 2016 07:03 #50 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , i did have my douts about the heron protection you put on the pond , i have a bit to do in the garage this morning i will then post some pictures ot the covers i made up to protect my pond , very simple and cheap to make up

More
23 Jul 2016 08:54 #51 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger . enclosed pictures of my pond cover , made from 2x1 treated timber with a plastic net cover , these allow light into the pond and also you can feed the fish. we only take them off when someone is sitting in the garden . even after putting these on two herons were sittng on the roof of the house for 2 weeks waitng for a chance . my cover are 4 years old now so have worn well , also very light for lifting off and on

More
24 Jul 2016 14:30 #52 by ger310 (Ger .)

Oops - still, you're doing you bit to keep the North Dublin herons alive and well...you could look at it that way.

:evil:

John

Ah sure we all have to eat John!! :whistle:

More
24 Jul 2016 14:37 #53 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger . enclosed pictures of my pond cover , made from 2x1 treated timber with a plastic net cover , these allow light into the pond and also you can feed the fish. we only take them off when someone is sitting in the garden . even after putting these on two herons were sittng on the roof of the house for 2 weeks waitng for a chance . my cover are 4 years old now so have worn well , also very light for lifting off and on

Thanks for the photos Robert..........to be honest I haven't had time to think about it too much.........when I ordered the net Friday I thought maybe putting some kind of hooks around the inside of the pond and pin it on them but after seeing your photos I might look at going a different route with it........cheers

Ger

More
24 Jul 2016 20:05 #54 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Great job Ger! Will look brilliant with those lights in night.

Check with Kev for fish, he have brilliant looking cold water fish amazing colors, cant remember the name but would be suited for pond.

Tom

More
24 Jul 2016 20:37 #55 by ger310 (Ger .)

Great job Ger! Will look brilliant with those lights in night.

Check with Kev for fish, he have brilliant looking cold water fish amazing colors, cant remember the name but would be suited for pond.

Tom

Where's this?

More
24 Jul 2016 20:54 - 24 Jul 2016 20:59 #56 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Kev here from forum, nickname Homer

I took this photo (not best shot) when visited him.
File Attachment:

They sparkle and change color when mating, he have lot of fry out his garden
Last edit: 24 Jul 2016 20:59 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

More
24 Jul 2016 21:16 #57 by ger310 (Ger .)

File Attachment:

Ahhhh ok..........I misread your other post were I thought you said 'we' instead of 'he' and thought a few people had a shop going somewhere I did not know about!!! gas how 1 letter can change a sentence completely!! cheers

Ger

More
25 Jul 2016 07:26 - 25 Jul 2016 07:27 #58 by robert (robert carter)
What are they, are they shinners?
Last edit: 25 Jul 2016 07:27 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

More
25 Jul 2016 10:20 #59 by alan 64 (alan)
Yea kev breeds them so he should have lots of them soon for sale i reckon unless hes keeping them all ha there beautiful shiners best ive seen

More
25 Jul 2016 11:18 #60 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

File Attachment:

Ahhhh ok..........I misread your other post were I thought you said 'we' instead of 'he' and thought a few people had a shop going somewhere I did not know about!!! gas how 1 letter can change a sentence completely!! cheers

Ger

Haha no worries

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds