Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New 3000L pond build

More
29 Jul 2016 10:51 #61 by robert (robert carter)
hi Ger ,am going to clear out the goldfish from my pond ,looking for a good home for them ,don't want anything for them ,just wondered if they were any interest to you , I will net them and put a few pictures up latter today

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2016 12:12 #62 by robert (robert carter)
hi ger , this is the only picture I could get without stressing everything out in the pond ,there are about 6 big fish like this and about 6 smaller ones . in hindsight seeing that they are such nice fish I would be looking for 10 each for the bigger ones small go free if brought as a job lot
Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2016 22:19 #63 by nomad (pat murphy)
Robert no bad but hindsight IS a wonderful thing,personally I would honour your first post and offer to Ger for them going to a good home for free especially as he has,nt been logged in to respond to reply since your offer ...

More
29 Jul 2016 22:30 - 29 Jul 2016 22:32 #64 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , am certainly not going to fall out with anyone , so if he contacts me i am sure a deal can be done , would certainly prefer then to go to a good home . What happened was the first post went up before i netted and photoed some of them , i then realised what great fish they are
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 22:32 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

More
29 Jul 2016 22:46 #65 by nomad (pat murphy)
Theres no fall out with anyone Robert especially in my eyes but I think QUOTE.... i am sure a deal can be done UNQUOTE ........belongs back in hindsight because there was no monetary value requested but a truly generous offer//

More
29 Jul 2016 22:53 #66 by robert (robert carter)
Lets see if Ger makes contact and if he is interested in them.

More
30 Jul 2016 00:03 #67 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic New 3000L pond build

Lets see if Ger makes contact and if he is interested in them.

Cheers Robert but i'm kind of sorted.........apart from a Sturgeon (who will also be a baby) I am only stocking small fish to start with and watch them grow over a year or so.........thanks for the offer.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
30 Jul 2016 09:59 #68 by robert (robert carter)
Thats ok Ger , i think Alan has a friend who might be interested so i have offered them to him free as per my first offer to you, just dont want any bad feeling . Did you get the heron protection sorted out . Yesterday morning i had two herons sitting on the roof of the house behind me watching my pond

More
30 Jul 2016 23:40 #69 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , Alan is taking the goldfish , just wanted to say that i hope i didnt upset anyone over the free/ not free issue . He is of coarse getting them for free and i am glad they are going to a good home and a caring fishkeeper . How are things going on your pond? Trust all is settled down and that you have stopped feeding the herons . Robert

More
31 Jul 2016 17:11 #70 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well I put on a net today nice and tight.........at one end I have it just sitting on a few hooks so it can be lifted off easily for maintenance,adding fish etc. ...............i'll pick up just a few Goldfish tomorrow and leave them in for a few days before adding anything pricey just to make sure the net is working ok.

Anyway heres a quick and shaky video of the net as it is now:

More
31 Jul 2016 17:14 #71 by robert (robert carter)
Looks good , should do the trick ok .

More
02 Aug 2016 13:27 #72 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Looks super.....I normally mix power tools, hammers and ponds together with a nice cool beer too!! Horribly relaxing!!!

More
04 Aug 2016 23:13 #73 by ger310 (Ger .)

Looks super.....I normally mix power tools, hammers and ponds together with a nice cool beer too!! Horribly relaxing!!!

Cheers..............yeh it's the perfect combination I must say :)......that bottle of beer was sitting in my fridge for maybe 2 weeks without being touched which I reckon is some kind of record for me...........hmmm actually I reckon my all time record has just being obliterated!!! two weeks? shame on me!!

Ger

More
07 Aug 2016 16:41 #74 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Beer well diserved after your hard work :cool:

More
07 Aug 2016 17:52 #75 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger was just looking at upgradeing my koi pond filter was looking at presserised filters instead of the old gravity ones and experience of these . Thanks Robert

More
08 Aug 2016 22:02 #76 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger was just looking at upgradeing my koi pond filter was looking at presserised filters instead of the old gravity ones and experience of these . Thanks Robert

I see John moved replies to this so no point commenting here Robert

More
08 Aug 2016 22:30 #77 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well just a quick update..........since putting on the net the 11 Goldfish I put in the next day are all still there so today I added another 5 Goldfish and a really nice and very healthy looking Long nose Sterlet (not sure if that's the correct name so I'm getting conflicting Latin names online.....i'll investigate proper tomorrow)..................... Adrian (arabu73) down in Petstop in Airside has being really looking after me so cheers for that and i'll be down again real soon.

I'll let all the fish settle for a while and i'll then do another video,cheers all

Ger

More
08 Aug 2016 22:43 #78 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger what vararity of sturgeon did you get ,diamond back ,albino ,or what . Glad to here you have stopped feeding the herons and that all is settling down well .

More
08 Aug 2016 22:57 #79 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger what vararity of sturgeon did you get ,diamond back ,albino ,or what . Glad to here you have stopped feeding the herons and that all is settling down well .

I'm not too sure......it was advertised as a Long nosed Sterlet but google is telling me that that might not be the case........google can often be wrong so i'll find out proper tomorrow (too late now so I couldn't be arsed!!)...............Adrian was holding a Diamond back for me but I told him to sell it if someone wanted it as I was having Heron problems and in only a couple of days someone else bought it.......he was trying to get me another one but no luck so far!!

Ger

More
22 Aug 2016 16:46 #80 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well my pump jacked it in last thursday and already just 4 days later the water is green.......I really did not expect it to go this way so quickly and it just goes to show how much work the pump/filter/UV is doing...............i'm not overly concerned at the moment and the new pump was ordered online on Saturday so hopefully I will have it tomorrow or Wednesday and i'll be back to well oxygenated and clear water then.

Ger

More
22 Aug 2016 16:50 #81 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Depending on what part of the world you are in I have a backup pump, bout 2000lph should you find yer balls to the wall mate, when you get your new pump maybe add a dose of bacteria to get things along again

More
22 Aug 2016 18:14 #82 by ger310 (Ger .)

Depending on what part of the world you are in I have a backup pump, bout 2000lph should you find yer balls to the wall mate, when you get your new pump maybe add a dose of bacteria to get things along again

Appreciate the offer mate but i'm all good......thanks again

Ger

More
22 Aug 2016 20:42 #83 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Ger , how old was the pump that packed in, and what make , was it not under warrenty

More
23 Aug 2016 22:43 #84 by ger310 (Ger .)

Hi Ger , how old was the pump that packed in, and what make , was it not under warrenty

Nah I've had it a few years now.......I used it for water changes before I got the pond so probably owes me nothing but i'm still a bit surprised it stopped working as it definitely wasn't overworked in them years but that's the way it goes sometimes I suppose!!

Ger

More
05 Sep 2016 12:16 #85 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well after a delay in getting my new pump due to a mix up with my address I have it running since Saturday............I can already see a major improvement in the clarity of the water so hopefully after a few more days it will be completely clear again.

there's about 25 mixed Goldfish and a Sterlet in there now.........when I add about another 25 fish i'll make a bit of a video just to kind of finish the post off.

Ger

More
05 Sep 2016 15:11 #86 by robert (robert carter)
Sounds like all the hard work has paid off . Just watch out for the herons there seems to be loads of them around this year

More
08 Sep 2016 09:39 #87 by FR85 (Gavin O'Sullivan)
Fling up a few pics when you get a chance!

More
10 Sep 2016 00:00 #88 by ger310 (Ger .)

Sounds like all the hard work has paid off . Just watch out for the herons there seems to be loads of them around this year

Cheers i'm well pleased with everything now..................the net seems to be doing the job regarding the Herons so hopefully that doesn't change anytime soon!!

Ger

More
10 Sep 2016 00:08 #89 by ger310 (Ger .)

Fling up a few pics when you get a chance!

Not sure about pics but a video is not far off............All looking good in the pond so it's time to spend a bit of time on a tropical tank that has being neglected a small bit lately.

Ger

More
10 Sep 2016 00:11 #90 by robert (robert carter)
Looking forward to the pictures , brought an outside wi fi camera today plan is to set it up on the pond like a web cam and put access to forum members , when i get back from hols

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds