Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Airstone

More
02 Apr 2018 21:36 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Hi i need to secure a 5 inch airstone to the bottom of my 470 litre coldwater tank . If i bury it in the gravel the large orandas just dig it up . I was wondering about using a small amout of Tec7 as it cures chemicly and will cure under water , but my question is will it be safe to use while its curing in the tank . Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2018 22:29 #2 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Replied by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin) on topic Airstone
Don't quote me on this but when I was reading online, I read that tec 7 cures faster under water because it uses the moisture to cure, it can be used underwater as far as I am aware

More
03 Apr 2018 09:33 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Airstone
Hi alan , yes i was aware of the way tec 7 cures , but my concern is will it be harmful to my fish while it cures in that will it leech anything bad into the water . Thanks Robert

More
03 Apr 2018 09:58 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Airstone
I have never used TEC7 but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they have a second 'Aquarium-friendly' product. If memory serves me right this alternative one actually has a fish logo on the canister.
Maybe a phone call to them might clear up the question?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Apr 2018 10:00 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks John i will give them a call. Thanks Robert

More
03 Apr 2018 10:23 - 03 Apr 2018 10:27 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Airstone

Thanks John i will give them a call. Thanks Robert

Here's the link to the thread I was looking for:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/33-produc...135871-tech-7#184391

From your comment at the bottom maybe you have your answer already, Robert?

John

Edit:
It'd JustinK's comment (maybe half way down the thread) which mentions the 'Aqua-Friendly' logo on the fish safe version.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 10:27 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
03 Apr 2018 13:29 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Airstone
If you stick it down, how will you remove it when it wears out or gets blocked?
Can you just stick it to the bottom with some sucky pad used for pipe work?
If you use good quality ones they won’t keep popping off, like the Chinese ones do.

More
03 Apr 2018 21:40 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Hi , i did speak to a guy from tec 7 today , he saidas far as he knows itis fish safe , but wont grantee it . He said they do not make a product that is confirmed as fish safe. But he did say for the small amount i would need and the large water quantity he couldnt see a problem . The airstone i want to use is a good quality non clog unit so should be ok for a long time , and could if needed be removed using a sharp blade . So i think i will try in on saturaday my next water change day . Thanks

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds