Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Tanganyikan Tank set up

More
10 Mar 2014 20:29 #31 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)

Hey Santi

What a coincidence! Remember we were talking today about which catfish I had? well I am almost sure is that the petricola is the catfish I have, just that mine is completely black and white (with a bit of dark grey).

so I think he will suit your tank so if you want it when I will shut down my tank he is yours! I will be happy to see him go to a good home

PS: The tank looks fantastic! Fish look very happy as well!

Hey Alex :

Very nice talking to you today and thanks, I will take your catfish just let me know when you shut down your tank and will be happy to give it a new home :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2014 06:20 #32 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Quick update:

Water is clearing but very very slowly and considering getting a UV steriliser due to some light hitting the tank in the morning, only place in apartment I had to position the tank so will have to see how it goes.

I had the Xenotilapias holding eggs but looks like they ate them as I see no fry nor holding :-( Now the Caudopuntctatus have been pretty busy and as you can see in video they have fry ! happy to see they are reproducing and if I am not mistaken it mean the water quality is good.

Cheers !

Santiago

More
04 May 2014 23:13 #33 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
New videos hope you like

Regards,

Santiago

More
05 May 2014 10:05 #34 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Tank looks very clear and fish are all in great condition. I know little about tanganyika fish, is the flow always that strong. Seems like a strong powerhead going on.
Is it optiwhite glass as it seems very clear.
Gavin

More
05 May 2014 14:35 #35 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)

Tank looks very clear and fish are all in great condition. I know little about tanganyika fish, is the flow always that strong. Seems like a strong powerhead going on.
Is it optiwhite glass as it seems very clear.
Gavin

Thanks Gavin :-) , return pump is a 3200 l/h and I added a 39W UV sterilizer and flow reduced so added a wave-maker to compensate, flow is ok!

Water is not as clear as I would like it to be but the UV makes a difference

Cheers

San

More
05 May 2014 15:50 #36 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Missed this thread.

Natural looking tank, fishes must love it. Nice rocks specially the ones with holes.

More
11 May 2014 18:23 #37 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Jus noticed the little fry in the shell, and they are more devoted than the Caudos which had two batches and none survived

Cheers !

Santiago

More
19 Jul 2014 19:53 #38 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
UPDATE :

Changed sand, upgraded pump from 2800 l/h to 3400 l/h , no need for wave maker now.

Experimenting with plants, put elodea but I find stems floating everyday, any advice n which plant would be best is welcome :-)

Happy with all changes, and enjoying tank and the darker sand bring the colours of fish better.

More
19 Jul 2014 23:47 #39 by alan 64 (alan)
tank is looking great realy nice, the plants look nice but i just prefer the rockwork in ur tank it kinda goes with the fish alot better just my taste when it comes to africans

More
20 Jul 2014 09:57 #40 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Hi Alan :

Thanks ! after I changed the sand, decided for a while to leave it without plants. I really liked it ... for now I am experimenting with the plants, kind of like it now juts need to find the right plant. Elodea is not ideal I think, stems are floating in tank from time to time.

How is yours going? saw you video updates in youtube and it all looks great, hope your sulphur head is doing better.

Cheers !

Santiago

More
21 Jul 2014 14:30 #41 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Big job you had there! The tank looks lovely Santi. The other plant, marsilea I think it is looks very beautiful there.
A pity the other goes floating because looks very nice too...does it root eventually?

What kind of plants are you looking for?

More
21 Jul 2014 14:56 #42 by ger310 (Ger .)
Looks great mate :)......I know feck all about plants so unfortunately i'm no help to yeh there.

The fish look really really good :)

Have your Leleupi settled a bit? they look fairly calm in the video

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
21 Jul 2014 16:19 #43 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)

What kind of plants are you looking for?

Not sure really. I like the elodea, but it doesn't seem to root, John from seahorse warned me about this but decided to test it anyways :-P

Any suggestions on background that would give the same density as elodea ?

Gracias

Santi

More
21 Jul 2014 16:23 #44 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Hi Ger :

Thanks!

Leulepi are fine for now and the biggest one, which I presume is a male, started chasing the others away but nothing really serious.

The ones that went bananas are the Xenotilapi Flavpinnis, had 4 and now only 3 left, the big male killed one and now the other is running for his life ... tried to catch him but it is impossible without taking all rocks and not sure my lower back will take that pressure for now. I hope it is just seasonal and doesn't come to the worse.

I saw you sold your eels ... what happened ?

Cheers !

Santiago

More
22 Jul 2014 14:17 #45 by ger310 (Ger .)
Them Xenotilapi Flavpinnis are lovely looking,the colour on there fins in you tank is really nice i must say,and i hear yeh with taking out the rocks!!

It's not easy i have found to get a Tanganyikan set up looking so colourful and bright but you have managed it so fair play man :)

3-6 months is the kind of norm (sometimes even less) for me to keep a fish (with the one or two exceptions) so i got what i wanted from the Eel..........The larger of my Tropheus are starting to colour up now aswell so they will be moved on in the not so distant future......kind of have a couple of set ups in my head so we will see what happens........Mbuna's or Scalare's again hmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions!!!!

Anyway keep the updates and video's coming as i always enjoy looking at your tank :)

Ger

More
22 Jul 2014 17:34 #46 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Hi Ger :

I used to have fish for shorter times as well and learn a lot from different types and temperaments, so totally understand.

I am now very selective of fish I wanted and still looking for the one and only Black Calvus pectoral, have seen some of these in the past and they are really stunning fish.

Managed to net the xenotilapia that was being bullied and will take it to seahorse or if you are interested you can have it for free :-)

I used to have escalare's and being from Peru had some of the most beautiful ones straight from the Amazon, did not last that long unfortunately but had better life than where I got them .. not too god of lfs but got 90% of fish being wild caught

Post a video as soon as you decide, have seen your videos and you keep your tanks in super great condition

Regards,

Santiago

More
24 Jul 2014 14:06 #47 by ger310 (Ger .)
Cheers dude :)

I just google searched that Calvus your on about and it is magnificent looking so good luck with your search,it would be a great addition :)

Thanks for the offer of the Xenotilapia but i'm kind of winding this tank down instead of adding more but much appreciated :)

If i'm going for a Scalare set up next they will be wild caught hopefully..........i'll have to have a proper think on whether for the money they will cost me would it be worth the risk!! It would be a brazilian and a Peruvian Scalare i'll be after.......'Manacapuru' or 'Rio Nanay',but we'll see!!

Anyway thanks again and if i see that Calvus anywhere i'll get straight onto you!!

Ger

More
29 Sep 2014 19:18 #48 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
made some changes and here is a quick video update !

Cheers !

Santiago

More
08 Feb 2015 10:43 #49 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Changed rocks and added different type of plant which I hope grows, I also upgraded to LED lights that have dimming set up and has 4 channels to adjust as well as 24 hour settings so I get sunrise and sunset, very nice and not expensive.

Cheers !

More
08 Feb 2015 12:11 #50 by Homer (Kevin)
Only way to go Santi, I swear by OA for instant start, amazing stuff!!! Just leave it for a month, then do your normal water changes and filter maintenance.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
08 Feb 2015 12:18 #51 by alan 64 (alan)
Looks great man where did u get the leds

More
08 Feb 2015 12:46 #52 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)

Looks great man where did u get the leds

Got them on ebay : Model : LT SL-A008-90 Professional LED Marine Aquarium Light
A lot cheaper and very easy set up and also to control, changed the initial set up which it is more for a marine tank.

More
08 Feb 2015 14:45 #53 by alan 64 (alan)
Cool I might look into that

More
28 Feb 2015 19:08 #54 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Quick pic of the plant I got from Lydia, just few stems and now it is growing nicely, I really like the plant and my wife and daughter really like the look of the tank

Pic of Plant

More
01 Mar 2015 18:06 #55 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Great tank love tangs got me into the hobby originally.cheered me up after Spurs losing the final a few miniatures ago :(

More
04 Aug 2015 19:01 #56 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Hi there

Quick update on my tank, have fronts growing as well as my calvus, really nice fish :-)

Cheers

Santiago

More
04 Aug 2015 19:32 #57 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Absolute stunning Santiago

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
04 Aug 2015 21:21 #58 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Wow some amazing colours in there

More
05 Aug 2015 06:36 #59 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Wow some amazing colours in there

More
05 Aug 2015 10:10 #60 by paulv (paul vickers)
Show winning tank, so relaxing to watch. Well done.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds