Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Common Questions

More
07 Jan 2008 20:35 #31 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re:Common Questions
Now one can see why the forum nearly had nuclear melt down a little while ago, when its so easy to have road rage behind a PC:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2008 21:02 - 07 Jan 2008 21:06 #32 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Common Questions
No need for an argument here.

Let just have a quick summary what is contained in both drugs.
Flubenol is the trade name for Flubendazole. Flubendazole is great against skin and gill flukes. No use against tapeworms and the like in fish. It does work against tapeworms in cows though since they regurgitate food several times before it is finally digested.This means flubendazole stays in contact with the parasite for longer than in the short trip through a fish's digestive tract. You could simulate the relative long contact time in monogasters with several doses of flubenol but even at that you will find that it does not completely eradicate all worms.

I just had a read through the wormer plus stuff on the net and last month PFK and have not come up with an idea why it should be successful in the treatment of protozoa. This would mean you could treat flagelattes such as hexamita with wormer plus. Personally I doubt it but if somebody has an idea of how it works, I'll be more than willing to listen. I originally somehow had it in my head that wormer plus contained the next drug I want to discuss. Ah well, it doesn't

To treat internal worms I would suggest to use something like levamisol and more to the point levimasol hydrochloride since this does not need to be in contact with the worms for as long as flubendazole. It kills the worms in a different way than flubendazole. Not going into details here of how either drugs kills worms or else I'll be accused of going over the top again. The dosage for levamisol is 3g/100 ml for three days. Unlike flubenol which is almost impossible to overdose you will have to closely keep to the recommended dosage with levamisol
Last edit: 07 Jan 2008 21:06 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus).
  • russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2008 22:01 #33 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Common Questions
Subject closed
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2008 23:59 #34 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
do we all have to agree with you? It's a forum Russell. If you have a different opinion, let's hear it.
More
08 Jan 2008 00:58 #35 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
Flubenol15 disrupts certain receptors in invertebrates which includes ALL parasitic worms and flukes etc. preventing the invertebrate from being able to absorb certain nutrients, thereby starving it to death and allowing it to pass out of the host intact but emaciated.

FLUBENOL 15 instructions for use

FOR FISH USE ONLY

KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN

will kill flukes, tapeworms and other helminths.

This is a once treatment, although repeating on a monthly basis or whenever more plants or any fish are added to the tank would be beneficial. Do not underdose, using the powder at up to 10 times the recommended minimum amount will cause no damage to fish, filters or plants.

Mix powder with some water and pour contents into your tank, no harm will come to your fish if they swim into the mixture, if possible do not water change for 24 hours after use.

WARNING, this powder will kill snails, if there is a large population of snails in your tank, toxic conditions may be triggered by the pollution caused by the death of the snails.

This powder can be mixed with any other medications that are being used, and will prove beneficial particularly during the quarantining of your fish, the powder is U/V stable, and it is not necessary to shut down U/V sterilisation during it’s application.

This veterinary medicine is marketed in accordance with the Small Animal Exemption Scheme.
  • russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 11:06 #36 by russell (russell)
I always thought the forum was for the benefit of members seeking advice and posting there own personal observations & experiences. NOT for bickering betweem Mods??.You have your opinions and I have mine. again I refuse to be drawn, and will respond to questions directed to ME by members seeking advice from My own experiences irrespective of wether you may think it wrong. that will be YOUR opinion.I hope you will respect the opinion of all forum members.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 12:53 #37 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
@Russell,
you know that I respect your opinion but don't neccessarily agree with it. But I am also entitled to my own opinion. For God's sake, we agree in most things when it comes to fishkeeping and neither of us has the desire to have a go at each other. Let the forum members make up their own mind. They all have the capacity to do it. Some issues are contentious and neither of us owns the absolute truth about everything in fish keeping. We both have been at this for more years than either of us cares to remember ;)

@Damian,
only wish it would do what it says on the tin...
Theoretically it will kill tapeworms. It does so in cows, horses, etc. However, flubendazole remain in the digestive tract of these animals for longer and so has a longer time to be in contact with the parasites. This is especially true for cows and horses. Since they feed on plant matter their digestive tracts are longer in relative terms in proportion to body size never mind actual size than the fish's since they mainly feed on meat(shrimp, mosquito larvae, etc)which is easier to digest, i.e. does not require a long intestine and several stomachs (like cows) to extract be broken down.
It is not a once off treatment. It does not kill the worms eggs. They need about 5-7 days to hatch and that would be the time to kill them and completely eradicate the worms and not after 3 weeks as suggested by the manufacturer. Evidently they want to make money and of course they will suggest to use it every three weeks. That will make ceratin that the eggs hatch and the newly hatched worms will get the chance to lay new eggs and so keep the cycle going.
  • russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 13:40 #38 by russell (russell)
Should anyone requiure help please feel free to send me a P.M, This way there will be no problems. all my advice is based on PERSONAL experience of over 50 YearsRegards
Russ.
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds