Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Project....

More
05 Sep 2008 00:56 #31 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
try adding a little crushed garlic to their food, generally encourages them to eat, hope all continues to go well for you
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2008 18:50 #32 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
It has been nearly a week and no signs of eating. They changed colour from their brown to black and I am worried at this stage. I added a potted plant just in case they have to adapt to a bare environment.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Sep 2008 08:32 #33 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:New Project....
Hi Niko

It looks like your Discus are stressed out. When they turn Dark it's an indication that something is not right. It's not unusaual for them not to eat for a few days, but after a week I would be concerned. especialy they dont take bloodworm.
Give me a breakdown on everything & I may be able to help.

Ph - Gh - Kh - Temp - Nitrate/ nitrite, Number & size of fish -approx age - tank size - filtration set up - Turnover. lighting and if B/B planted and any other occupants. a long list but any one could be the cause

More
13 Sep 2008 16:39 #34 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Unfortunately, the move was too much for them. They all died. They turned quite dark in colour and this is the signed that they were not in good health. The tank was bare, with a large sponge filter. Water change was done every three days. There was only one potted plant and three other ramirezi. Temperature was set to 30 degrees and it was a 200 litre tank. PH was 7, similar to the one they were in the original tank. As for GH it was around 14 (same as old tank...same source of water). No other information is available.

The rest of the Discus are doing fine, and I would think twice at this stage of moving any of the larger ones.

More
08 Nov 2008 21:28 - 08 Nov 2008 21:30 #35 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
After all this hassle to maintain a healthy tank, I had to give them away due to expenses which I had no control over them. Due to the rise of utility bills, had to sell them for good and close the lid on this tank...it is the second in a week and I think I am heading to the end of the hobby.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2008 21:30 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar).

More
08 Nov 2008 21:43 - 08 Nov 2008 21:52 #36 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Sorry to hear that Nikko,perhaps you will keep the hobby up in some shape or form still,if only at a smaller scale so be it. It would be a shame to end the hobby,esp after you earlier posts that showed you had and no doubt still have passion for the project.

On a separate note,what kind of expense are we looking at on a monthly basis for running our tanks,Ive often wondered myself particulary since the costs of ESB has rocketed in recent times.
Gavin
Last edit: 08 Nov 2008 21:52 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
08 Nov 2008 21:50 #37 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Thanks mate...I might keep a betta or two but for sure no heaters or pumps...

More
08 Nov 2008 21:54 #38 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I trust your not in Ireland, Malta I seem to remember ? Yes Ive been tempted to keep a betta in recent weeks but will have difficulty getting another into the house with herself already thinking Im obsessed with fish! lol

Gavin

More
08 Nov 2008 21:58 #39 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
Right Gavin I am from Malta...my betta 'collection' is around 200 with 16 males in a separate tank. My wife is against me in ending the hobby but utility bills have risen to around 150% which amounts to nearly 150 - 200 Euros a month...thanks to the mismanagement of governments.

More
11 Nov 2008 09:08 #40 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
It wont let me view the video link, how are they all settling in now?

More
11 Nov 2008 09:23 #41 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)
I had to sell them due to costs...

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds