Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Galaxy Rasboras

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 10:02 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
Galaxy Rasboras was created by 2poc (2poc)
Anybody else keeping them?

Picked up some at the weekend & they seem to be spawning already.
The eggs havent got a hope in a tank full of other rasboras & tetras...

Lovely looking little fish

www.wildwoods.co.uk/fishhouse/images/mic...orasp.galaxycopy.jpg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2007 10:10 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
Hello;
I've had five since last November but sadly they're not ever shown any interest in one another in that sort of way...but I remain ever hopeful.

I agree with you, they're lovely little fish. From what I've heard they themselves are avid egg-eaters as well and the fry are especially slow to grow too.
John :roll:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 10:17 #3 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras

Hello;
I've had five since last November but sadly they're not ever shown any interest in one another in that sort of way...

I must have gotten a frisky batch ;)

I only read after buying them that they have been totally overfished in the wild since being discovered last year.. Shame..

I like the fact that they are truly tiny though, they compliment my pygmy corys nicely.

They remind me of tiny artic char:

www.jeffcurrier.com/jeffartwork/arctic_char.jpg

More
10 Apr 2007 10:28 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I have two, all that survived from a batch of ten I got about 4 months ago. I knew they were very rough when buying them, but I went ahead anyway. I think Platy252 has bred them. Lovely little fish.

Daragh

More
12 Apr 2007 09:04 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I was breeding them. Unfortunatlly i lost all the young recently.
After 4 months they were still only dots. Not even big enough to take brine shrimp.
I recon there was something wrong with the young i had, but i dont know what size they should be after 4 months.

If you manage to save some of the eggs and dont want to raise them i will take the eggs off you.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2007 09:13 #6 by 2poc (2poc)

I was breeding them. Unfortunatlly i lost all the young recently.
After 4 months they were still only dots. Not even big enough to take brine shrimp.
I recon there was something wrong with the young i had, but i dont know what size they should be after 4 months.

If you manage to save some of the eggs and dont want to raise them i will take the eggs off you.

That's a pity you lost them...
The eggs won't stand a chance I'm afraid...
They are sharing a 50 ltr tank with lots of other small fish.
Don't know if they actually spawned yet, they were hanging around a depression in a piece of mopani wood.
I have 3 of them, two paired up with one another the day after introducing them & were dancing around each other & chasing off the third.
The pair seem to stay around the same depression in the mopani wood, I'll take a look later to see if they are gaurding eggs

cheers,
Patrick

More
12 Apr 2007 16:27 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I found the male would find a spawning spot. Wood with java moss attached. He would then drive a female into the spawning spot.
I dont know if the eggs were attached to the wood or the moss.
In the lfs when i got mine it looked like a male was cleaning some wood.
He could have been eating something off the wood, i just dont know.
Anyway, i found the fry with egg sacs attached on the side pain of glass near the bottom. These were removed and placed in a tub.
They were fed micro worms and paramecium (infusoria).
They seldom came to the surface, mostly spent their time at the bottom or mid water.
I have read other reports of the fry staying at the surface.
Mine fed well but never grew.
I think i will have to give it a rethink next time around.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Apr 2007 02:01 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
@2poc
no rasbora or barb species guard their eggs. Most of them are scatter spawners but some of them attach their eggs to the underside of plants, the harlequin rasbora comes to mind. Scatter spawners have a Wham-bang-thank-you-mam sort of reproductive strategy, plenty of eggs and some should make it to adulthood.

@platy 252
small fish like the galaxy rasbora should be fully grown by 4 month. I would imagine that their life span is pretty short. In general it can be said, the smaller the fish the shorter its life span.
I have no idea why your fry didn't grow assuming they ate well and all water parameters were fine.

More
13 Apr 2007 16:25 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have only come across fry not growing once before and that was with some flag cichlids. 3 out of 4 would not grow and after 2 month they started to die off.
The rasbora were all head and no width or depth to the body, just a thin line.
The guys in Bolton who first reported breeding them found the eggs attached to some java moss. This could have been a once off.
With a bit more time and when more people breed them there will be more info available.

More
16 Apr 2007 03:01 #10 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
don't buy em from shops still stocking them as they are almost gone in the wild now.They ones in shops are most deffo wild caught.Shame really lovely little fish.

dont make me come over there.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 03:02 #11 by 2poc (2poc)

don't buy em from shops still stocking them as they are almost gone in the wild now.They ones in shops are most deffo wild caught.Shame really lovely little fish.

Yeah - real shame.
I wouldn't have bought them had I known that..
I actually read it in PFK the very next day after buying them.

More
06 May 2007 16:28 #12 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Has anybody had any further progress with spawning? Did you guys know that this fish has been described now as Celestichthys margaritatus. It's also been given a horrible common name to boot, well by horrible I mean potentially confusing, the Celestial Pearl Danio. That's gonna cause problems.

Here's the link to the pdf of the taxonomy paper, it also has breeding information in it.

rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/55/55rbz131-140.pdf

It'll take a little while to download for some as it's 4.6 mb of pdf.

I was browsing petshoponline.ie & noticed they had some in stock for 7.99. I'm so tempted to order half a dozen as an investment but I would much much rather have some tank reared specimens given their habitat decimation. I notice PFK are also advising people not to buy wild ones now. I don't want temptation & itchy feet to get the better of my morals. :?

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

More
07 May 2007 02:21 #13 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
Glen in Fin's n things in Midleton has a batch of them growing on at the moment. Im not sure if they're tank bred, but its worth a call as I don't even think they're that expensive, maybe €5? cant remember.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

More
07 May 2007 04:18 #14 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
i was down with petshoponline and saw them a few weeks back. at the time they were very very small

More
07 May 2007 10:08 #15 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)

Glen in Fin's n things in Midleton has a batch of them growing on at the moment. Im not sure if they're tank bred, but its worth a call as I don't even think they're that expensive, maybe €5? cant remember.

I used to use that store quite a lot, I loved it, but I gave up on it nearly a year ago as I discovered dyed corydoras in there tanks. That black listed the store for me. Shame too. I might be tempted to go back if they're doing the galaxy's but if they're still selling dyed fish then I'll never go back.

More
07 May 2007 10:10 #16 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Replied by richardbunn (Richard Bunn) on topic Re: fish

i was down with petshoponline and saw them a few weeks back. at the time they were very very small

Think I'll give them a miss if they're that small, especially as they'll have to be posted or couriered.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 01:39 #17 by 2poc (2poc)
Not sure whether mine spawned, something in the tank spawned recently as I saw eggs attached to the heater (that weren't snail eggs for a change) but as suspected with the other busy little fish in the tank the eggs don't have a chance.

Have to say I think the idea of setting up a breeding tank for them is both admirable & a good investment.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 02:56 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
Hi Richard,
ther was one batch of dyed corydoras in Fins and things. Only ever saw them once and I don't think Glen ordered them on purpose. When I was working in retail we used to get them in as a substitute to a fish that was actually ordered. The guy who owned the shop didn't like it either and changed suppliers.

Holger

More
08 May 2007 04:05 #19 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
As far as I know you're correct there Holger.Glen said those Cory's were sent as a substitute for something else that was ordered, he was pretty disgusted about it.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

More
08 May 2007 08:14 #20 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
if someone had a good breeding tank , i think breeding them would make someone a few quid..
i would be interested

More
08 May 2007 08:41 #21 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)

As far as I know you're correct there Holger.Glen said those Cory's were sent as a substitute for something else that was ordered, he was pretty disgusted about it.

Thanks guys, I didn't like abandoning the shop like that, I guess I should've talked to him about it rather than jumping to conclusions. I didn't know they could be sent int as a substitute, how underhanded the suppliers can be sometimes.

I'm down in Cork on the 23rd so I'll be taking a look. This is after me just switching the filter off in my spare tank as I wasn't counting on using it for a while. Dammit, I'll have to clean it down now & cycle it again with loads of crap from my existing filters to get ready for quarantine. Oh the joys.

• koinonia1 (koinonia1)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 May 2007 05:43 #22 by koinonia1 (koinonia1)
Replied by koinonia1 (koinonia1) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
Is anyone in Dublin breeding these fish...I'd love to get some once my tank has cycled but dont want to buy from an lfs.

More
19 May 2007 09:44 #23 by koinonia (koinonia)
I spoke to Glen today..these fish were imported :cry: ..I was going to buy some but I'm not sure at this stage...they're in the country so what the point in leaving them in the lfs.

More
19 May 2007 10:06 #24 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
point is that the lfs will then import them again as they sold.?

dont make me come over there.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2007 10:53 #25 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras

point is that the lfs will then import them again as they sold.?

Thats how it works?!!!

More
19 May 2007 11:07 #26 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Leave them in the lfs. If they dont sell they wont order them again.

More
19 May 2007 11:45 #27 by koinonia (koinonia)
good point and I'm inclined to agree with you.would have been a nice addition to my tank thought :!:

Is there anyone who breeds their own?

More
19 May 2007 12:11 #28 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
I spoke to Glen this morning & am going down for the Galaxy's on Wednesday.

I was gutted to hear that they're imported, but can we be really sure that they're not imported tank bred? Without asking that is.

I think on this occasion I'm going to get them, my reason is that I AM going to be breeding them, this way we can get a captive supply available in this part of the country eventually & not need to buy wild caught fish anymore. They are very slow growing to raise though.

I'm just about to set the tank up for them now as I keep a sponge from a biofoam filter in my living room tanks filter so it's always mature.

Richard

More
19 May 2007 12:18 #29 by koinonia (koinonia)
Richard if you get an answer to your question let me know.

I'm down in Tralee the bank holiday weekend and would love to see them if you have them by then!

More
19 May 2007 16:31 #30 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)

Richard if you get an answer to your question let me know.

I'm down in Tralee the bank holiday weekend and would love to see them if you have them by then!

No problem at all, you're more than welcome to view them if I get them. I'll let you know.

I have all the breeding information from the original taxonomic report.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds