Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Galaxy Rasboras

More
23 May 2007 15:17 #31 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Well I went down to Glen today to pick up the fish. Sadly though, they couldn't be sold. Glen wasn't there so I was having a good chat with his wife. She told me that they were fine up until the day before yesterday & suddenly they've picked up something & started dying.

She took me out the back to have a look at them & the sight would've brought tears to your eyes. She was very upset. There must've been about 12 bodies stuck to the filter plus a fair few more in the tank. She said that they weren't all of them as she had to clean the filter off yesterday too. There were no signs of external problems.

To have been raising these fish without problems for 2 months & then have something like this happen can be heart wrenching.

I got to notice a couple of them on their way out of life. They were trying to swim away but were spiraling around the tank.

We suspect an internal bacterial infection, we're pretty sure of that, if anyone has any suggestions then let me know & I'll get on to her. I think antibiotics might need to be the way to go in this case as it's so severe. Any ideas on what kind?

If they manage to make a recovery, I'm hoping to go back for them in a month.

Richard

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2007 15:57 #32 by koinonia (koinonia)
thats tragic....perhaps another reason for them to be left in the wild :!:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 May 2007 04:35 #33 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
The damage is probably irreversible. Once they start spiralling you are better off putting them out of their misary. You could try metrodizanol. 500mg per 100l water for three days. The stuff is cheap and is worth a shot. But probably clutching at straws here.

By the way, don't agree with the sentiment that it is a reason to leave them in the wild. I have said this before but no fish species has ever been made extinct by the aquarium trade. If anybody has an example to proof me wrong I'd gladly retract my statement and eat humble pie.
Chances are that their habitat will be destroyed by use as farmland or by human building activities. Take L46 as an example. No more exports of the fish because Brazil has introduced positive list. Basically the fish isn't on it, it can't be exported. This in general has nothing to do with availibilty of the fish in the wild. Their habitat (Rio Xingu) is being detroyed by a hydroelectric dam. Brazil in conjunction with China are planning to extract aluminium in the area. This requires huge quantities of electricty.
Never mind that heavy metals will get swamped into the water since they are a by-product in the aluminium production.
Brazil just wants to look like they are concerend about the environment whereas in reality they couldn't give a flying f***.
I think Glen's fish were tankbred to start off with anyway

More
24 May 2007 16:47 #34 by koinonia (koinonia)
glen had told me they were imported but as was said earlier tank bred imported or wild imported....we never found out

More
25 May 2007 02:20 #35 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Re: Galaxy Rasboras
Tankbred. I saw them the day they were unpacked from the box, tiny isn't the word, thats why he's spent 3 months growing them on a bit as far as I know.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

More
25 May 2007 10:31 #36 by koinonia (koinonia)
so a real loss...any word on the rest of them..would have loved some :(

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds