Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

planning to change set up fluval Osaka 155

More
12 Apr 2015 23:02 #1 by swai (Simon)
Hi all,

I'm Looking for some suggestions. I'm planning to change 1 of my tanks. Currently it holds cardinals, Congo tetra and some l129 Hypans. I never see the l129 so think it's a waste really. The cardinals and congos will be moving into the big tank once I get it set up.

I was thinking maybe shell dwellers but I read that they stay 5 inches above the substrate most of the time. The tank is 2 foot deep so most of the tank would look empty.

Any other suggestions on what I could change the set up to?

Tank is 60 X 46 X 60 155 liters. I've attached 2 pics, I would like to change the right tank. Other 2 tanks will be planted So no plants would be good.

Thanks!

Marino, Dublin 9
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2015 23:11 #2 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Zebra loach biotop all areas of water they cover add a pearl gourmai as well .just my two pence worth.

More
12 Apr 2015 23:41 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
You could put in a foot and a half of sand and then the shellies would occupy the top of the tank :woohoo:
What about some of the smaller cories? Corydoras pygmaeus and habrosus are supposed to spend a lot of time in midwater, especially if they have some cover, like a chunk of bogwood, near the surface (like in your photo). A shoal of something like them would look pretty cool. I definitely think some sort of species tank would be a good idea.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
13 Apr 2015 10:59 #4 by swai (Simon)
Yeah guys I'd like a species only tank. Corys would be cool, guessing I just want to see some action inside the tank!

if I done the smaller corys I wouldn't need to change the substrate or anything. I'd say the larger corys would prefer sand but not sure about the smaller corys.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
13 Apr 2015 11:00 #5 by swai (Simon)
I've never owned any loaches, will check them out now and see what type of tank set up suits.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
13 Apr 2015 14:31 - 13 Apr 2015 14:34 #6 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

What about a rocky setup like I did in my nano? You could have some dwellers or corys and a shoal of other fish in the upper-mid region
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Apr 2015 14:34 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
13 Apr 2015 15:17 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Yeah guys I'd like a species only tank. Corys would be cool, guessing I just want to see some action inside the tank!

if I done the smaller corys I wouldn't need to change the substrate or anything. I'd say the larger corys would prefer sand but not sure about the smaller corys.

Not sure how pygmies do with gravel but I know they spend far more time swimming in midwater than other cories do. They also suggest for a pygmaeus biotope you use no plants, only bogwood, rocks and maybe leaves and alder cones.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
13 Apr 2015 15:47 #8 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
No plants for pygmaeus is strange. Mine used to love having a rest on the anubias leaves :P

More
13 Apr 2015 15:55 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

No plants for pygmaeus is strange. Mine used to love having a rest on the anubias leaves :P

I think it's because they're specifically talking about biotopes. I think most Amazon fish live in waters where there's little or no vegetation and if a biotope were to be true to that then you'd just be talking sand, rocks and wood.

More
13 Apr 2015 18:10 #10 by swai (Simon)
No plants is a good thing as I have plants in all my tanks! I'm still debating whether to leave it be or could even go to the salty side!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
13 Apr 2015 19:43 #11 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Maybe a shoal of the smaller rainbow fish. Some real beauties

Eric

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds