Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new tank

More
31 May 2013 22:14 #1 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
well after 2 months i have upgraded my tank from a 120 liter to a 260 liter B)

I bought a juwel vision 260 today and i cant wait to get stuck in and get it up and running but i have found a problem already, the juwel filter box is missing its orignal pump and there is a Amara led-188 in its place, i have no idea how to get the 2 of them working together so if anyone has any advice please let me know but im going to use this as an excuse to buy an external filter

im going to head down to the lads in seahorse tomorrow and get some coral sand, also im going to run all the air pump tubes witle the tank is empty, it will be a while before i put water in but i will keep you all up to date but for now heres a pic of my son Jake giving his approval on the tank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2013 23:02 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Replied by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers) on topic new tank
Enjoy and of course keep us posted on progress

More
01 Jun 2013 10:18 #3 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Replied by ghart (Greg Hart) on topic new tank
Lovely bow front tank.
I see one fan has given it the tumbs up.
Keep us posted on the progress.

Greg

More
01 Jun 2013 11:54 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic new tank
In the interest of tidyness, why not run the air lines thru a pipe in the corner of the tank?
I have the standard filter etc from my 350 here ya can have.....

More
01 Jun 2013 12:06 #5 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Replied by dannyb (Daniel Byrne) on topic new tank
That's the plan I have a bit of half inch waven pipe I'm going to use and have spare suckers to hold it in place

Cheers for the filter il see ya next weekend

More
01 Jun 2013 14:02 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I dont know how advisable it is, but I know a fella that put a sheet of corrigated plastic under his substrate. He drilled a load of tiny holes in it and ran the diffusers under the corrigated plastic
It seemed to do a good enough job spreading the air bubbles through out the entire floor of the aquarium tho

More
01 Jun 2013 18:39 #7 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
That sounds interesting, I have my lines run now, I have 2 air stones at both ends and a 40cm air curtin to put in the center at the back, i took a trip to seahorse this morning and got 15kg of coral sand to start off with and I also put a few rocks in today, need to get a few more nice chunks of rock and some sort of glue/sealant to make sure they stay put, any recommendations on a glue?

Here it is as it sits now not much but getting there

Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2013 18:45 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Replied by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley) on topic new tank
Aquarium safe silicone should do the trick and would be easy enough to scrape off whenever you decide to do something different with the tank

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
01 Jun 2013 19:20 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Replied by irish-zx10r (James feenan) on topic new tank
Very nice tank what stock are u putting in it? Did u get eggcrat for under the rocks ?

Something fishie going on here

More
01 Jun 2013 19:38 #10 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)

Very nice tank what stock are u putting in it? Did u get eggcrat for under the rocks ?

I'm going for African cichlids have a few already in my old tank

The rocks are only sitting there at the mo plan to put a dab of sealer on them, what sort of eggcrate would you recommend to use I'm still a novice at all this

More
01 Jun 2013 23:28 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I'm going for African cichlids have a few already in my old tank

The rocks are only sitting there at the mo plan to put a dab of sealer on them, what sort of eggcrate would you recommend to use I'm still a novice at all this

Try your lfs or somewhere that do ceiling lights and hanging ceilings
If u look up my older post you will see some photos. If u can save one to your phone they will know what you are looking for.

More
03 Jun 2013 20:46 #12 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Slowly getting there with my rock work, I robbed a few bits out of my other tank and have them where I want them for now, need to get a few more rocks then i can glue them together so they don't fall, then I'm done and the sand can go in

Can I ask other people's opinions on other things like fake plants, where is the best place to get some nice tall ones

Cheers danny

Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2013 22:21 #13 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I'll show you some nice tall plants when I see you!!!!
Got some new 1's for my own tank yesterday, and I have to say (in my own opinion) they look great

More
10 Jun 2013 20:44 #14 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Not much going on this week due to work and a much needed get away, but I did manage to pick up some great bits of ocean rock for little or nothing while I was in Carlow with the family, I'm not long home and already have moved all the rock around to where I am finally happy with it :)

Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2013 22:00 #15 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Well most of the water is in I'm letting it run over night to get her up to temp

I started my day off with a trip out to Ieva star (johney) who very kindly gave me a load of rock and a few other bits and bobs thank you very much
Then I headed down to mr Hammie to pick up a filter couldn't wait to get home to start the final setup but I had to feed the misses so we got delayed lol

I started off by washing my sand and what a job that was, 2 hours I was at it then got it in and tucked around the rocks to keep them in place

I then hooked up the hose and slowly put the water in and added my water treatment

and this is how it sits now, one question how long will it take for the cloudy water to clear up?

More
15 Jun 2013 22:45 #16 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Looking good Danny.
The water will clear quicker with a filter full of floss or wool in there.....
Just something to get the water moving and pull out the fine stuff that's hanging in the water!
The setup looks nice! Looking forward to seeing it develop man!

More
16 Jun 2013 05:34 #17 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
She is looking good this morning all cleared up and temp is at 27 °C, I added some filter media from my old tank to the filter and squeezed a bit into the thank its self, I will start adding all my old tank water around lunch time and then the fish I'm going to put my old filter in for a few weeks to speed up the process

Attachments:

More
16 Jun 2013 08:26 #18 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Replied by Gonefishy (Brian oneill) on topic new tank
Tank is shaping up really nicely Danny and looks really great already...keep posting update pics....

More
16 Jun 2013 09:10 #19 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Cheers I tried my best not to rush into this one and took my time for once and it looks like its starting to pay off, pH level is up to 8.0 now and the temp is nice and steady at 26-27 so all going to paln my next update in a few hours will be with the fish in :)

More
16 Jun 2013 10:55 #20 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Fish are in and loving their new home its crazy how fast they set up there own patch in the tank, any time I see a chance for a good pic they scarper off so here's one of my pleco sucking on his new rock ha and my rainbow shark is loving all the rock tunnels

Attachments:

More
16 Jun 2013 11:00 #21 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Good job
Just go easy on the feeding for a fee days till everything beds in a bit

More
16 Jun 2013 11:04 #22 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
Replied by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta) on topic new tank
looking good Danny if u need anything let me know great pics cheers Johney

More
16 Jun 2013 11:11 #23 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)

Good job
Just go easy on the feeding for a fee days till everything beds in a bit

Ah I'm just letting them do their own thing now, they got fed just before I headed down to you yesterday so il hold out for a few days on their next feed

looking good Danny if u need anything let me know great pics cheers Johney

Thanks again johney ;)

Got a quick vid of them and my son Jake playing peek a boo with them lol

More
16 Jun 2013 11:19 #24 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic new tank
This project is coming together nicely now Danny.

You're probably aware of this, but it's worth mentioning all the same, Plecos (is yours an Ancistrus?) are really a South American Amazonian fish and the water they come from would - in the main - be the opposite in 'makeup' to that of your Rift-valley Cichlids, much lower pH and less hard.

But...I'm aware of several people who keep, or have kept, Plecos in with Malawis quite successfully. The majority of these will have never seen the Amazon anyhow, having come from stew-ponds in the far-East, so perhaps this isn't quite as relevant now - but it/they mightn't thrive as well as they might in 'more ideal' (for them) circumstances and it's as well to be mindful of this fact.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Jun 2013 11:35 #25 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
The tank and fish look great where did you get your stock of fish ? love the colours.

More
16 Jun 2013 11:49 #26 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)

This project is coming together nicely now Danny.

You're probably aware of this, but it's worth mentioning all the same, Plecos (is yours an Ancistrus?) are really a South American Amazonian fish and the water they come from would - in the main - be the opposite in 'makeup' to that of your Rift-valley Cichlids, much lower pH and less hard.

But...I'm aware of several people who keep, or have kept, Plecos in with Malawis quite successfully. The majority of these will have never seen the Amazon anyhow, having come from stew-ponds in the far-East, so perhaps this isn't quite as relevant now - but it/they mightn't thrive as well as they might in 'more ideal' (for them) circumstances and it's as well to be mindful of this fact.

John

I had the pleco from my 1st setup just before I changed it for the Africans and was told more or less what you posted so I said feck it il see how he gets on and he is flying and almost triple the size he was when I got him

The tank and fish look great where did you get your stock of fish ? love the colours.

Got them all up in aquatic village off Ian ;)

More
17 Jun 2013 08:28 #27 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
well day 2 and the water is now crystal clear now so happy days, i also did a water test this morning and all is good, pH is at 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5.0 going to do a water change later on this evening

File Attachment:

More
17 Jun 2013 20:54 #28 by Shane (Shane Faulkner)
Replied by Shane (Shane Faulkner) on topic new tank
Tank looking well like the photos of the whole set up nice

More
18 Jun 2013 14:50 #29 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
Finished up work early today so I said I would get my water change done and test the water again, while getting my gear out and set up my son noticed his Mickey Mouse diver in the press and set about trying to put him back in the tank, in madness that followed from the excitement he broke of the base and bubbler so we came up with this plan and I think he looks the part in there

Well after that I got stuck in and did the test and all is spot on so happy days so far
Attachments:

More
18 Jun 2013 19:24 #30 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
:) that last photo is class i say your son is very happy

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds