Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New tank,

More
09 Jun 2014 17:22 #1 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
I am moving up in the world, Going from a 25 ltr to 46 ltr, If anyone has any suggestions for me, Tank is up and running but no fish in yet will leave it for a few days, I want to keep it easy going for now, I have my 2 sword tail Platy's and 6 cardinal tetra, I got a new anciturs on Friday but he passed away, :( Water levels all correct,
Would appreciate any suggestions on what kind of Cardinals to get for new tank,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 17:45 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic New tank,
That's not good news about your Ancistrus (?) Theresa, if your water levels are - as you say - perfect then they're pretty hardy fish and should really
have made the change OK.

I'm assuming - for the sake of 'clarity' that you went through the normal process when introducing a new fish, did you check the water the new fish was in?

Regarding your upgrade, I'm again assuming (I'm a great one for making assumptions) that you've used the filtration set-up from your smaller tank?

The reason for asking is you have doubled your water volume and this is going to take a little while for everything to 'catch up'.

My advice would be to wait a bit longer than a 'few days' - maybe a week...

Not absolutely certain what you mean by what kind of Cardinals for the new tank? To the best of my knowledge there is only the one Cardinal Tetra.

For what it's worth my suggestion - once everything's 'set fair' would be to go for Neon Tetras for the starter fish as they're now 'tough as old boots' and very forgiving of slight water irregularities.

Perhaps others here may have other suggestions for Theresa?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Jun 2014 21:15 #3 by wolfie (Anthony)
Replied by wolfie (Anthony) on topic New tank,

That's not good news about your Ancistrus (?) Theresa, if your water levels are - as you say - perfect then they're pretty hardy fish and should really
have made the change OK.

Il answer some of this for my dear old mother.

I'm assuming - for the sake of 'clarity' that you went through the normal process when introducing a new fish, did you check the water the new fish was in?
Water was tested and everything well within parameters,the ancistrus was quite young so may have been a little sensitive,all normal process was followed for introducing.
Regarding your upgrade, I'm again assuming (I'm a great one for making assumptions) that you've used the filtration set-up from your smaller tank?
The old filtration will be used along with the new and the tand is being brought up to speed using api quickstart

The reason for asking is you have doubled your water volume and this is going to take a little while for everything to 'catch up'.

My advice would be to wait a bit longer than a 'few days' - maybe a week...
Thats a "country" few days john it will be plenty haha

Not absolutely certain what you mean by what kind of Cardinals for the new tank? To the best of my knowledge there is only the one Cardinal Tetra.
She means what kind of tetra

For what it's worth my suggestion - once everything's 'set fair' would be to go for Neon Tetras for the starter fish as they're now 'tough as old boots' and very forgiving of slight water irregularities.

Perhaps others here may have other suggestions for Theresa?
i personally reckon pristella tetra

John

More
09 Jun 2014 22:23 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic New tank,
Ah, so Wolfie is the infamous son - I was wondering who it might have been...

Pristellas (in my younger days they were known as 'X-ray tetras') are another hardy fish so yes, another good selection.

Serpae are another - but do tend to be a bit 'nippy' so perhaps might be better avoided.

There are an awful lot of small Tetras available - the suggestion, as ever, is to have a look and see what takes the eye.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
10 Jun 2014 14:13 - 10 Jun 2014 14:15 #5 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic New tank,
Instead of tetras with not rasboras? I have two types and both are tough and very peaceful.

Wolfie really nice you have your mother in this, I'd like to set a shrimp nano for my father next time I go to Spain.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2014 14:15 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
10 Jun 2014 17:03 #6 by wolfie (Anthony)
Replied by wolfie (Anthony) on topic New tank,

Instead of tetras with not rasboras? I have two types and both are tough and very peaceful.

Wolfie really nice you have your mother in this, I'd like to set a shrimp nano for my father next time I go to Spain.

i suggested harlequin rasbora which she was looking at today so we will see what she picks once the new tank is running sufficiently,

they do need to be hardy fish as the water around here is very hard especially down my mothers estate,we actually take the water from my house down to hers for water changes as mine is marginally better.

yeah it was a bit of a fluke getting her into the hobby i offered her a tank and she accepted so i actually went out and bought her a brand new setup and now we are here at her first expansion :)

More
10 Jun 2014 17:37 #7 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic New tank,
If you want a couple of young brisslenose FOC
Let me know
When I seen the name and location I had an idea it was your mam, but didnt like to ask

More
10 Jun 2014 17:44 #8 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
Thanks JohnH,
Yep indeed Wolfie is the infamous son lol,
A he is a great help and as he has such a big tank himself he got me started in early Feb this yr, Had a look at a few different tetra's today, Will wait a few wks to see what I get, Thank you for your suggestions,

More
10 Jun 2014 17:47 #9 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
Wolfie I will dear old mother you,

More
10 Jun 2014 18:26 #10 by theresa. (Theresa O Brien)
Tks Hammie, Will let you know soon,

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds