Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Purchased My First Tank! Pictures added

More
01 Nov 2008 18:00 - 01 Nov 2008 21:37 #1 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
We went out today and purchased our first aquarium (tropical).

We bought the Jumel Vision180 with the curved front.

When I have it set up I'll post a pic!
Last edit: 01 Nov 2008 21:37 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters). Reason: pics added

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2008 18:10 - 01 Nov 2008 18:11 #2 by steven (steven)
Well done man nice tank to start off with, patience is the key now to let your water settle and let some benefical bacteria take hold in your filter, gradually adding a couple of fish in a couple of weeks, any advice or help you need man just ask, and remember there are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

Did you get yourself a testkit aswell they are vital to smoothly mantaining your aquarium, the fish will look after themselves, you need to take care of the water.

What did you buy with it. i.e gravel, airpumps, any decorations.

Also what fish do you intend on keepeing??

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??
Last edit: 01 Nov 2008 18:11 by steven (steven).

More
01 Nov 2008 18:26 #3 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
it came with the filter and pump. I bought some artificial rock, a little replica barrell, some plastic plants.

I hope to keep Labidochromis Caeruleus, Spotted Duboisi and a.nother, I didnt get a test kit yet as the guy in the shop will be running test on my water first few weeks.

I've never seen anyone so exited about fish ... apart from last week when I was in the same shop on a reci mission.

Dolf

More
01 Nov 2008 18:34 #4 by steven (steven)
Good man, if your going to keep Yellow Labs and Dubosi they like a rocky setup with a coral sand base with a ph of about 8, the coral sand buffers the ph. You should also look at moori also know as dolphins they would go well with your setup. Malawi can be a messy fish and alot of people stock there tanks quite heavy with them, this is where filtration is the key, maybe down the road invest in a good external filter you won't regret it.

Thats great service that the lfs is going to monitor your water, but eventually you will need to get a test kit so you know whats going on in your tank. I can't stress enough to you how important excellent water quality is, you will have a happy healthy tank, best of luck and hope you have many hours of pleasure with your new hobby.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
01 Nov 2008 18:37 - 01 Nov 2008 18:41 #5 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
they recommended a beige gravel coz this gravel apparently help sort the PH.
wife just checked the label .... coral sand is what we brough home

on the gravel,.... should W wash/rinse them before they go in the tank? same question for the ornaments?
Last edit: 01 Nov 2008 18:41 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters).

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Nov 2008 18:47 #6 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Purchased My First Tank!!!!!!!!
Hi Dolf,

Well, Happy Birthday !!!! and welcome to the world of fishkeeping! :-)

You should indeed wash the gravel before you put it in your tank. Otherwise, all the 'impurities' will make the water very cloudy and take longer to settle, dirtying your filter sponges.
Wash it in small batches in a a bucket, rincing it until the water runs clear.
The water in your tank will look cloudy for a few days but will clear quicker if you rince the gravel beforehand.

Best of luck with your new project. You are at a great stage, discovering/learning to set up a tank. It might feel like a challenge sometimes, but, it is very rewarding and also very addictive :-)
It'll be no time until you yearn for another tank ! :laugh:

Let us know how you get on with your project. Documenting with pics and posting your experience would be great ! ;-)

Finally, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay. Remember, as Steven says, any questions, just ask - someone will be able to reply or point you in the right direction !

Valerie

More
01 Nov 2008 19:06 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Congrats on the purchase Dolf. Pm sent to you also. I think you are in my neck of the woods so I may be able to help you out.
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 19:12 #8 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
thanks for all the encouragement ...

it's actually not my birthday till january, but hey ....

does the thermometer go on the outside of the tank? its one of those stick on 'digital' ones

Thanks

More
01 Nov 2008 19:34 #9 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Howdy Dolf,

Welcome to the amazing & captivating world of fishkeeping.

Your thermometer sticks onto the outside of the tank.

Excellent advice from Steven in both posts above.

I'd suggest you spend a few hours reading the forums here and also lookup, study & understand the nitrogen cycle and how to properly establish your aquarium.

Fishkeeping is really water keeping. Keep the water pristine and you will find it practically impossible not to keep healthy & happy fish.

Good luck.... :)

More
01 Nov 2008 19:42 #10 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
thanks for the advise.

How deep does one put the gravel in the tank?

thanks.

this is like having you all here telling me what to do next :)

More
01 Nov 2008 19:53 #11 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
One to two inches is enough. However some of the fish will dig at it etc...but go for 2 inches and you will have loads.
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 20:24 #12 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
cool,
H2 0 going in!!

this is sooo exciting!:woohoo:

More
01 Nov 2008 20:26 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Put a saucer or plate on top of the coral and put the water in slowly onto the saucer. By doing this it means the sand/ coral wont be pushed all over the place when you are filling the tank up.
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 20:28 #14 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
sound, pouring it through the filters as thats what thwe anual said?

More
01 Nov 2008 20:37 #15 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
No need to pour it through the filters,takes a while to do that.When its new water it makes no difference how you put it in.Its uncycled,the filter will get water flowing through it as soon as its full and turned on!
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 20:47 #16 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Congratulations and what a tank to start up with! Keep the Q's coming there's always help at hand here

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
01 Nov 2008 20:56 #17 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
she's full up now, will do a quick tidy round and then I'll post some pics

More
01 Nov 2008 21:04 #18 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Sounds good,looking forward to seeing it. It will be slighty cloudy at the start,I wouldnt take any notice of that,it will settle down in a few days.Its just stirred up now after all the water being added,if you washed the coral / sand then it wont be too bad at all.
Now get those pics uploaded!!
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 21:18 - 01 Nov 2008 21:21 #19 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
Pics: being loaded onto facebook as we speak ...
Last edit: 01 Nov 2008 21:21 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters).

More
01 Nov 2008 21:19 #20 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Nothing showing Im afraid ?

More
01 Nov 2008 21:24 - 01 Nov 2008 21:29 #21 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
Last edit: 01 Nov 2008 21:29 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters). Reason: pics added

More
01 Nov 2008 21:27 #22 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Nice one,hard to see but it looks good however! Try uploading them to photobucket and they will post better then if you use the IMG tag.
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 21:37 #23 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
wow the quickest post of a tank setup yet ! can't wait to see the livestock swimming around in a few weeks

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
01 Nov 2008 21:58 #24 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Ah, the pics are showing fine now. NICE.
The tank looks good,are you getting a background for the tank ? Also invest in a timer plug so the lights can turn on and off at the same time each day which I personally find is the best way of maintaining some type of routine etc..
Tank looks nice though,will be an interesting thread to see when the fish are added etc.
Also for someone who bought a tank today,you have been busy to be able to set it up so quick! Well done.
Gavin

More
01 Nov 2008 22:08 #25 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
Fishowner wrote:

Also for someone who bought a tank today,you have been busy to be able to set it up so quick! Well done.
Gavin

it was the adrenaline i'd say ... once you pop, you cant stop! B)

More
01 Nov 2008 22:16 #26 by tm2204 (Thomas Maguire)
Nice setup Dolf; also amazingly clear water for having just set it up today.

Good luck with the tank... :)

More
01 Nov 2008 22:26 #27 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
not just today, .... this evening:P

More
01 Nov 2008 23:20 #28 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Sounds like you had about 20 cups of coffee before you set the tank up. that's some fast work for a first tank.
Regarding the thermometer; if it is a glass tube it goes inside the tank. If you put it outside you will get the temp. of the room and not the water inside the tank. If it is a digital one with a probe, the probe goes inside and the digital clock on the out side.
Not trying to sound negative since i think you are doing a great job and asking all the right questions there are a couple of thing you need to consider regarding the setup you are going for and the fish selection.
The two fish you mention are from different lakes. Lake Malawi and lake Tanganyika.
Although some people keep these fish successfully in the same tank there are some differences worth looking at.
Read this in particular the difference in water.
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/content/view/20/30/
Here is a tread worth looking at about Malawi's
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/catid,43/id,32753/

Hopefully someone with good experience with both Malawi's and Tang's will be able to guide you in the right direction for a trouble free tank.

More
01 Nov 2008 23:25 #29 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
thanks, had a few glasses of coke, so had the added benefit of caffiene(?spelling?) and sugar :woohoo:

the thermometer that came with the tank is a self=adhesive stip ... any ideas on these?

More
01 Nov 2008 23:55 #30 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The thermometer strips are stuck to the outside. The problem with these they are not very accurate. The back of them get the temp. from the tank but the face of them get the temp. from the room.
You could use this and also get a glass one for inside the tank as back up.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds