Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Purchased My First Tank! Pictures added

More
01 Nov 2008 23:59 #31 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
again, thanks for the advise ....

everyone, keep the suggestions/help coming, but right now, I'm going to bed!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2008 04:58 #32 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Id avoid using the thermometer strip. Ive tryed using them before and they are rubbish,nowhere near accurate enough. It vital that you have a an accurate temperature in your tank when you add your fish. If I was you, I purchase 2 or 3 thermometer that you can attach to the inside of the tank glass. Avoid mercury thermometers as the mercury is poision if it breaks in the tank. You will certainly need 2 thermometers initailly (One for the tank and one for when you are adding water during water changes,ie.to ensure the water going into your tank is the same temp as water in your tank).

Also for a tank your size I would use two thermometers,position them at opposite sides of the tank. Thermometers for the tanks are dirt cheap to pick up.They retail for about 2 or 3 quid at most. They come with suction cups and easily attach to the inner glass.
Its always handy to have some spares useful. The same goes for a heater.Most fishkeepers on here would have spares on hand in case something happens to their tank. Your second heater could be indeed a smaller heater / cheaper than what you have,its more to do with having something to back up the tank in case your original heater ever fails.

What have you done re cycling of your tank ? It wont just automatically cycle,I think maybe you should kick start the process?
Gavin

Ps: early moring post as Im dying sick with a flu and cant sleep!!

More
02 Nov 2008 08:50 - 02 Nov 2008 09:59 #33 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
jes,

your flu must be bad if your up at that hour of the night.

all I've done sofar is set up the tank and added 'nutrafin Aqua Plus' a water conditioner and 'Nutrafin Biological Aquarium Supplement' a as it says on the bottle 'powerful biogical supplement which raopidly matures new aquariums and filter'

do I need to do more?

oh, the tank is all air bubles, is this normal?

Thanks
Last edit: 02 Nov 2008 09:59 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters).

More
02 Nov 2008 09:31 - 02 Nov 2008 10:54 #34 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
created new tread with diff q.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2008 10:54 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters).

More
02 Nov 2008 17:45 #35 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
but feel free to answer the remaing q's on here also;)

More
02 Nov 2008 17:52 #36 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Bubbles are fine,they provide oxygen and water agititation. You cant have enough bubbles to be honest so on that score you are fine.
What setting have you got the temperature at ?
Gavin

More
02 Nov 2008 18:09 #37 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
temps around 26 according to the stick on thermo. will get a seond thermo tomorro.

should I be doing something to start the tanks cycling?

More
02 Nov 2008 18:15 #38 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
If you added the biological supplement then you have done your bit!
Id pick up a test kit tomorrow if I was you,particularly when you will be getting the thermometer also.
26c is fine.
Gavin

More
02 Nov 2008 18:23 #39 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
so, how long do I wait now before I can add fish? cos the guy in the shop seems to be willing to give me fish next weekend if the water is right?! sounds very soon?

More
02 Nov 2008 19:41 #40 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Its probably too soon. It depends on your water testings. You cant say 10 days and it will be fine,or 7 days and it will be fine. It depends on the cycle of the tank,you will need to test the water to know if its ready or not. I have some molly's that you can use to mature your tank. They are nice fish,Ive no problem giving them to you,they are an ideal fish to mature a tank.
Gavin

More
02 Nov 2008 19:54 #41 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
thanks for offer, I'd be worried bout sending our fish to the big fishtank in the sky tho.
I'll buy a test kit(and a few thermometers) in the next few days to see where the water's at.

Thanks

More
03 Nov 2008 19:05 - 03 Nov 2008 19:07 #42 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters)
Bought another 'rock' as tank looked a little bear - water is ever so slightly cloudy this evening?

before:

after:

Last edit: 03 Nov 2008 19:07 by dolf_peeters (Dolf Peeters).

More
03 Nov 2008 19:13 #43 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Dont worry about the cloudyness,its harmless.Its cycling.
Gavin

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds