Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Calling all shrimp keepers!

More
09 Jun 2016 09:30 #1 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Its gone very quite here in the shrimp section? Is there many shrimp keepers active here anymore? Whats going on with your shrimps. Any questions pop them up. There are a few very experienced shrimp breeders here so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Stephen.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2016 10:19 #2 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
I'm a total newbie to keeping shrimp.. I've got a few Orange Sakura in a 10ltr cube, that's it :lol:

More
09 Jun 2016 11:17 #3 by robert (robert carter)
I have a 30 litre aquael with red cherries in it . never had any problems ,they seem happy as they are breeding . have thought of trying red crystals but they seem quite expensive and I believe much harder to keep

More
09 Jun 2016 11:38 #4 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

I'm a total newbie to keeping shrimp.. I've got a few Orange Sakura in a 10ltr cube, that's it :lol:

I started with a 20l tank with a few cherries in it. They make lovely little tanks for a bed room or kitchen. I have since moved on to bigger tanks but i still have my little 20l in the kitchen.

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 11:42 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I once was a very keen shrimp keeper.

Planned to get into breeding high grade crystals and Taiwan shrimp had a shrimp rack built with opti White tanks ended up having to sell it before I ever got it going kept and bred blue tigers normal tiger shrimp and blue velvet shrimp I think they were called.

Haven't brought myself to keep shrimp since then.

When I finish breeding the bettas I might get back into shrimp keeping great feeling seeing your first berried female.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
09 Jun 2016 11:49 #6 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

I have a 30 litre aquael with red cherries in it . never had any problems ,they seem happy as they are breeding . have thought of trying red crystals but they seem quite expensive and I believe much harder to keep

Cherries are a great to start on. Crystal's are not that hard to keep. You do need ro water, a mineraliser for your ro water and an active substrate to buffer the ph but that's about it. You can use akadama bonsai soil as a cheap alternative to the likes of ADA or Glasgarten soil. Crystal's are expensive in the shops but if you know a local breeder like myself they are much more affordable! ;)

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 11:57 #7 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

I once was a very keen shrimp keeper.

Planned to get into breeding high grade crystals and Taiwan shrimp had a shrimp rack built with opti White tanks ended up having to sell it before I ever got it going kept and bred blue tigers normal tiger shrimp and blue velvet shrimp I think they were called.

Haven't brought myself to keep shrimp since then.

When I finish breeding the bettas I might get back into shrimp keeping great feeling seeing your first berried female.

Regards
Craig

Yeah Craig they are very rewarding little guys. I had 10 tanks dotted around the house. A few months i decided feck it start a rack. Got breeding tanks made, bought a big air pump and shelving, much easier to do water changes when all your tanks are in the same room! I keep everything form crystals all the way up to Taiwan bee shrimp. The rack is still a work in progress but will get there in the end!

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 11:58 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
File Attachment:

The shrimp rack that never happend :(

And to correct myself it was blue pearls I was keeping.

Regards
Craig

More
09 Jun 2016 12:09 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Im expecting a delivery of 12 tank bred Sulawesi shrimp today.
Dennerli.
Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
09 Jun 2016 12:14 #10 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

File Attachment:

Regards
Craig

That would of made a lovely little setup. Why didnt ya go ahead with it?

Stephen.

More
09 Jun 2016 12:15 #11 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Im expecting a delivery of 12 tank bred Sulawesi shrimp today.
Dennerli.
Kev.

Very nice kev beautiful little shrimp. I was going to setup a tank for them but found it had to source them.

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 12:29 #12 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)

I started with a 20l tank with a few cherries in it. They make lovely little tanks for a bed room or kitchen. I have since moved on to bigger tanks but i still have my little 20l in the kitchen.

Stephen

I've seen my females carrying berries but, I did have some erythromicron in the tank with them so I'm gonna go with the assumption, they had a feast of the babies

More
09 Jun 2016 12:40 #13 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Yeah id say the baby shrimp were a tasty snack for the fish. as far as im aware the only "shrimp safe" fish are Otocinclus.

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 14:12 #14 by alan 64 (alan)
I am looking for some fire reds for my discus tank if anybody has some

More
09 Jun 2016 14:31 #15 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I would imagine they would be a snack for the discus Alan I tried cherrys in the tefe tank years ago and they hoovered them all up

More
09 Jun 2016 14:31 #16 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

I am looking for some fire reds for my discus tank if anybody has some

Alan, your discus will eat fire red shrimp. If your looking to feed shrimp to your discus just set up a 20l tank and breed normal cherries to feed them.

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 14:35 #17 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

File Attachment:

Regards
Craig

That would of made a lovely little setup. Why didnt ya go ahead with it?

I got let go from a job just had one of my daughters so it really wasent a good time and it was sitting there so I had to sell it.

Still regret never using it put so much planning into it did a kinda blog on here of the equipment I was using tank dimensions ect ect

More
09 Jun 2016 15:28 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
Lads i would be very suprised if my discus would eat them as they wont realy eat anything but beefheart and bloodworm plus the bottom of my tank is completly coverd with around 2 inch of thick plant so i think they would be ok and i have some tiny fish in with thr discus that they dont bother at all

More
09 Jun 2016 15:49 #19 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Im not sure Alan, but you would know your discus better then me. I just did a quick google search and found lots of posts say they do not mix. My general rule is if they can fit in the fishes mouth, they will get eaten.

Stephen

More
09 Jun 2016 17:18 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
Maybee i should get some cheap cherrys to find out first, i have put all sorts into these lads and they will not eat it there are 2 tiny ember tetras in there and the discus dont even attemp to eat them i have tried feeding them small frozen shrimp and they just ignore it

More
09 Jun 2016 17:51 #21 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Maybee i should get some cheap cherrys to find out first, i have put all sorts into these lads and they will not eat it there are 2 tiny ember tetras in there and the discus dont even attemp to eat them i have tried feeding them small frozen shrimp and they just ignore it

Might be a good idea Alan, ya should pick up cherry shrimp cheap enough. I don't breed that type of shrimp anymore. Let us know how you get on.

More
09 Jun 2016 20:53 #22 by alan 64 (alan)
Will do i like to test things out as you never learn untill u do , currently i have 16 hm bettas in with my discus and they are doing very well so if u googled that it probably goes against the grain

More
10 Jun 2016 05:37 #23 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
This is my rack a few weeks ago. Have another 5 section tank to setup and pop into that second last shelf with the 2 small tanks on it. The 2 small tanks with be broken down. Will pop a more up to date pic up at the weekend.

Stephen
Attachments:

More
10 Jun 2016 05:55 #24 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

This is my rack a few weeks ago. Have another 5 section tank to setup and pop into that second last shelf with the 2 small tanks on it. The 2 small tanks with be broken down. Will pop a more up to date pic up at the weekend.

Stephen

That's a quality set up Stephen god I am getting the shrimp bug again hahahah

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 06:00 #25 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

Will do i like to test things out as you never learn untill u do , currently i have 16 hm bettas in with my discus and they are doing very well so if u googled that it probably goes against the grain

There is a strong possibility that the bettas would snack on any shrimplets that they seen.

But like everything it's all trial and error so give it a go.

I had a mate who had an Oscar and a frontosa together for years despite me telling him the obvious no no s about that considering they require different water parameters but then again fish are so commercially bred the frontosa probably never had s tank with s high ph like the guidelines would suggest.

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 06:58 #26 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Lol Craig, i will have a few spare tanks here if ya want re-spark your inner shrimp keeper!

Stephen.

Stephen

That's a quality set up Stephen god I am getting the shrimp bug again hahahah

Regards
Craig

More
10 Jun 2016 07:57 #27 by robert (robert carter)
looks great

More
10 Jun 2016 09:03 #28 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Nice set up :)
I found divided tanks a pain as the shrimp seem to enjoy travelling from one side to the other :crazy:

More
10 Jun 2016 10:48 #29 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Nice set up :)
I found divided tanks a pain as the shrimp seem to enjoy travelling from one side to the other :crazy:

Thanks Anthony, I have had no problems with shrimp tank swapping. I made sure i got tight fitting lids made to stop any escapees!

Stephen

More
10 Jun 2016 11:33 #30 by Homer (Kevin)
Give me a Bell and I'll tell you where to find them.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds