Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Calling all shrimp keepers!

More
10 Jun 2016 14:30 #31 by alan 64 (alan)
Kev il bell ye later

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2016 15:49 #32 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

Im expecting a delivery of 12 tank bred Sulawesi shrimp today.
Dennerli.
Kev.

Would love to have tank for them, they look awesome!

More
10 Jun 2016 16:43 #33 by Homer (Kevin)
Ordered 12, received17, thrilled!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
10 Jun 2016 16:44 #34 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Good luck with them Kev up load some pictures when you get a chance.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
10 Jun 2016 16:50 #35 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

Kev.

Nice one! Yea good luck and photos/video pls! :cool:

More
10 Jun 2016 17:35 #36 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Kev.

Nice one kev best of luck with them. Get some pix up when they settle down.

Stephen.

More
11 Jun 2016 12:21 #37 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Few quick snaps for ya's.

Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2016 12:26 #38 by robert (robert carter)
Love the crystal reds

More
11 Jun 2016 12:42 #39 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Love the crystal reds

Yeah they were sold to me as Benibachi Pure Red Line but the guy who sold them to me had not been selecting breeding them so colors are a little weak at the min so i will be selectively breeding them till the legs color up a bit more and better color saturation. 3 holding eggs so fingers crossed.

Stephen.

More
11 Jun 2016 12:50 #40 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I like the CBS. Selective breeding started on these guys also.

Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2016 13:42 #41 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2016 14:12 #42 by robert (robert carter)
Are the crystal reds much harder to keep than the red cherries , i have a 30 litre aquael tank with black fine gravel in it ,have a small powerhead with a sponge on it, a small preset heater 25 deg c and a few fast growing plants . Tank is up and running 6mth now, weekly 25% water changes all water chemistry is zero , my red cherries seem happy and are breeding well . Could i put a few red crystals into this tank with the red cherries ?

More
11 Jun 2016 14:20 #43 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Are the crystal reds much harder to keep than the red cherries , i have a 30 litre aquael tank with black fine gravel in it ,have a small powerhead with a sponge on it, a small preset heater 25 deg c and a few fast growing plants . Tank is up and running 6mth now, weekly 25% water changes all water chemistry is zero , my red cherries seem happy and are breeding well . Could i put a few red crystals into this tank with the red cherries ?

You could try it Rob but to be honest crystals probably would not do very well. Are you using tap water for your changes? Crystals need a Ph of around 6.2 up to around 7 any higher and they wont be happy in my experience. Kh 0 - 1 Gh about 5 and temps 18-23. Higher temperatures will shorten life span.

More
11 Jun 2016 14:29 #44 by robert (robert carter)
Am using tap water ph 7 , wont try it dont want to stress them ,is there any other variety of shrimp that would suit me better ?

More
11 Jun 2016 14:40 - 11 Jun 2016 14:41 #45 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Am using tap water ph 7 , wont try it dont want to stress them ,is there any other variety of shrimp that would suit me better ?

Any neocaridina shrim should be fine. The likes of Rilli shrimp, Yellow cherries, Orange Cherries etc but they are all the same species just selectively bred for their different colors so they will inter breed. If could find out your GH, KH and TDS there is a chance tiger shrimp (Caridina cantonensis sp. tiger) would do well.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2016 14:41 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey).

More
11 Jun 2016 16:07 #46 by robert (robert carter)
don't have test kits for the above ,but next time I am in sh will ask them to test . thanks for the help

More
11 Jun 2016 16:29 #47 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
No probs Rob. If ya ever want to setup a tank just for crystal shrimp let me know i will point ya in the rite direction.

Stephen

More
12 Jun 2016 18:23 #48 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Up to date rack.

Attachments:

More
12 Jun 2016 20:08 #49 by robert (robert carter)
very impressive

More
12 Jun 2016 20:18 #50 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Very nice! Have few neoc black shrimps myself doing well, but will trade them as not suitable for my new project.

Or maybe I keep them and set up small tank, even that I promised wife no more tanks :D

Tom

More
12 Jun 2016 20:26 #51 by robert (robert carter)
just wait till she goes out ,once set up cant be taken down :cool: :cool: :cool:

More
12 Jun 2016 20:29 #52 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Haha good point! I have them in small tank I borrowed from friend with some substrate and few plants from old set up so might just leave them there and see what happen... :whistle:

More
13 Jun 2016 10:10 #53 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Very nice! Have few neoc black shrimps myself doing well, but will trade them as not suitable for my new project.

Or maybe I keep them and set up small tank, even that I promised wife no more tanks :D

Tom

Whats the new project tom?

More
14 Jun 2016 18:37 #54 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Have a look in planted tanks blog- Roots of life ;)

More
18 Jun 2016 07:22 #55 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Kev.

Well Kev how are the shrimp doing?

Stephen.

More
24 Jun 2016 14:54 #56 by Homer (Kevin)
Hey Stephen,

Lost a few as I expected but yesterday or possibly the day before,
I found 3 moults so thats great news and possibly babies to come as they only mate
after moulting!!!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
28 Jun 2016 06:43 #57 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Hey Stephen,

Lost a few as I expected but yesterday or possibly the day before,
I found 3 moults so thats great news and possibly babies to come as they only mate
after moulting!!!

Kev.

Nice one Kev, would be cool to see them holding eggs.

Stephen.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds