Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Thanks (again) to Darragh.

More
06 Jan 2014 10:56 #1 by JohnH (John)
I wanted to express my thanks (which I'm sure you'll all echo) to Darragh for upgrading the Forum over the weekend.

He does much sterling work in the background for us - I'm sure a lot of newer members aren't even slightly aware of this.

So - as usual - Darragh, thanks very much - your work is greatly appreciated.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2014 11:15 #2 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

I wanted to express my thanks (which I'm sure you'll all echo) to Darragh for upgrading the Forum over the weekend.

He does much sterling work in the background for us - I'm sure a lot of newer members aren't even slightly aware of this.

John

Absolutely John....couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure this takes a lot of time and I for one very much appreciate your efforts here Darragh....thanks again. Brian

More
06 Jan 2014 11:30 #3 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Thank you.

There are still a few issues left to fix.
The issues to fix are are:
  1. Header Banner needs to be full width
  2. Maps do not currently work
  3. Check display on small screen sizes

Regards
Darragh

More
06 Jan 2014 11:47 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

John[/quote
+1

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Jan 2014 19:20 #5 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Thanks a lot Darragh
With forums like this we tend to take things as granted and forget that there is loads of work being done behind the scenes to keep the site running smoothly

More
06 Jan 2014 19:24 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
I like the new look, its brighter more colourful, VERY WELL DONE DARRAGH.

More
06 Jan 2014 19:28 #7 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Thanks for your time and work Darragh :cool:

More
06 Jan 2014 19:49 #8 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
B) Darragh, im using my note 3 and layout is fine.
However on the motorola zoom it needs a bit of adjustment

I love the changes and upgrades. They are smoother and better organised imo

Well done

Neil

More
06 Jan 2014 20:31 #9 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Thanks darragh
I'm using my phone most of the time Sony z and its much better love it
Cheers bud

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
06 Jan 2014 23:01 #10 by theangryman (chris)
+1
Thanks for all the work Darragh

On my laptop the Header Banner is way off to the left, have to scroll over to see the posts, not the end of the world just to let you know

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
06 Jan 2014 23:11 #11 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Hi,

Can you please post screen shots of the website if you are seeing issues like the banner, etc so I can see the issues?

Thanks
Darragh

More
07 Jan 2014 03:06 - 07 Jan 2014 03:11 #12 by theangryman (chris)

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 03:11 by theangryman (chris).

More
07 Jan 2014 11:06 #13 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
On the iPhone 4 I can't see the link for my email is it possible for the last post to be read first when you open a topic ? I know on a PC or laptop these things wouldn't be a problem but when you use a phone its not as handy. Keep up the great work and thanks for keeping the site running so smooth

James

Something fishie going on here

More
07 Jan 2014 12:07 #14 by ger310 (Ger .)
I'm not sure if this is related to the maintenance that has gone on but a member just contacted me on the phone asking have I being able to log on to the forum as he hasn't being able to for the last 3 days,cheers

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
07 Jan 2014 13:43 #15 by arabu1973 (. .)
Hi Daragh, on the phones the site is all aligned to the left and its missing the
PM and other few features

More
07 Jan 2014 13:54 #16 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Hi Daragh, on the phones the site is all aligned to the left and its missing the
PM and other few features

+1

Something fishie going on here

More
07 Jan 2014 17:23 #17 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
Hi Darragh, on my PC everything is all over to the right and I have to scroll across to read stuff, also everyone seems to be posting about the differences.. sorry but mine is the same only wider

More
07 Jan 2014 19:16 #18 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Hi Darragh, on my PC everything is all over to the right and I have to scroll across to read stuff, also everyone seems to be posting about the differences.. sorry but mine is the same only wider

Same on ipad Darragh when you open a post....
Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2014 11:07 #19 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
The following issues need to be fixed:
  1. Header logo should fully stretch across
  2. Reduce width to 1280px instead of 1400px
  3. Email is not working

More
08 Jan 2014 19:16 - 08 Jan 2014 19:20 #20 by Reefaholic (adrian)
hi darragh

super job on the update since the update i dont get to see all my pms only the last few days not sure was this part of the update !!!
Last edit: 08 Jan 2014 19:20 by Reefaholic (adrian).

More
09 Jan 2014 23:38 #21 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Is the server where the forum is hosted crashing at nights or it's just me?

When you visit a user profile everybody is ranked as administrator.

More
14 Jan 2014 14:08 #22 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Is the server where the forum is hosted crashing at nights or it's just me?

When you visit a user profile everybody is ranked as administrator.

I have not been able to log in at night usually around midnight.

More
14 Jan 2014 14:11 #23 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Hi Darragh,
Another one for your list :) Good Luck!

The "remember me" option on the login does not seem to work: I access the forum several times a day from the same computer and i have to login every time.

More
14 Jan 2014 14:12 #24 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Oh another one: there does not seem to be any indicator when you have new messages received.

More
14 Jan 2014 14:19 #25 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
The server gets under very heavy load in the evenings/night this is due to using a heavyweight web server (apache).
I am currently looking at moving to a lightweight webserver (nginx) but have not got the configuration right yet to run the site.

Once I have nginx configured, it should remove the load issues.

Regards
Darragh

More
14 Jan 2014 15:27 #26 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
another one regarding PM's:
I am only able to see the last 10 incoming PM's, I am not able to see any of my outgoing PM's ==> i don't see a thumbnail for that option
I just read a PM and responded to it, and got a message that my PM was sent and the incoming PM I responded to was moved to the trash? Also don't see the trash.

• amp2000 (amp2000)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2014 00:18 #27 by amp2000 (amp2000)
Replied by amp2000 (amp2000) on topic Thanks (again) to Darragh.
Darragh, it looks like you upgraded joomla & the theme your using isn't compatible for some reason.

I haven't been here in a few days but I was getting lots of error's last week, 502 gateway etc. Your problem is either your host or your code, apache isn't the problem, it's a heavyweight webserver for a reason, it runs most of the websites on the internet. There isn't a hope apache is dropping them connections unless your hosting the site on dialup.

Send me a PM if your stuck Darragh, I might be able to help, I've plenty of Linux serverspace & bandwidth for testing & hosting.

P.S. It might be a javascript issue from another plugin, try deleting inactive plugins or whatever they are called on joomla.

Edit: while the page hangs I get a 504 & see your using nginx now, your webserver isn't the problem, it's the theme IMO.

More
20 Jan 2014 00:28 #28 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Try doing any replies etc from IE8!!!!!

More
20 Jan 2014 00:30 #29 by murph (Tony Murphy)
TRYing todelect anything results in random shit. (or in thi sinstance, invisible text!!!!!!

More
20 Jan 2014 12:46 #30 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
amp2000,

It is definitely the apache webserver, as I can see the load averages on the box and running top and sysstat that the apache instances are overloading the box.
Nginx sits in front of multiple servers as a reverse proxy forwarding onto apache servers that serve php (joomla).
I am currently trying to move those backend servers from apache to nginx with fastcgi as this will reduce the load while maintaining my security setup

Regards
Darragh

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds