Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

We're looking for some help here (please)...

More
29 Sep 2014 09:27 - 29 Sep 2014 16:17 #1 by JohnH (John)
After our 'Open Letter To Sponsors' of a few weeks back some have replied to let us know they're still standing.
These are (in the order received):
Aquatic Village
Artane Aquatics
Kinsealy Petstore
Seahorse Aquariums
Petco Long Mile Road and
Maxizoo Finglas

From here it was possible to ascertain that the following were still in existence:

Western Green Reverse Osmosis Units & Accessories
Underwater World
Newlands Aquatic Centre
Petmania
Atlantaquaria Galway, incorporating Home Aquariums
Maxi-Zoo Leopardstown
Petstop Blanchardstown
Fintastics Aquatics

and thanks to both Angle and Wolfie we've ascertained that - regrettably - the Trop-Shop is no longer with us. So that has been removed.
Thanks, too, to Dihanio, Carlowchris and Homer we now know that both Petstop Blanchardstown and Fintastic are alive and well so they've been moved up from the 'don't know' category so now it's just two 'uncertains' below to go.

So if anyone can shed any light on these ones please do:

Pet Palace
and
D&M Petshop

So, please, if any of you can tell us if these are still trading that would help us update the list of Forum Sponsors.

Thanks in advance,

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2014 16:17 by JohnH (John). Reason: Edited the post to update it
The topic has been locked.
More
29 Sep 2014 09:30 #2 by Dihanio (Paulie Hanlon)
For what it's worth, I regularly see the Fintastics Aquatics van in and around work in Cherrywood in Dublin 18
More
29 Sep 2014 10:43 #3 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Check who paid their sponsorship.
Those who did, are still trading.
Those who didnt, arent sponsors. :crazy:
More
29 Sep 2014 11:19 #4 by JohnH (John)
Justin,
Sponsors here are not required - still - to pay any fees so unfortunately your suggestion cannot be used.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Sep 2014 11:36 #5 by carlowchris (chris)
Fintastic is still trading..was in there last week
More
29 Sep 2014 11:45 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Pet stop Blanch are still operating.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
More
29 Sep 2014 12:20 #7 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
As far as I'm aware the tropshop if it's the one in Ashbourne,
Has gone :(

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN
More
29 Sep 2014 14:09 #8 by wolfie (Anthony)
tropshop is 100% gone its now a newsagents
More
29 Sep 2014 19:06 #9 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
John there is "Shauna's petshop on Capel street, they have a few fish and reptiles in basement.
More
29 Sep 2014 20:42 #10 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Following Stephane example and since this seems a list of lfs I'd like to suggest Baumanns from Stillorgan, haven't visited them for a while but they redid their website and you can buy online some stuff.
More
03 Oct 2014 22:24 #11 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Are they sponsors for competitions ?
More
03 Oct 2014 23:20 #12 by swai (Simon)
I just typed "sponsor" into Google and the first meaning that came up:

a person or organization that pays for or contributes to the costs involved in staging a sporting or artistic event in return for advertising.

The amount of business that goes to them when someone mentions to check with the "sponsors"

Marino, Dublin 9
More
04 Oct 2014 00:37 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
You also have a business/political/legilsative sponsor who only needs to prompt and support a venture.

"It's not all about the money !! " :D

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.
More
04 Oct 2014 01:00 #14 by swai (Simon)
I know it's not all about the money! I just don't see what support they give back to the forum.

I know the forum represents a small portion of fish keepers in Ireland but when you go into a shop they give you a lot of good advice. The only time I see they post here is to list there new stock arrivals. They don't get involved in discussions or advising people when they ask questions.

For me, I got recommended this forum by a person who works in a lfs and from that day the amount I have learned on this forum is unbelievable. I'm so glad I got directed to this site. I try and give back as much as I can and I just hoped that shops would do the same.

That's just my 2 cents.

Marino, Dublin 9
More
04 Oct 2014 08:20 #15 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
While some sponsors dont give public information they always reply to pms and the likes with the information ive looked for in the past! You have to remember that 90% of a small business is based on first impressions!

If you walk in and the person behind the counter has their head burried in a pc screen then your less likely to feel engaged and appreciated as a customer, so a small business cant really go having staff using the forum constantly replying to posts

But there are some members on here that use the forum regularly that work in the "top" aquatic stores in the country
More
04 Oct 2014 11:19 #16 by swai (Simon)
Ah I totally understand shops can't have people on the forum all day.

The members make this forum what it is, not the sponsors. That's what I've learned.

I guess I was a little disappointed finding out that sponsors actually don't sponsor.

It must take a lot of time for admin and a lot of hard work to keep this forum going the way it is. I thought sponsors could give some back. That's all.

Marino, Dublin 9
More
09 Oct 2014 13:14 #17 by JohnH (John)
OK, thanks to those who were able to offer constructive help - we now have everything 'up-to-date' so this can now be locked away for future reference.

It's an awful shame that SO many shops have been forced to close but fair play to those who are weathering the proverbial storm.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds