Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Part of thread moved

More
30 Oct 2017 12:29 - 30 Oct 2017 15:06 #1 by JohnH (John)

Craig you don’t seem to be the most intellectually lacking person to have graced this forum but if you’re posting insults directly at Ian just to gain a reply your aiming at the wrong person. If I’m being 100% honest this place was not only surviving but thriving until John H returned and sorry to try point the finger John but I think the stats speak for themselves

I'm sorry, Paul, that you are equating my Forum return to its decline and now I'm suspecting others may well be in agreement with you and from different innuendoes which I've heard I know this to be a correct assumption.

So, if it is good for the future of our Forum, I will glady step down and pass the position over to whoever feels they can take it on.
I will, however, remain an ordinary member of the Forum and help out when and where I'm able to.

There are those who think that the post of Adminstrator equates in some way to that of a position of prestige but, you having been a Global Moderator before your move abroad, will know this is far from actuality.
My only 'advice' to the replacement would be to a] be a dedicated and knowledgable fishkeeper and b] be prepared to be something more than an occasional casual visitor to the Forum.

When I took on the position of Administrator, at the time when Valerie had to stand down on health grounds, I stated that I could only do it to the best of my ability which is what I felt I have done.

Anyway, although I don't want this to sound like that of an apologist, your observation makes it pretty clear that maybe my best wasn't enough.

Hopefully you - or whoever becomes the next Administrator - can find a way to bring back the departees.
Good luck to you, or whoever else replaces me.

I have sent an email to Darragh to tell him I'm standing down and asking him to consider Bill as becoming the new Administrator.
He has many years' experience of keeping fish plus he has other forum Administror-experience too.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 15:06 by JohnH (John). Reason: Altered subject title

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2017 13:08 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Hi John , very sorry to hear this , to me you have always been helpful . Now a rant , i joined this forum because of the very knowledgable poeple on it , and it has been invaluable to me . I also thought the idea of this forum was to pass knowledge and experiences to other members , even if some people didnt agree with the posting , after all what works for one person might not for another , so why have we nowgone to a situation of having a disrespectful go at each other . Surely the rule should be if you havent something good or helpful to say then keep your mouth shut . A couple of the koi forums i am on i have seen members band for a lot less than whats going on hear . So everyone lets get back to passing knowledge and experience on to one anther and enjoy this brilliant hobby

More
30 Oct 2017 13:33 #3 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

Hi John , very sorry to hear this , to me you have always been helpful . Now a rant , i joined this forum because of the very knowledgable poeple on it , and it has been invaluable to me . I also thought the idea of this forum was to pass knowledge and experiences to other members , even if some people didnt agree with the posting , after all what works for one person might not for another , so why have we nowgone to a situation of having a disrespectful go at each other . Surely the rule should be if you havent something good or helpful to say then keep your mouth shut . A couple of the koi forums i am on i have seen members band for a lot less than whats going on hear . So everyone lets get back to passing knowledge and experience on to one anther and enjoy this brilliant hobby

Robert this has all become about from being lectured about the recession in my opinion days of moaning about the recession are well and truly over people have there ups and people have there downs it's a part of life and having a go about people buying online is a bit much also people will of course always want to save a few quid and everyone on here can agree prices in the shops are through the roof.

Your right Robert the basis of this forum is to help each other share experiences and all get along and at the moment it's the complete opposite.

Paul if you feel I was being insulting to Ian I apoligise if you read my previous posts you can see I stated how invaluable he is to the hobbie and the forum certainly needs people like him to be more active.

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
30 Oct 2017 15:11 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Hello everone.
By way of a footnote the later part of Ian's thread which deals with nothing to do with Aquatic Village has been moved away for that very reason.
Every sponsor has their own section to deal with their own Forum section matter and as this now has nothing much to do with the original thread I have (while I've still been able to) moved it away.

John

ITFS member.

More
30 Oct 2017 15:45 #5 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic Hello everone.
Dear Paul.....the decline of all forums is not down to John's administration

Forums are down several reasons

1...if a question has already been asked 100 times ...someone is not going to ask again whenever answers are already there

2. People do check there Facebook accounts more often than this forum...so people get answers there quicker

3 . Google can give answers quicker than waiting for a reply to a question

4. YouTube has so many people now doing blogs and giving there opinions..which is also quicker and sometimes these guys are aiming there videos at both fishkeeprrs and not fishkeeprrs and just putting up videos for entertainment

It amazes me how quickly someone can type something like that without considering all the good work John has put in over the years...

John thanks for all your advise and help over the years and I suspect many will be sad to see you stand down.

More
30 Oct 2017 16:03 - 30 Oct 2017 16:03 #6 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Robert you made a point about people being banned for a lot less that's going on here

What exactly is going on here in your opinion

To me it's just disagreeing with some people's comments I don't see how anyone has been disrespectful to each other Ian posted and people posted to agree with them comments or disagree with the comments I fail to see how anyone has been disrespectful.

Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 16:03 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle).

More
30 Oct 2017 16:06 #7 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
And people disagreed with ians points

Johnh was publicly put down in the open forum.

More
30 Oct 2017 17:05 - 30 Oct 2017 17:22 #8 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic Hello everone.
I don't understand how a member of this forum could be so disrepectfull to its administrator...

yet there is a website suggestions section and this member has never made a thread as to how the site could be improved
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 17:22 by carlowchris (chris).

More
30 Oct 2017 18:00 - 30 Oct 2017 18:01 #9 by robert (robert carter)
I will now make a sudjestion on how the forum can be improved . Cut the bickering out and lets get back to the joy of fish keeping and using the invaluably knowledge people have to improve the hobby for everyone
Last edit: 30 Oct 2017 18:01 by robert (robert carter). Reason: added sentance

More
31 Oct 2017 08:52 #10 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I personally don't think John did any wrong , the decline of activity on the forum isn't his fault, many forums are just dying away, I don't think people actually understand the effort John has put into the forum, I don't believe he has to step down, John has a lot of information and is like the first one to always reply

More
31 Oct 2017 15:18 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Hello everone.
Very sad to here this John.........I met you on one occasion and have had numerous text conversations with you and I have found you to be an extremely nice and generous person,and who has devoted so much time and effort into keeping this forum alive that i'm a bit taken a back that it has come to this!!

I don't have a Facebook account for a long while now but I know from speaking to people and from reading on other forums that all kinds of groups are popping up all over the place on it and this seems to be the reason that I have found why forums (well the ones that I do be on anyway) are in serious decline...........one forum I do be on (which is the 3rd busiest in Ireland) had a recent post about it and they say they have lost 75% of people to the forum in the last year alone which is a massive hit.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
31 Oct 2017 16:51 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Hello everone.
My 2 bobs worth is as far as my experience with john goes is that he has always been more than helpfull with advising me on any problem i have presented to him so thanks for ur time and advice john, im not on facebook either its sad to me the effect that bs has on all manner of society in my opinion

More
01 Nov 2017 01:26 - 01 Nov 2017 12:35 #13 by JohnH (John)
Sincere thanks to everyone who has made observations here on my behalf but, really, I'm not going anywhere - merely standing aside and stepping down as Administrator in order for Paul to take over and prove his 'finger-pointing' to be correct. The Forum contribution has dropped considerably and if this is somehow my fault I apologise unreservedly.
So, for the well-being of the Forum if my 'stand-down' results in an increase of activity I'm (as stated previously) happy to do so, but I'll still be here as a 'normal' member - trying my best to help and advise as best as I'm able.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding there might be.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 12:35 by JohnH (John). Reason: Spelling

More
01 Nov 2017 06:30 #14 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Absolutely NOT your fault John....Facebook is to blame...Everybody has emigrated over there because the world feckin demands it now....

We are all actually forced to use Facebook in the modern era which is very sad as the damn thing is plain toxic at times...

Facebook is now a necessary evil in life just like mobile phones and cars...

The even more unfortunate thing about Facebook fish keeping groups is that half the info on there is complete and utter crap...I cringe at some of the stuff ive read...Luckily I learned all I know through this Forum over the many years Ive been keeping fish and am so much wiser for it...

Thanks for everything John...

More
01 Nov 2017 09:03 #15 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I'm not on Facebook it's absolute poison

Facebook is Facebook it's built be a custom descussion board why have that shit when you can have the real thing here (That was built by fishkeepers)

For fishkeepers it's a no brainer.

I was on the night shift last night machine was down so I had a bit of time at the pc I decided to scroll through old posts on here.

People talking people asking questions people asking other people's opinions on what fish to get or what way to change their tank around

Posting pictures of their tanks

Posting pictures of their fish

And to be honest I don't know if it's the 24 hours without sleep but it's really sad and kind of upsetting I have been on this forum a long time on and off through good times in life and extremely bad times and this forum defenitly helped me through a lot of the bad times and the hobbie in general.

All it would take is a small bit of effort from every member on here to bring the forum back to greatness.

Something small to see who really wants the forum to succeed a little effort by Friday every member who want s to be active on here regardless of how many people you know introduce yourself and the fish you keep and how many tanks you have with lots and lots of pictures and videos.

Try get the forum back to basics people talking about their fish what fish they have on their wish list what they want to keep in the future ect ECT ect.

It's not as if we are stuck for anything to talk about we all have the one thing in common that brought us here in the first place.

:pinch:

Now I need to get some sleep hahahahahahah

Another night shift awaits me in a few hours.

Regards

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

More
01 Nov 2017 12:34 #16 by JohnH (John)
It's a valid point you raise in your post, Craig - although I have raised this before it's worth another mention.
Going back to every post which has ever been made on this - and every other Forum is as easy and using the 'Search' facility. As far as I'm aware this is nowhere near as simple for members of the plethora of facebook groups, it might even be impossible.

In the longer term perhaps that might just sound their death-knolls too, bringing about a resurgence of this and other ailing Fora - who knows? We can but hope...

And Eddy, you are SO right, I sometimes look through the posts on discussion groups (yes, even the ones 'closed' to non-members - there are ways and means...) and am, like you, sometimes appalled at some of the rubbish I see there.

John

ITFS member.

More
01 Nov 2017 14:47 - 01 Nov 2017 14:48 #17 by alan 64 (alan)
Good idea craig i will.defo do that once i have time maybee not bye friday the missus is about to pop so im a bit flat out, hopefully i can keep the kids off facebook but i doubth it ha but i will be defo passing on the knowledge of fishkeeping i have learnt on this forum and hopefully one day they will be on here 2
Last edit: 01 Nov 2017 14:48 by alan 64 (alan). Reason: Spelling

More
03 Nov 2017 18:03 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
On the subjuct of facebook that i dont know much about is there any way we can advertise the forum on there and maybee attract some new members this way and put some new life into the forum

More
03 Nov 2017 20:03 #19 by robert (robert carter)
Good idea ,

More
03 Nov 2017 23:25 #20 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
We could talk to more pet stores and ask them to promote our forum.

More
04 Nov 2017 11:31 #21 by JohnH (John)

On the subjuct of facebook that i dont know much about is there any way we can advertise the forum on there and maybee attract some new members this way and put some new life into the forum

Alan, although there is an ITFS page on facebook which I 'sort of' administrate also, there is little traffic on that either.

However, when anyone does post on it I try to take the opportunity to point them to the Forum here, plus there are links as well in this direction.
Indeed, one of our (now unfortunately lapsed) members put a link on another (closed to non-members of that group) facebook group page to us here. I don't know if that did result in any new applications but the thought was there.

Your suggestion, though, is a good one so I urge any of our members who might be members of facebook group pages (fish-orientated ones in particular) to perhaps do a bit of canvassing on our behalf.

John

ITFS member.

More
04 Nov 2017 11:39 #22 by JohnH (John)

We could talk to more pet stores and ask them to promote our forum.

Another good suggestion, at one point or another they were all supplied with Club posters which they were asked to display but who knows if any actually did?

I'll see about getting more posters made but in the meantime it would help immensely if you, and any other interested Forum members, would 'spread the gospel' - so to speak - when you visit your LFSs. Maybe anyone who would be prepared to do this could add your names and the shops you plan to ask for help to a list, this way we can have an idea of which shops have been asked and which ones need to be targeted.

John

ITFS member.

More
04 Nov 2017 16:26 #23 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
It’s snide remarks that you have slipped in over the years like your stepping aside so paul can take over and prove his finger pointing right. The idea of this site was to help people with fish keeping questions and share our experiences but for some reason that always seemed to turn in to people bitching and moaning at each other that’s what I don’t like. I personally know a few people who joined this forum and left because of this reason. John Instead of being someone that’s just there to make sure things are running smoothly and commenting on you specialized subject etc your involved in absolutely everything on the site which can take away from your genuinely good advice. I certainly never implied my opinion was anything else other than my own. Maybe it’s just time for a little shake up to try get the interest going again. I certainly don’t intend to try get involved in an administrative role

More
04 Nov 2017 22:00 - 05 Nov 2017 11:30 #24 by JohnH (John)
Paul, as any forum is about having and expressing opinions let's leave it that you've had and expressed yours and just move on.

Can we please have some more suggestions on what we might do to bring the Forum activity back?

In fact, what I will do is start a new thread so whoever wants to make more can post them there.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 05 Nov 2017 11:30 by JohnH (John). Reason: correction

More
05 Nov 2017 07:28 #25 by Mallet (Barry Fitzpatrick)
Not sure if this would work, but what about this fourm starting a utube channel; as I said I don't know how these things work but I find I get a lot of info from utube, but would like to see some local faces (Irish ) there.

More
05 Nov 2017 11:28 - 05 Nov 2017 11:31 #26 by JohnH (John)
Although a good suggestion Mallet, the snag I can see to doing this would be whether or not members would be prepared to make and contribute videos for a youtube channel.

If enough members are willing and happy to do this the option can be investigated.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 05 Nov 2017 11:31 by JohnH (John). Reason: correction

More
05 Nov 2017 13:31 #27 by robert (robert carter)
I wouldcertainly be interested , but you already know i dont know my way around a computor, so would need help with it

More
05 Nov 2017 17:14 #28 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
I would be interested in part taking myself

More
07 Nov 2017 18:08 #29 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
What ever we are doing we have to take action quickly

More
07 Nov 2017 21:30 #30 by JohnH (John)

What ever we are doing we have to take action quickly

Indeed, so far we have received two tentative suggestions. Posters are being looked into and likewise is the possibility of starting a youtube channel as an offshoot to the Forum.

Robert and yourself have indicated an interest in this latter topic but what we would be needing are videos - and not just one or two - there seems little point in getting a channel set up with little or no forthcoming videos to upload onto it.

To make this work we will need content - please.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds