Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Part of thread moved

More
07 Nov 2017 21:41 #31 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
We would need like 5 people to start us off properly, we could do pet store visits, new stock in lps, product reviews, small diy projects , fish care videos etc. We will have to have someone lead everyone, i.e. Give out topics and organise the videos, I think that should be u John.

We could have some do teach about aquascaping, like there is alot of opportunities for content we just need committed people

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2017 21:56 - 07 Nov 2017 21:57 #32 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Hello everone.
Quite, but what we need first are the volunteers to allocate tasks to.

And, I guess, suggestions of the tasks to be allocated.

So, volunteers and suggestions are being requested.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2017 21:57 by JohnH (John). Reason: correction

More
08 Nov 2017 10:42 #33 by JohnH (John)
The best solution I have been able to come up with regarding setting up a Club youtube channel is this:

Primarily you each set up your own personal youtube channel, then we can set up an ITFS youtube 'mother' channel and create a playlist of videos from your own channels (which you will send me the links to).
This will save the need for me to be transferring big video files through my laptop will solve password issues too.

So, get filming and uploading and when this has been done the ITFS channel will be created to add your masterpieces to it.

John

ITFS member.

More
08 Nov 2017 17:03 #34 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Wouldn't it be easier if we all just used 1 account and logged in to it

More
08 Nov 2017 17:42 #35 by JohnH (John)
Let's try it this way (which was recommended to me first - this way the only links which will go onto the channel will be vetted 'legit' ones.

John

ITFS member.

More
18 Nov 2017 16:26 #36 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Replied by Bill (Bill Hunter) on topic Hello everone.
Warning, this is a long post. Not intended as argumentative but to open debate.

First of all, I'm shocked and appalled at how this thread started. I was then pleased to see it quickly diverted away from the negative and into more positive posts. So that's good.

As for a YouTube channel, I would not really be in favour of that - just yet.
Before we get into such an ambitious scheme we need to get the forum itself back on track.
Why am I against a YouTube channel?
John has worked very hard keeping the photography competition running. I did my own part in ensuring that it continued running. Nowhere near the work John put in, but I did some. Some very good prizes were offered for the monthly comps by members and sponsors, but no matter what, people just didn't want to enter. The same three people (?) correct me if I'm wrong, John), one of whom was myself, were the only entrants. I think that once a year (again correct me if I'm wrong) the competition was a 1 minute video. I think around two, perhaps three entries were received after postponing it over a couple of months to allow more to enter. But others just had no interest.
After that the competition was paused. Several months ago I went out on a limb requesting John reinstate the photo comp. to try and stir up interest. After several people showed great interest John agreed to start it again. I regret that I had a part in asking John to reinstate it because it actually showed what he already knew, that people weren't interested.
If members can't be bothered looking through their albums for ten minutes and spending a further 5 minutes emailing the photos to John, then why would they be interested in taking a one or two minute video, editing it, then putting it forward to the forum YouTube channel? I'm already following several members' YouTube accounts and not one of them have uploaded a new video for at least 14 months! I really don't think that sufficient people will be truly committed to such a programme.
Several months ago, maybe longer, a suggestion was put forward for a forum area for members' live webcam links. I was in favour as well because I'm setting up a camera system of 8 cameras in my fish room. Wiring etc. is problematic, mainly because I thought I had purchased Wi-Fi cameras but I had in fact bought wired cameras, being disabled, setting up is physically difficult, but it will be completed. Only Robert ever posted a link - unless I've missed others - and I used to look in at least weekly. I misplaced the log-in details for it so it's been a while since I had a peak. Perhaps he doesn't run it anymore. But the point is, again it failed due to lack of commitment from those that were excited initially.
I think that before such a programme starts members should show how they committed they will be by requesting the photo comp be reinstated for at least six months with three of the competitions being for photographs and three being 1 minute videos. Whether that fails or succeeds will show the commitment that people will have for a YouTube account. I for one will not put my neck on the block again by asking for this to happen, I'm merely sowing the seed for others.
What the forum needs first and foremost is for people to start taking part and writing. It doesn't need much, just a few sentences on what you are keeping/breeding. What your doing with, or for, your fish may just be the tiny bit of information that someone was needing. Whatever you do with your fish is not wrong nor right but what is working for you.
I think that the forum needs input from all, not just one or two; but all.
The forum could be lost. It will not be John's fault, it won't be Darragh's fault, it won't be the moderators fault, but it will be the fault of those who want and don't give.
I set up a forum and blog in June 2004. It worked great for years, but in 2014 it started showing a distinct lack of input from members. Members stopped logging in. It had nothing to do with how the forum operated but how many people were giving up on forums turning to Facebook. It's the "in-thing" But I offer my 2cents worth by saying I personally don't think Facebook will continue as it does. Believe it or not, what I see in the younger generation now is a reluctance to engage with Facebook, they don't really care about it. We have to accept that Facebook is there and that we will lose members to it, so we need to quit worrying about Facebook and the bad information spouted there and get our own house in order and bring people back.
How about, instead of asking what the forum will do for you, ask what you can do for the forum. And, let's walk before we run.
Now having said all that, I have to ask myself, do the members have a commitment to operating a YouTube channel? Personally, I doubt it because the discussion on it stopped once John done the necessary homework 10 days ago and it has just been left at that; a non-runner.
Bill

More
18 Nov 2017 17:35 #37 by robert (robert carter)
Hi Bill , a great post and i agree with ever word . You mention my webcam it is still on line , however withnew curtains on the front room window its view is blocked . As you know my new project is under way and in fact have just sent a couple of photos to John to post on the forum . I will be puting a new camera faceing onto the new tanks shortly and will of coarse supply the forum withlog in details , the new camera will have to be wirless . I perrsonally wouldnt be wear i am without the help of the very knowledgeably people on this forum , always had great advise , some i took some i didnt , but never did iget a single negative post . I know one excuse for the demise of theforum was that at this stage every subject has been covered . This is certainly not true , everyone experience is slightly different . So all lets see some updates on projects members have done over the years. Sorry for the rant

More
19 Nov 2017 12:39 #38 by JohnH (John)
Some very relevant and excellently-put points there Bill, hopefully it can shake some of the 'less active' Forum members out of their lethargy.

John

ITFS member.

More
04 Dec 2017 00:47 #39 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I for one have being hiding in the background and I say there is a few others apart from myself but if i can be of any help I will do YouTube videos or anything to help the forum I be happy to help out.

Something fishie going on here

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds