Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

IT'S SHOW TIME

More
17 Jul 2012 22:35 - 18 Jul 2012 20:59 #1 by john gannon (John Gannon)
As some of you may know The Irish tropical fish society will be holding an open fish show on the 19th of August in the st.Aengus community centre in tymon north Dublin 24.
The show is open to everybody and anybody can bench (show) fish and your fish will be judged against fish in there catogery were there will be places for 1st 2nd and 3rd ,there will be trophies and medals presented and then there will be an overall best fish in show were a perpetual trophy is presented to the winner.you can enter as many fish as you like and there is an entry fee of €2.50 per fish with a maximum fee of €10.There will be an online entry form coming in to effect very soon,so why not enter some of the beautiful fish we know yous all posses and show them off to everyone.Benching of fish takes place on the Saturday from 5.20pm.and all you have to bring is enough water for a tank and well supply the tank and take care of your beauties.
There will also be some of our sponsors thee with stalls and plenty of raffles with some great prizes on offer .There is usually a kids corner with colouring to keep them busy.
There is a small cover charge of €5 per person or €8 for a family of 4.
This show has been a great success in the past and is really a great day out for all the family were we also get to talk fish.
Any questions just ask
Regards
John Gannon Itfs chairperson
Ps.we will also be looking for volunteers to help set up and take down the staging and move over 100 show tanks.

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER
Last edit: 18 Jul 2012 20:59 by john gannon (John Gannon).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2012 20:37 #2 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Sorry guys
I forgot to mention the herpelogical society will be there with some specimens and for a chat
John

More
18 Jul 2012 22:44 #3 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Keep an eye and an ear out on all the popular media for mentions of the show over the next few weeks - and please let us all know when/where you see or hear it!!!!

Don't forget volunteers and help are always most welcome to help setup the venue so don't be shy and help all us hobbyists in promoting this great hobby :)

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
19 Jul 2012 17:27 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
We'll be there in multiple capacities: as ITFS members, as (hopefully) fish show contestants, and with the H.S.I.

I am not too sure what the H.S.I. theme will be, but whatever it is there should be a good room to chat about fish keeping with the H.S.I. and about dart frogs etc or many other things.
We will also have some microscopes if anyone wants to ask about the subject as well.

Last time the H.S.I. were kindly invited by the ITFS, we set a theme of "From Water to Land" and displayed species not often seen on show benches such as Lungfish, Mudskippers, Mole Salamnders, Leaf Frogs, and, of course, a Dart Frog set-up.
That display even got us a ticket for to be mentioned in newspapers all around the world as well as on the front page of the Irish Times.

So, myself and Justine are certainly looking forward to the show and this time we will more a part of the ITFS.

Hope to meet many of you guys and ladies on here on the day. Have a chat and a meet-n-greet.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
19 Jul 2012 17:34 #5 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

We'll be there in multiple capacities: as ITFS members, as (hopefully) fish show contestants, and with the H.S.I.

I am not too sure what the H.S.I. theme will be, but whatever it is there should be a good room to chat about fish keeping with the H.S.I. and about dart frogs etc or many other things.
We will also have some microscopes if anyone wants to ask about the subject as well.

Last time the H.S.I. were kindly invited by the ITFS, we set a theme of "From Water to Land" and displayed species not often seen on show benches such as Lungfish, Mudskippers, Mole Salamnders, Leaf Frogs, and, of course, a Dart Frog set-up.
That display even got us a ticket for to be mentioned in newspapers all around the world as well as on the front page of the Irish Times.

So, myself and Justine are certainly looking forward to the show and this time we will more a part of the ITFS.

Hope to meet many of you guys and ladies on here on the day. Have a chat and a meet-n-greet.

ian

great to hear Ian.

Looking Forward to it

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
19 Jul 2012 22:20 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
I would like to volunteer to help, if you need my help in any way id be delighted to help out

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
22 Jul 2012 12:18 #7 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Thanks Jeff
We need all the help we can get on the Saturday morning for the setting up and Sunday evening for dismantling everything .were generally in the hall from about 9am so just if you can just show up when you can that would be great.
John

More
24 Jul 2012 17:24 - 24 Jul 2012 17:25 #8 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
only 26 days to go to the Show Weekend.
If you want more information about the show or benching/entering fish - how it works - how it all comes together - then just let me know and I'll answer your question
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 17:25 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe).

More
24 Jul 2012 21:31 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: IT'S SHOW TIME

only 26 days to go to the Show Weekend.
If you want more information about the show or benching/entering fish - how it works - how it all comes together - then just let me know and I'll answer your question
Andrew

Here is a small post from Derek (senior Show Judge) giving advice about entering Fish, there are other links, which I will try to find presently.

John

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...0-showing-fish#13600

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
24 Jul 2012 21:34 #10 by JohnH (John)
Here's another, hopefully it will work.

John :angel:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...-on-how-to-show-fish

ITFS member.

More
28 Jul 2012 22:25 - 28 Jul 2012 22:26 #11 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
spotted - big thanks to SDCT

South Dublin County Tourism - ITFS event

ITFS Club Secretary
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jul 2012 22:26 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe).

More
29 Jul 2012 08:26 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

spotted - big thanks to SDCT

South Dublin County Tourism - ITFS event

Cheers for that.

Shared on FaceBook.

More
29 Jul 2012 14:40 #13 by JohnH (John)
I must say that response from Forum members is pretty disappointing, to say the least.
The Show is really only ever going to be as good as the effort people are prepared to put into it!
I acknowledge that other offers of help to stage/dismantle the event may have been made by PM but openly on the Forum there would only appear to be two firm offers.

Of course the "Usual Suspects" will be there, but why on earth should this all be left just to them?

On a lighter note I'm after trying to encourage as many of you all as possible to think about actually showing ("benching") some Fish. It really isn't Rocket Science - all anyone needs to do is to look at their Fish, decide which are "Prized" specimens and send off details of it/them to Andrew then just fetch them along on the Saturday late afternoon/evening prior to the Show. It costs very little to enter and - who knows - your "Prized" pride and joy could end up as a Prize Winner in its own right.

There are very few rules to follow and those which are there are all sensible ones. Your Fish will be well looked after overnight by experienced Fish-Keepers - we didn't lose one entry last Show - every Show Tank will be supplied with air from the Club's aerators so it would be really nice for many more of you to boost the amount of entries. It's really good fun and you will get the chance to meet the other "Competitors" and talk about Fish with them, and this is something we all like to do, isn't it?

There have been some interesting posts on the Forum down the years, which shouldn't take too much finding with the "Search" facility.

I'll start the "suggestions" ball rolling by suggesting that any Fish to be entered are best not fed in the 24-hour period prior to "Benching" as Fish have a habit of excreting (you know what) and while this isn't a problem in your home tanks as it's dealt with by your filtration, the (you know what) quickly makes the water in the smaller Show Tanks go cloudy which definitely detracts from the presentation of the Fish when it comes to be judged. So a day without food won't do any harm to the Fish, but the day of fasting gives it a chance to clear everything from its internals.

Perhaps others would like to add other hints and tips regarding Showing their Fish - this is a start, so come on lads...get posting your advice.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jul 2012 19:39 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Thanks Jeff
We need all the help we can get on the Saturday morning for the setting up and Sunday evening for dismantling everything .were generally in the hall from about 9am so just if you can just show up when you can that would be great.
John

yeah sound john il be their at 9am on the saturday no probs glad to help

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
29 Jul 2012 20:49 #15 by john gannon (John Gannon)
@jeff fair play see you there

@john h bring as much of your tank water as you can ,although we will have water ready it's best to use as much of your own as possible.
And get your fish there as early as possible the more time they have to settle the better they will look
John

More
29 Jul 2012 21:10 #16 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Carrying on with JohnH's bits on tips....

Place some PolyFilter or other non-dusty adsorbant in the bag when transporting fish (I use JBL NitrEx in a stocking bag). I wouldn't use normal ammonia adsorbing zeolite as it produces loads of dust.

If you think a fish has a chance, then bench it. Let the judges decide.

For anyone new to showing fish, don't think the fish has to be a fancy or rare or a big species.....a high quality zebra danio is well worth benching.

Then the practicalities........bring extra fish bags (burst bags...who is bringing Corys?...happen), extra rubber bands, think about getting the fish into and out of the show tanks with minimum stress (eg don't be stuck without a net or other means to get the fish from one thing to another).

I'm not gonna hog this with a big list.........so note other hints-n-tips and read the links that JohnH put up.

...one more....have a great day out.

ian

More
29 Jul 2012 21:12 #17 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
I Should Be there lads, Im workin on the Saturday otherwise I would have offered to help, Sorry Guys, But im looking forward to seeing some beautiful specimens,
Cant Wait!!

Stephen M.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
29 Jul 2012 22:02 - 29 Jul 2012 22:09 #18 by JohnH (John)

Thanks Jeff
John

yeah sound john il be their at 9am on the saturday no probs glad to help

Jeff,
It's really good that you are offering, but I suspect that if you turn up at 9am on Saturday (unless you've been told otherwise) that you might be the only one there?

Confirmation required?

John

Just goes to show how important it is to FULLY read preceding posts before jumping in feet first, looks like there will be people (well, JohnG at least) there that early on Saturday.
Silly me. :whistle:

ITFS member.

Last edit: 29 Jul 2012 22:09 by JohnH (John). Reason: rectified a mistake

More
29 Jul 2012 22:05 #19 by JohnH (John)

I Should Be there lads, Im workin on the Saturday otherwise I would have offered to help, Sorry Guys, But im looking forward to seeing some beautiful specimens,
Cant Wait!!

Stephen M.

Stephen,
Don't forget - just as much help will be needed to take down the exhibition on Sunday, after the Show so all help will be gratefully accepted.

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Jul 2012 22:22 #20 by john gannon (John Gannon)
@Stephen m its great you can make it on sunday you can still help by benching fish :silly: and as john said taking down the staging on sunday
john

More
30 Jul 2012 09:58 - 30 Jul 2012 10:04 #21 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
i'll be there early on Saturday too & don't forget to complete the forms for entering fish - it helps us plan layouts of tanks and create lists for the judges...

All we need are your contact details and details of the fish you are showing - there are drop-down lists and prompts on the form to help you fill it out. The online forms accepts 10 entries and sure you don't have to enter the details all at once - when you decide what fish you want to bench fill out the form and when you decide on some more just click on the link and enter the details, you also get a confirmation email reply of your entries .. couldn't be easier !!

Here is the online form link
Online Entry Form link

We can also email you an entry form to fill it out off-line, just email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we'll reply with a doc version.

For further information and links see the ITFS info tab above (just below the forum title picture)

Andrew
see my signature for more links ....

ITFS Club Secretary
Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 10:04 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe).

More
30 Jul 2012 22:04 - 30 Jul 2012 22:34 #22 by john gannon (John Gannon)
hopefully we will be able to do a special draw for all the online entries .this is to try and get everyone to enter online as it will reduce the paperwork on the weekend by 50% so we can all enjoy , now which fish are getting a weekend pass :woohoo:
john

Last edit: 30 Jul 2012 22:34 by john gannon (John Gannon).

More
30 Jul 2012 22:44 #23 by JohnH (John)
I think that everyone ought to make their entries online, even I might. :evil:

It really will help with the Show preparation as well...you've enough to be doing, without having to sort out entries, appropriate-sized tanks etc etc. :woohoo:

JohnH

ITFS member.

More
30 Jul 2012 23:33 #24 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
@ JohnH - i'll expect quite a few forms from you do !!

@ John Gannon - Great news :)

I'm going to compile my list during the week, now that I know what my stock numbers are !!

ITFS Club Secretary

More
31 Jul 2012 13:34 #25 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
Im in John see u then Regards Johney

More
31 Jul 2012 19:34 #26 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Good man johnny

More
31 Jul 2012 21:19 #27 by john gannon (John Gannon)
I've spent the evening having a look at what I might bench ,if I do bench them all I'll probably not be able to set up on the Saturday I'll be spending it catching fish I think I'm going to have to put a limit on myself :woohoo:

More
31 Jul 2012 21:46 #28 by derek (Derek Doyle)
Replied by derek (Derek Doyle) on topic IT'S SHOW TIME
In a class with twenty entries there may be only 10 points between first and last, so it is important to give your own entry the best chance by catching the fish as cleanly as possible. Damaged eyes, fins or scales can cost an otherwise perfect fish several valuable points also foreign bodies or dirty water can lose more points. Try to use soft nets or plastic tubs and move fish quickly from home tank to bag or bucket, avoiding too much flapping about out of water. Bigger fish are more susceptible to being damaged when being moved but a little extra care will help avoid such problems.
Good presentation can be the difference between the winners and non winners.

30 tanks specialise in african cichlids, angelfish and various catfish

More
31 Jul 2012 21:46 #29 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic IT'S SHOW TIME

"I've spent the evening having a look at what I might bench ,if I do bench them all I'll probably not be able to set up on the Saturday I'll be spending it catching fish I think I'm going to have to put a limit on myself"

I used to have a lot of Fish - once upon a time...

Still, it'll be nice to see all of yours instead... :evil:

JohnH

ITFS member.

More
01 Aug 2012 19:40 #30 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Thanks for positing this derek ,i was thinking of bringing a large ca cichlid do you think it would be possible to catch the fish in a large container or would a net for koi be better
John

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds