Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Home made foods

More
13 Nov 2012 20:07 #1 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
Hey fish tank folks,

This is a bit of a fact finding post, Is flake food enough for my fish? what should I be supplementing if its not?

I was thinking of maybe giving homemade a go and was wondering,

How many of you make their own food?

What recipes you have?

What ingredients you use and why?

Here is an interesting recipes i found online

www.loaches.com/articles/home-cooking-your-own-frozen-fishfood

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2012 20:31 #2 by snaphappy (john)
Replied by snaphappy (john) on topic Home made foods
Hey laurence i feed my chiclids prawns or red meat or whatever im cooking at home i also chop up some garlic the fish go mad for it.

More
13 Nov 2012 20:42 #3 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
Hey John, Garlic is something I wouldn't have thought to feed them.......I must add it to the recipe list ;)

More
13 Nov 2012 20:49 #4 by Mike53 (Michael)
Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic Home made foods
My Geophagus eat chopped up prawns from my hand. They also like shelled peas and occasionally I drop in a thick slice of cucumber which my flying foxs love.

More
13 Nov 2012 20:51 #5 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
Do you blanch the cucumber first or drop it raw?

More
13 Nov 2012 21:00 #6 by Mike53 (Michael)
Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic Home made foods
Drop it in raw about half an inch thick and there's usually not much left by the next day, just a bit of skin. I blanch spinach and drop that in too.

More
13 Nov 2012 21:30 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
garlic is like a fish tonic :)
i give in garlic and cucumber but i wouldn't leave the cucumber in for any more than 2 days or so.
predators get prawns although i wouldn't class them as home made foods i will hopefully be preparing carnivore pellets similar to this video to try if i can source the ingrediants...

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
13 Nov 2012 23:08 - 13 Nov 2012 23:12 #8 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
I also found this one, a lot easier stuff to do, sinking type
Do it yoursef fish food for meat lovers
Last edit: 13 Nov 2012 23:12 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas).

More
14 Nov 2012 01:37 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
heres one i did earlier
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...29033-home-made-food

also take a look at our articles section some good info there
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...51-foods-and-feeding

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
14 Nov 2012 18:49 #10 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
So that has given me a bit to think about, thanks for the input chaps, I thought we would have a few more DIY food makers. I might give it a go soon and see if the fish approve of my culinary skills :P

If there are any more of you DIY food makers out there please share the recipe's you have had success or failures with

More
14 Nov 2012 19:01 - 14 Nov 2012 19:02 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)

So that has given me a bit to think about, thanks for the input chaps, I thought we would have a few more DIY food makers. I might give it a go soon and see if the fish approve of my culinary skills :P

If there are any more of you DIY food makers out there please share the recipe's you have had success or failures with

might have something to do with our women not enjoying the mess left in the kitchen, not to mention the smell :lol:
mine always holds her nose when i feed prawn so i know i'll have to send her outa the house for a few hrs :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 14 Nov 2012 19:02 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
14 Nov 2012 19:54 #12 by lawrenceog (Lawrence O Gorman)
Its always a fine balancing act between the fish tanks and the women folk LOL! I just set up a third tank and this one the misses gets to decide on layout fish etc. and I do all the work on it. I think it was a stroke of genius on my part ;) I got a third tank and no grief from her good self

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds