Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Need ideas for plant setup for beginner

More
24 Feb 2014 21:02 #1 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
When I started I used real plants after losing 50 euro on plants I realised I was supposed to add drops for them and co2 so I gave up and bought plastic.

I am using plastic plants ATM but am sick of looking at them (accidentally killed a Cory when I removed them for cleaning) I now want to give real a try again. I want to plant a 100 litre aquarium but need help with specific requirements as I would like to get it right. I have bogwood and sand no co2 not sure on lighting that can be changed and would need to be hardy. I am open to co2 but have some questions. Is it expensive? How long does it last? Does it have to be renewed or can I top it up? Are top ups pricey?

Can anyone start me off on a basic setup that my gourami's would like thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2014 22:00 - 24 Feb 2014 22:02 #2 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Not sure if I can help you since I'm a newbie too (who spent a lot of money in plants that died).
I have T8 bulbs and no CO2 system, just add easy carbo daily and easy profito weekly. This are some of the plants I have in my tank and are doing pretty well:

- Java Fern, you can tie it to rock or wood, I bough one pot and now have 3 parts, is easy to split.
- Hygrophila polysperma, bright green grows like crazy I have to trim it weekly, you can plant the stems are will have another plant soon, if you look at my tank is the one at the back and in the center.
- Hydrocotyle tripartita, this one is beautiful for a bush style, you can trim it and plant the stems too.
- Staurogyne repens, I have the variety 1-2 grow which is very nice for creating a carpet.
- Limnophila Aromatica Hippuroides, this one is beautiful and grows very quick, offcuts can be planted again.
- Anubias barteri nana 'petite', another perfect for getting attached to stones or wood.
- Heteranthera zosterifolia or stargrass, this one is really awesome, you can create a bush very bright with this one, as the others you can plant the offcuts.
- Eleocharis acicularis, you can create a grass carpet with that one or leave it for the middle of the tank without trimming it. But I'd recommed you go for eleocharis parvula mini if you want a carpet because that variety doesn't grow as tall at that one.
- Althernanthera Reineckii 'Rot' if you want to add some red, also you can plant the offcuts.
- Micranthemum umbrosum another bright green nice for creaing a bush.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 22:02 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera).

More
24 Feb 2014 22:38 #3 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Thanks for the help I'm getting a 240 litre with two T8 bulbs in the next two weeks so I might give that tank plants I was looking into Anubis and Java fern an hour ago they look nice I think il give them a go first and work down your list is it expensive for the carbo and profito how often do you have to renew them. Thanks again for the help.

More
24 Feb 2014 23:02 #4 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
I bought them both 2 or 3 months ago and still have for some months, the ones I bought are the 250ml and are between 9 - 11 € each bottle depending on the lfs.
I use 3 ml of easycarbo daily and 15 ml of easy profito weekly.

More
24 Feb 2014 23:17 #5 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I was expecting a lot more I'll pick them up soon an move to new tank later if needed thanks for all the info my local fish shop is seahorse they usually good for stuff so I will try there first.

More
24 Feb 2014 23:17 - 24 Feb 2014 23:18 #6 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I bought them both 2 or 3 months ago and still have for some months, the ones I bought are the 250ml and are between 9 - 11 € each bottle depending on the lfs.
I use 3 ml of easycarbo daily and 15 ml of easy profito weekly.

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 23:18 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

More
24 Feb 2014 23:23 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
great info i didn't know this i was adding easycarbo only once a week by its self and never know why the plants
wouldn't grow.

Something fishie going on here

More
13 Mar 2014 16:44 #8 by luas (Lewis Johnston)
There is a wide variety of plants to chose from for a low maintenance or beginner tank lots of which have been mentioned above.Plants such as Anubais and Java fern are rhizome plants which do not need to be planted or if ever planted.
As in terms of Co2 you will get away with growing most lights without it as long as you have decent lighting.I do not and have never used Co2 but it does have some benefits as well as more lush and speedy plant growth.
luas

More
13 Mar 2014 18:26 #9 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Going through a move at the min with several fish so have not got around to planting yet. Managed to pick up easy carbo and profito today also got my hands on some Anubis aswell so il see how that works out. Also I don't mind about growth just survival :D.

More
13 Mar 2014 18:57 #10 by luas (Lewis Johnston)
Good stuff,let us know how the tank comes along
luas

More
24 Jan 2016 10:05 #11 by JaytheChef (Jay Keating)
Good advice there.
Researching new tank planting as well.
Haven't a clue about planting plants so glad to read this.

More
29 Jan 2016 16:23 #12 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
There's a problem with easy life profito. It doesn't contain the essential elements nitrate and phosphate. These elements are essential to healthy plant growth.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds