Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

tank on a windowsill

More
26 Feb 2014 03:28 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
quick question...

has anyone tried growing plants in a tank on a window sill or very near a window, without additional light? I'm thinking of trying to grow vallisneria tortifolia in a tall nano tank on a windowsill that gets no direct sunlight. any thoughts?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2014 06:54 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic tank on a windowsill
The light in even a north facing window is many many times that three feet away from the window, the intensity on a bright day would be hundreds of times the strength and quality of the best lighting system so Algae would be an issue.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Feb 2014 08:56 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I wouldnt place it on the windowsill due to algea growth problems (unless theres adequate algea control in it) but maybe close to the window would suffice?

More
26 Feb 2014 09:53 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have a small tank near the window it only gets sun light for a few hours
you will only have to worry about algae but its easy to clean with a small sponge .
every second day its raining so u wont have to worried about them lol

Something fishie going on here

More
26 Feb 2014 10:10 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic tank on a windowsill
I have three tanks in a conservatory lit only by natural light - they're fine this time of year, but as the year goes on and days become longer again - and sun gets higher in the sky and stronger - algae becomes ridiculous, blanket-weed! (The only plant-form I have any success with?).

As ever, the advice would be to give it a try - I would suggest you be prepared to rig up some sort of shading arrangement if the tank receives too much light though.

Hopefully you'll be able to reach a happy medium and will be able to grow plants successfully, it would be interesting if you could do an illustrated 'blog' showing how your experiment progresses.

John.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 Feb 2014 10:14 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Alsi or Lidle recently had shading material, sticky that was for applying to Glass for privacy, I bought some to shade my Nano Tank by a window.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Feb 2014 11:53 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
An experiment it is then...

i have the tank empty and some vallis from emptying my 180 so I'll give it a go; if it doesn't work, no loss no foul.

would running some DIY CO2 help the vallis outcompete the algae, at least for a time?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
26 Feb 2014 11:57 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I have a small tank near the window it only gets sun light for a few hours
you will only have to worry about algae but its easy to clean with a small sponge .
every second day its raining so u wont have to worried about them lol

you say that but i can see us saying in September "wow, that was the hottest summer on record! The sun didn't even set at nighttime!"
:blink: :laugh:

More
26 Feb 2014 11:58 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Throw some Lemna gibba aka Frogbit into the Tank, it grows like crazy and will eat up nutrients, it floats so will cut down any surface light if there is any that is.

Kev.

More
26 Feb 2014 15:48 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks for that idea. I'll see how the vallis gets going and maybe chuck some of that in later. I'd say I'll know fairly quickly if all this is a bad idea or not :huh:

More
26 Feb 2014 19:14 #11 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Window tint film on the rear of the tank or tje window might be an option?

More
28 Feb 2014 20:29 #12 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Window tint film on the rear of the tank or tje window might be an option?

As Hammie says I think is a suitable option, I found this in other site and seems people use it for tanks close to windows and looks nice

More
28 Feb 2014 21:29 #13 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic tank on a windowsill
i kept a planted tank on a west facing window for about a year or so i had a mix of plants in it mosses java fern and anubais nana along with some floatersand plants growing above the water. the only fish were a couple of fry i threw in and also a few shrimp ,all grew well...too well actually it ended up a mass of moss fern and anubais with very little swimming space for the fish

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
28 Feb 2014 22:33 #14 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
This sounds like a great project. Adding a heater in winter and growing moss for other tank and anubi. Great idea.

More
01 Mar 2014 08:27 #15 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I think that's a great idea,
And if I'm not mistaken homer put up a link on breeding L-144s a while ago,
And in that there was talk of a tank that had a lot of sunlight in Athens,
I think!
Anyway the guy said that the tank was green with algae and full of snails,
However the water was immaculate,
As the algae was using up all the nitrates
And the snails were helping to.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea