Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

what plants are these

More
02 May 2014 12:05 - 02 May 2014 12:06 #1 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)

What are these plants. Are they the same or subspecies. One is 10-20 times larger. Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2014 12:06 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2014 12:27 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
The top one looks like Pistia stratiotes or water lettuce. The bottom one is Salvinia natans. Not related as far as I know.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 May 2014 12:29 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic what plants are these
I'm not totally certain but pic 1 looks very much like Water Lettuce but #2...my first thought was Amazon Frogbit but I'm sure that's not right.
Hopefully someone can put a name to it?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
02 May 2014 12:48 - 02 May 2014 12:51 #4 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)

Underneath shots if big plant. Little is salvina thanks lemon...But the big one I am looking for more of it.coming on well but it's really cool. Shrimps hang out of them
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2014 12:51 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
02 May 2014 13:18 #5 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Water lettuce me thinks........anyone out there have it or know of a supplier. Cheers

More
02 May 2014 13:52 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I've heard that with water lettuce you need to have some space for them under the hood, otherwise they die off

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 May 2014 13:59 #7 by Wackoo (Niall)
I have a good bit of water lettuce, it grows huge in my tank

More
02 May 2014 14:09 #8 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Could be frigbit too. I really do not know.looks mire like frogbit

More
02 May 2014 14:30 #9 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Found this at www.plantedtank.net forum

Would like to get some frogbit, Denis tell me if you find any.

More
02 May 2014 14:38 #10 by Mike53 (Michael)
Aroshni

Artane Aquatics had a load of Amazon Frogbit when I was in about two weeks ago. Lovely plant.

Mike

More
02 May 2014 14:40 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Found this at www.plantedtank.net forum

Would like to get some frogbit, Denis tell me if you find any.

i think that photo clarifies it I think. I was going to ask, are the leaves waxy or velvety. Pistia is covered in small, fine hairs and frogbit isn't. Also, the striations on the leaves are suggestive of water lettuce

More
02 May 2014 15:15 #12 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)

Aroshni

Artane Aquatics had a load of Amazon Frogbit when I was in about two weeks ago. Lovely plant.

Mike

Thanks Mike, but thats quite far from where I live :pinch:

More
02 May 2014 15:18 #13 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
They might post

More
02 May 2014 15:49 #14 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic what plants are these
I think it's frog bit, It grows in one of tanks then I feed it to my terrapins. They love eating it!

I know seahorse had some and also Miami heat in here has some too.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
02 May 2014 16:01 #15 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I have dwarf water lettuce and frogbit in my tanks and used to have some salvinia natans.
The first picture is dwarf water lettuce, the second one is salvinia natans.
Frogbit has is dark green and glossy with really long roots.
The ones you sent me esoxlucious were dwarf water lettuce, my favourite one, the roots are beautifull.
Got sick of salvinia natans, had to compost a handfull every week.

Anthony

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds