Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Discus

More
23 Nov 2013 12:30 #1 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Discus was created by bart (Bart Korfanty)
First of all I want to stress that I never bred Discus before.

The ideas behind this little project were to try to breed Discus and show that it’s not as difficult as it may seem. To obtain offspring of so called AA grade, which is the best shape, colour and health(at least in theory).

The fish are not mine as I don’t keep Discus. Friend of mine is long term Discus enthusiast and the pair is from his stock.

The male is Red-White and the female is White Butterfly. The male was brought from Poland and the female is import from Asia bought from England.

I know that the choice of different colour strains might seem poor but in this case it should work well(I hope). Also both fish have very nice round shape.

The water I used was from RO filter with not very new media KH-2, GH-3, pH-7, filtered through turf filter media(sera I think) for few days. After that It stabilized at KH-0, GH-3, pH-6.5.

There is loads of info on breeding Discus and what and when is happening with eggs and larvae. It’s well described and documented, including what to do when the fry is not feeding from the parents(which was the issue in this case).

The parents didn't tend to larvae properly when they started to swim and I had to feed them artificially. I used liquifry no1 diluted and fed through dark air stone(wit use of small syringe). The fry was attracted to the dark colour and was “sitting” on the stone and feeding from it.

Fortunately after two days the parents took over (mostly male as he is darker) and the fry started to feed from their skin, which should happened from the beginning.

I think two things happened here. The parents are somewhat bright colouration and the fry is attracted to dark surfaces(adults usually get darker when they breed). The parents weren't producing the feeding mucus yet and the fry couldn't “smell it”.

After first week I started to feed newly hatched brine shrimp and micro worms in massive quantities. The fish were practically swimming in food most of the time.

After 2 weeks I started to feed very finely grated beef hart and chicken breast, crushed tetra prima, continuing with brine shrimp and micro worms.

Today is the end of third week since they started to swim. I culled all the abnormalities I could see. The water changes are 25-30% daily with use of tap water KH-4, GH-6, pH-7(started after week one). The fry is over 1cm now. It is no different than with other fish species I breed at this stage. Just routine of good feeding and keeping the tank clean.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2013 12:40 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Replied by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan) on topic Discus
Your some boyo Bart
Fair play,you seem to make fish breeding easy
Well done!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
23 Nov 2013 12:41 #3 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Replied by Gonefishy (Brian oneill) on topic Discus
Good stuff Bart! Keep us posted with pics too.....

More
23 Nov 2013 12:42 #4 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Replied by Gonefishy (Brian oneill) on topic Discus

Good stuff Bart! Keep us posted with pics too.....

Think I'm having an issue with my ipad as in think you included pics but I just can't see any....

More
25 Nov 2013 18:46 #5 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Replied by bart (Bart Korfanty) on topic Discus
Cheers
Will keep updates on this as usual

More
01 Jan 2014 10:21 #6 by nelsondls (david)
Replied by nelsondls (david) on topic Discus
well done mate im gonna be trying meself soon fingers it turns out as good as yours

More
05 Jan 2014 11:13 #7 by bart (Bart Korfanty)

well done mate im gonna be trying meself soon fingers it turns out as good as yours

Good luck. Just remember that you need your water bang on for eggs to develop properly

More
05 Jan 2014 11:16 - 05 Jan 2014 11:42 #8 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
8 weeks old now
Feed on beef hart, prawns, white worms, mix of dry food
Water changes are 30% daily
The size varies from 2.5 to 4.5cm with only a few from the extremes. Most are 3.5cm

Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 11:42 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
05 Jan 2014 11:31 #9 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Well done Bart. Cannot see pics though

More
06 Jan 2014 03:09 #10 by nelsondls (david)
Replied by nelsondls (david) on topic Discus
thanks mate what ph would u recommend for a breeding thank if u dont mind me asking ive been watching a lot of videos and the ph levels seem to vary from video to video i bought a ph buffer yhat keeps the ph level at 7.2 do u think that will be ok

More
06 Jan 2014 19:29 #11 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Actually none of the eggs hatched until i got the pH down to about 6.5. Another important thing is to have carbonated hardness KH(german scale) down to at least 3 or even lower. Defo forget about using pH buffer, that actually adds to KH. All u need is RO water filtered through peat media for about a week.

More
12 Feb 2014 19:21 #12 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
The fry are growing nicely(around 5cm now)
I quit the beef hart after doing large research on what to feed them
The food mix is based on chicken, fish and crustacean meat with some chickpeas, spinach, Sera vitamins(fishtamin)
In the meantime i managed to obtain fry from other pairs

More
12 Feb 2014 20:48 #13 by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera)
Replied by Aroshni (Lydia Olivera) on topic Discus
Look at them, they have grow a lot. For sure has to be a lot of work.

I like how you put all the tanks together

More
02 Apr 2014 19:14 #14 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Another small update
The growth rate slowed down somehow

More
03 Apr 2014 22:13 #15 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Replied by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire) on topic Discus
nice!

More
07 Apr 2014 17:11 #16 by dubdero (derek kearns)
Replied by dubdero (derek kearns) on topic Discus
Fair play Bart just ordered a book on discus.i read that the dark band on the skin is getting bred out of some discus and the fry find it hard to locate parents.Band around mouth area,correct me if I'm wrong.So your dark bright theory is spot on.

More
09 Apr 2014 18:38 #17 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
A lot of the bright colors are brought up artificially, there is loads of videos in the net showing how asian breeders artificially feed newly hatched discus. It causes parental instinct to disappear tho. It happened with fancy angel fish long time ago.

More
18 Aug 2014 20:25 - 18 Aug 2014 20:30 #18 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
I decided to revive this post
Finally after long time of preparation(mostly waiting until they pair up) i got me nice pair of leopards

I have another one, just paired up (san merah), fingers crossed.

Last edit: 18 Aug 2014 20:30 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
19 Nov 2014 14:35 #19 by djomla (M T)
Replied by djomla (M T) on topic Discus
Very nice looking pair,

how did you get on with babies??

Any joy with San Merah??

More
19 Nov 2014 18:42 #20 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
This batch is gone by now. New one is growing. San Merah unfortunately not so good. They are spawning on regular basis and successfully getting wigglers to swimming stage, but both parents don't secrete the feeding slime and fry are dead within 24 hours.
It's young pair so be batient is all i can do

More
19 Nov 2014 22:41 #21 by djomla (M T)
Replied by djomla (M T) on topic Discus
Yeah, when the pair is young, it can take them a bit of time...

But fry shouldn't die that quick, I had situation few times that fry are not attaching for 3-4 days, some of them do died, but some still attached after 4 days...

But pair will learn, they will get better at it..

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds