Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What have you successfully bred?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jul 2010 17:26 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
What have you successfully bred? was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering what you have intentionally bred and what you have bred unexpectedly. I really mean Fish that don't breed in the Bag you bought them in, on the way home from the LFS.

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• eire1978 (eire1978)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jul 2010 19:31 #2 by eire1978 (eire1978)
Replied by eire1978 (eire1978) on topic Re:What have you successfully bred?
i have bred bristlenose plecos and give away the badys,discus but they kept eating the eggs,blue rams breeding at the moment but have eating the eggs first two times,cockatoos laying eggs and hatching but not many fry living as i have no room and my first fish mollys alot of the fry live thats 3 or 4 years ago.My next project is angelfish.The best one to watch was the bristlenose love it

More
14 Jul 2010 19:44 #3 by tina.d (Tina Doyle)
have bred guppys, swords, platys, mollys, danios, black widows, yellow rams, kribs twice, angels but eggs eaten. am now tryin ramirezi rams.

More
14 Jul 2010 19:49 #4 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Killifish.....:laugh:
Regards
C

More
14 Jul 2010 20:46 #5 by Xeon (ioan micu)
I'm wondering if derek is going to post here :)

More
14 Jul 2010 20:52 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Spawned a few,but dont always have time or room to breed them on so they often become an expensive lunch!
bronze Corys,sterbai,guppys,mollies,endlers,cherry barbs,tiger shrimp,ammano (they need brackish to be reared so only spawned)cherry red,L144 pleco (crossbred),golden rams,german blue rams & too many snails have breed haha!
In majority of cases Ive not done alot to induce them,alot of them do it themselves,others just need the right temps,and places to lay/spawn etc..

Will be looking to do a specific shrimp project in the coming weeks/months so will see how that goes.
Also got the thumbs up last night to upgrade the tank in the sitting room to around 450 litres.

Gavin

More
14 Jul 2010 20:59 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Really only fish and shrimps that only need water to breed.I think the species I was most delighted with spawning was Alestopetersius caudalis - Yellowtail Congo Tetra.
I had a pair of Corydoras oiapoquensis that spawned,but I couldnt save the eggs,that was 3yr ago,before the latest influx.They were very very hard to come by then.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
14 Jul 2010 21:22 #8 by r2potat2 (Derek Martin)
i currently have about 30 fry from swordtails and mollies and palaties and will move onto the egg layers after the fry have grown and i can move them on so any tips on fish choice send it my way

More
14 Jul 2010 22:01 #9 by dar (darren curry)
Fishowner wrote:

Also got the thumbs up last night to upgrade the tank in the sitting room to around 450 litres.

with all the fish deaths happening lately it's great to hear some good news, congrats mate i know how hard an arm they can be to twist

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
14 Jul 2010 22:18 #10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Yup,indeed it was the tv show from seahorses that got her going about it.She said she'd love to have a bigger tank in the front room! I nearly jumped on her when I heard it!!!Whoo hoo!
Only condition was that its to be filled with lots of small fish...but she knows Im mad for small fish anyhow so looks like Im sorted!(Although she may have said it to keep me happy cos she knows Id prob fill it with smaller fish anyhow!).
Still dont know what to fill it with!Anyhow must price around first,might get a custom one build if the base I have allows me to get around 400 litres or so...will just have to wait and see.

She even toyed with the idea of going marine on it but I'll do abit more freshwater yet before I cross that hurdle!

Gavin

More
15 Jul 2010 02:09 #11 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Puddlefish wrote:

Regards
C

I got some Killifish eggs on E-bay once and hatched them but they died in under a week. Don't know what I did wrong.
I've bred and raised siamese fighters (have fry at the moment),angelfish, blue gouramis, golden gouramis, pearl gouramis, paradise fish, Kribensis and convict ciclids. I gave the convicts away because they just wouldn't STOP breeding.

More
15 Jul 2010 09:43 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Jaffacakehead wrote:

Puddlefish wrote:

Regards
C

I got some Killifish eggs on E-bay once and hatched them but they died in under a week. Don't know what I did wrong.
I've bred and raised siamese fighters (have fry at the moment),angelfish, blue gouramis, golden gouramis, pearl gouramis, paradise fish, Kribensis and convict ciclids. I gave the convicts away because they just wouldn't STOP breeding.

Well if you managed to get the e-bay eggs to hatch then you cracked 90% of the problem.
Depending upon species of Killi, some fry require infusoria in quite lareg amounts within the first week if they are to survive or do well. Other fry will do OK on brine shrimp or sprintails.
Assuming that there was no camalanus worm or velvet, then small enough food may have been a problem. My guess...as those three things are often the biggest problem with killis.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Jul 2010 22:01 #13 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Would the instigator of this thread post up his achievements please;)

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
15 Jul 2010 22:48 #14 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Acara wrote:

Would the instigator of this thread post up his achievements please;)

Lol yeah, is there anything he hasnt bred?

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
16 Jul 2010 19:44 #15 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Back in the day - bred Mollies, Platys, Swordtails, Guppies - also Glowlight & other tetras, Siamese fighters, Odessa barbs, Bolivian Rams, Labidochromis caeruleus, Neolamprologus brichardi "daffodil", Haplochromis obliquedens. (some of the names might have since changed or been reclassified). There were more, but I cant remember them.

All done with undergravel filters, with air pumps and an occasional powerhead & copious water changes.

Have stocked up on the glowlights & Odessas to try and do it again. A couple of African cichlid tanks are currently under negotiation for the spare room . . .

More
16 Jul 2010 20:28 #16 by convict84 (sean farrell)
Xeon wrote:

I'm wondering if derek is going to post here :)

where is your list john ehh:laugh:

More
16 Jul 2010 20:36 #17 by convict84 (sean farrell)
i started off with guppys and other community fish,then i bought 2 convicts from daves trop shop,thats where it started for me,in the last two years ive had pairs of oscars,jags,convicts,pearsi,cutteri,and one project that im still working on is the ebjd

More
17 Jul 2010 11:02 #18 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
Guppies!:S :woohoo: in amaizing quantities!! I was happy to give most of them away!:cheer: Is there anybody interested in fat guppie girls?? :laugh:

More
17 Jul 2010 12:42 #19 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Katherine wrote:

Is there anybody interested in fat guppie girls?? :laugh:

~Yea, male guppies!~ :woohoo:

Sorry couldn't resist!

Daragh

More
17 Jul 2010 14:52 #20 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Katherine wrote:

Is there anybody interested in fat guppie girls?? :laugh:

~Yea, male guppies!~ :woohoo:

Sorry couldn't resist!

Daragh

:laugh: Daragh, Thanks a million for great sense of humor. I don't remember when I laught so much!! :laugh: :laugh:

More
17 Jul 2010 18:40 #21 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
I've bred countless numbers of Bolivian Ram Cichlids

More
22 Jul 2010 19:26 #22 by tina.d (Tina Doyle)
HI, HAVE BRED GUPPYS,SWORDS,MOLLYS,DANIOS, BLACK WIDOWS, KRIBS AND YELLOW RAMS. MY ALBINO CORYS ARE SPAUNING AS WE SPEAK.

More
22 Jul 2010 19:30 #23 by tina.d (Tina Doyle)
HI, AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO BREED RAMERIZE RAMS. ANY TIPS? HAVE BRED YELLOW RAMS IN THE PAST.

TINA.

More
22 Jul 2010 20:27 - 22 Jul 2010 20:29 #24 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
tina.d wrote:

HI, AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO BREED RAMERIZE RAMS. ANY TIPS? HAVE BRED YELLOW RAMS IN THE PAST.

TINA.

RAMERIZE RAMS are the same fish as yellow rams just a colour morph. So if you bred yellow rams then RAMERIZE RAMS will not cause a problem to you.

Last edit: 22 Jul 2010 20:29 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird).

More
24 Jul 2010 10:29 #25 by ejgibbo (eric)
jaguar cichlids , red devil cichlids , green severums , guppys , mollys , swordtails , platys , convicts , albino corys , firemouths , texas cichlids , kribs , angelfish , blood parrot cichlids , blue rams , and a few other small fish

More
24 Jul 2010 10:35 - 24 Jul 2010 10:38 #26 by dar (darren curry)
ejgibbo wrote:

blood parrot cichlids

you have bred these?

how far did it go for you

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic
Last edit: 24 Jul 2010 10:38 by dar (darren curry).

More
24 Jul 2010 10:51 #27 by ejgibbo (eric)
they lay eggs every 2 weeks , but the eggs have only made it to fry a few times ,
i couldnt save the fry in time :(

More
24 Jul 2010 10:53 #28 by joey (joe watson)
had very small amount of success with mollies but was using neutral water

just had great success with leleupi, wanted breeding pair and only took 2 months for a pair to form and spawn, about 20 wrigglers and the parents are at it again i think.

assasin snails have appeared all over the place in a 2 month old tank (snails i've had for 9 months) wasn't expecting anything from them

baby cherry shrimp have appeared in the dozens in their tank too but this was planned

and a tiger lotus (lilly) had propogated itself after a year. i know its not a fish but its in a tank and took me by suprise, didn't think it'd produce another bulb like that out of the blue

More
24 Jul 2010 13:32 #29 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Convicts baby yeah!! Cos Im that good ;) ;) ;) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
24 Jul 2010 13:48 #30 by JohnH (John)
Good man Jay!

Since the heading asks "What have you successfully bred?" I can tell you I am on (at least) the hundredth generation of pond snails, inadvertently introduced with Cyclops from Lough Derg, perhaps five years ago!
I can also boast a mean strain of blanket weed!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds