Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What have you successfully bred?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2010 19:57 #31 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:What have you successfully bred?
I have bred contempt for all you lucky buggers, success after success!!

Just kidding, the most significant success for me was 20 Cardinals, a spontaneous activity I had a Tank of Java Moss that was about knee height in the Bedroom.

There had been no traffic no inhabitants and no water changes for months, the Water had been taken from a water Butt that had Bogwood taken from an older Tank and left in the Butt to kill of a heavy growth of Algae.

One Evening, I decided to put in a Heater and a tiny corner filter in order to transfer 3 Cardinals I'd had for about 6 months, they were tiny and the survivors of a Heater malfunction so weren't very old but mature I'd guess.

I was intending to bring them into a lfs to trade or whatever.

The following morning, the Dog, no longer with us, needed out so I obliged, it gave me a chance to see if the Fish had survived the change of accommodation, there appeared to be 2 Females and one Male darting in and out of the Moss.

The Fish were going to be taken that day for trade so eating of eggs wasn't a concern as I didn't check for any as I'd assumed the Fish, being Piranha cousins , had probably eaten most of them.

The Tank was left in the same place for a few days and when I decided to take the Heater out ,I spotted things like small shards/splinters on the front of the Glass, maybe a hundred or so, this was just on the Aquarium, who knows how many were in the Moss etc, I as is the norm, panicked remembering scary tales Fungus etc, trusty Methylene Blue to ward it off. Who knows what this did, everything turned blue, Silicone, wood, you name it.

The success was 20 Cardinals that lived till a good age, I couldn't bring myself to sell them because after Guppies it was my second breeding success.

I have tried quite a few times to replicate this to no avail

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2010 20:27 #32 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Nice one Kev,this is indeed a feather in the cap...cardinals wouldnt be easy to breed at all. In fact majority of the cardinals in the lfs are indeed caught from their native habitat,if memory serves me right.

Gavin

More
24 Jul 2010 20:44 #33 by DJK (David Kinsella)
The only real success I've had are Bronze Corydoras. From just 1 pair I've bred and raised possibly 100 fry over the last year and a half. They are a truly magnificent pair and would not swap/sell them for anything. I do not do anything special to promote breeding, only leave them be and just let things happen while doing the basics well.

I must add also that I have got some very good advice from this Forum to help me along the way especially after the first couple of times they bred.

Dave

More
03 Aug 2010 18:42 #34 by SSS (Sion S)
loads and loads of guppies, and more recently cichlids, including Estherae (red zebras), Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs) and as of today 2 little Demasoni fry!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Aug 2010 19:37 #35 by stretnik (stretnik)
Just had success with Galaxies I got from Darren, these things are TINY I mean freaking TINY !! They are in a 60 liter with a couple of largish pieces of Bogwood and Moss everywhere.

Kev.

More
03 Aug 2010 21:21 #36 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Congrats! Took you a while:P

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Aug 2010 21:23 #37 by stretnik (stretnik)
I was willing and able, it was the Fish that took their time!!:P :P

Kev.

More
03 Jul 2011 00:37 #38 by smitas5 (Marius Smitas)
ancitrus plecos by mistake, meaning did not do any preparation...

More
09 Jul 2011 17:28 #39 by Adalantai (Eugene Kent)
wow great to see how many people have bred fish successfully.

Breeding gardeneri kilifish at moment. I posted pics of these guys in photo section while back.

Fist lot appeared 6 months ago without any intervention by me and got 10 babies that made it to adult hood so decided this summer to try bred them using wool spawn mops. first egg hatched this morning. :) 10 more should hatch before end of weekend and also collected another 20 eggs as i write. Prob sell most on this forum later as i am setting up a 2nd tank and the funds could come in handy. :P

What if our fears and dreams existed in same place?
What if to get to Heaven you had to brave Hell?
What if everything you ever wanted cost you everything you ever achieved?
Would you still go there?
No Fear

More
01 Nov 2011 09:03 - 01 Nov 2011 09:04 #40 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Jaguar cichlids,blue acara,texas cichlid,malawi cichlids red zebra,ice blue zebra,yellow lab,demansonai,moori dolphin,aurutus,guppies,zebra diano fish,bristle nose plec,apisto but fry died one day for no reason,corys a few types.Next project is jack dempseys and pirahna :-)
Last edit: 01 Nov 2011 09:04 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
01 Nov 2011 13:09 #41 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
That's a good range of fish Ceech.

If you manange to get the piranha breeding then defo get some pics up.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
01 Nov 2011 20:51 #42 by keitho (keith o reilly)
i have bred yellow labs,johannis and am trying to bred haplochromis electras and red empress

Dublin 24

More
01 Nov 2011 21:34 #43 by Patrick888 (Patrick Drummey)
So far bred L260's, L134's, Cichlasoma Salvini, Cyprichromis Leptosoma (Kerenge Island), Neolamprologus Olivaceous. Working on others....

Patrick

More
02 Nov 2011 15:14 #44 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)

Guppies!:S :woohoo: in amaizing quantities!! I was happy to give most of them away!:cheer: Is there anybody interested in fat guppie girls?? :laugh:

An update on it:

pseudomugil gertrudae, amandaes, and Cambarellus patzcuarensis Orange.

More
02 Nov 2011 21:53 #45 by Arcadian (Stephen)
Nothing too exciting, angels, kribs, jewel cichlids, convicts, mozambique mouthbrooders, Tilapia mariae, Melanochromis auratus & johanni, Nimbochromis livingstonii, Pseudotropheus esteherae, Neolamprologus brichardi.

Guess you could say I like cichlids :P

More
02 Nov 2011 22:01 #46 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Nothing too exciting, angels, kribs, jewel cichlids, convicts, mozambique mouthbrooders, Tilapia mariae, Melanochromis auratus & johanni, Nimbochromis livingstonii, Pseudotropheus esteherae, Neolamprologus brichardi.

Guess you could say I like cichlids :P

There's plenty of exciting stuff in that list.
Auratus and johanni are some of my favourite Malawis, auratus are stunning fish.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds